Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

No Huddle/ Spread Offense

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited April 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
How do you guys feel about every play from the Spring Scrimmage being out of the shotgun? I have been watching some games from last year saved on my dvr, and we ran the ball much better from under center than the shotgun. If you chart Bishop Sankey's highlight tape on youtube, you will find the same thing. The majority of his nice runs are with Price under center.

I have nothing against the no huddle/spread. I recognize that many of the best offenses are running it, but I am not sure we have the personnel to run it effectively. We have a QB that has not been mobile for two years, although I hear he looks better mobility wise now that he is healthier. Another thing to consider is that our OL was recruited here to run a pro style offense. Is anyone else as concerned about this as I am?

Comments

• HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

How do you guys feel about every play from the Spring Scrimmage being out of the shotgun? I have been watching some games from last year saved on my dvr, and we ran the ball much better from under center than the shotgun. If you chart Bishop Sankey's highlight tape on youtube, you will find the same thing. The majority of his nice runs are with Price under center.

I have nothing against the no huddle/spread. I recognize that many of the best offenses are running it, but I am not sure we have the personnel to run it effectively. We have a QB that has not been mobile for two years, although I hear he looks better mobility wise now that he is healthier. Another thing to consider is that our OL was recruited here to run a pro style offense. Is anyone else as concerned about this as I am?

Spring 2012 wants it's worthless optimism back.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm just glad there were no injuries.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    let it play out
  • Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited April 2013
    The spread for this team is a disaster. Terrible line that can't pass block, poor mobility at QB, receivers that drop passes and can't separate, marginal speed, etc. This is not a spread formula.

An offense is only as good as its line. This line does run block fairly well. If we run, and the other team can't stop it, they pull players closer to the line and it opens up the pass as we've seen. But this is offensive genius.....Cream Puff doesn't see it. (His nose is always buried in the play book; he doesn't have time to watch play on the field.)

So long story short, I'm not worried, because there's not much to worry about. This year is yet another wait till next season offering.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

The spread for this team is a disaster. Terrible line that can't pass block, poor mobility at QB, receivers that drop passes and can't separate, marginal speed, etc. This is not a spread formula.

An offense is only as good as its line. This line does run block fairly well. If we run, and the other team can't stop it, they pull players closer to the line and it opens up the pass as we've seen. But this is offensive genius.....Cream Puff doesn't see it. (His nose is always buried in the play book; he doesn't have time to watch play on the field.)

So long story short, I'm not worried, because there's not much to worry about. This year is yet another wait till next season offering.

The line issues have been fixed. Move on.
    I know. As Grinolds points out, I'm a negative asshole. That's why I'm here; there are many other negative assholes to hang out with.

Having said that, I'm incapable of moving on.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,177
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I don't believe this spread and hurry-up is similar to Oregon's offense as it is Oklahoma's.

I could be wrong though....but I don't believe it's a whole lot of read-option stuff.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013

Not really a lot of productive comments on this thread. Just people trying to post more witty one-liners than the next guy.

In response to your question, I don't understand why 'no huddle' = shotgun. Why can't a hurry up offense also feature a QB under center? It's weird to me. One answer could be that a shotgun formation means that the offensive line (which sucks) has to hold their blocks for a shorter period of time.

Anyway, I hear what you're saying. Sankey had a lot of good runs with Price under center, and my fear is that "pass-happy-Sark" is willing to sacrifice our already-good run game, for a hope-to-be-good passing game.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    The Spring "game" was all rope-a-dope. Boise JC will see something way different and they won't even know what hit 'em. That's my prediction and I'm sticking with it all the way through August.
    edited April 2013
    Actually, this is a productive, serious comment that's accurate as well as obvious.

• Passion said:

Not really a lot of productive comments on this thread. Just people trying to post more witty one-liners than the next guy.

It's obvious that there are some trolls here whose intent is to disrupt and eff up this forum before it can get started. Please have the mods ban those guys pronto.

I've been the mod of my own hobby board for years. If you don't ban those guys quickly and often, this board will get out of hand.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,177
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I'm starting to become a cancer and it's going to be my fault if they go 7-6.

• HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    I was always under the impression that its easier to run no huddle out of the shotgun because it means the QB doesnt have to go through his drop back every play and lets him see the secondary defense more clearly prior to the ball being snapped.

The reality is that we are not going to be running the no huddle anything close to how fast Oregon does, No huddle for Sarky means snapping the ball with about 7 seconds on the play clock so being under center really shouldnt matter a whole lot.

Sarktards reasons for running spread ("no huddle") shotgun formation:
    1. He likes to throw the ball more
    2. Price doesnt have to do his 3-7 step drop every play (saves his knees)
    3. ASJ will have more space up the seem/middle of the defense
    4. quick reads and throws (Sark has always thrown to set up the run)
    5. Sark loves the little WR bubble screen and RB swing pass
    6. OL doesnt have to block as long
    7. The RB can go out left or right every play for a dump off pass or stay in to block

Why running the spread ("no huddle") shotgun formation is fucktarded:
    1. The OL has actually been pretty decent at run blocking
    2. Sankey is one of the better players on offense get the ball in his hands
    3. Kasen Williams is slow and cant create separation in a small ammount of space
    4. The OL stinks at pass blocking
    5. Its pussy football that isnt going to smash the defense into the ground (Stanford) or run the defense up and down the field with speed everywhere (Oregon)
    6. Kevin Price isnt the semi mobile QB that he used to be
    7. Other than mickens the team is relatively slow on offense

If you are going to run no huddle then actually do it and stop this bullshit Price putting his hands over his ear holes in his helmet and looking to corky while his head is burried in his stupid fucking playsheet between every play