Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Question for my Cash guysm?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
edited May 2022 in Tug Tavern
The Snow family tries to maintain a year's worth of net take home pay in the rainy day fund protected by the FDIC. I just got an email from our High Yield Savings account that the interest rate is down to .80%. I guess I can't complain too much since we just got a 30 year fixed at 2.95% but still it's annoying.

Is there any other relatively save haven for savings besides CD, money markets, etc? I'm not like @swaye and don't have the balls to just keep it in guns and Rolex watches.

Comments

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I don't know man, Rolex watches are a pretty good appreciating asset class.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

I don't know man, Rolex watches are a pretty good appreciating asset class.

We put a small amount into Rolex as you know.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Start a Cannabis business
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    80% lowers and ammo until after the election.
  • godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,405
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If you have a 10 year time, precious metals could be a place to go. Not today after the run silver has had, but when you can only get 2% yield tops in the bank and it has to be there for 10 years, the bar to beat that is really low.

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2020
    Have you thought about putting it all into the Robinhood IPO?
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,395
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The only problem with cash is it's vulnerable to becoming worthless if there's a big jump in inflation. The rate at which the Fed is making free money appear out of nowhere has me a little worried about that. How much liquidity do you need?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ladder municipal bonds.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

The only problem with cash is it's vulnerable to becoming worthless if there's a big jump in inflation. The rate at which the Fed is making free money appear out of nowhere has me a little worried about that. How much liquidity do you need?

I want to have a year's worth of household expenses not exposed to any short term downturns in the markets.

Inflation is tricky to predict and since 2009 everyone says it's coming but hasn't materialized. Doesn't there have to be higher demand chasing a limited number of goods to really get inflation going?
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited August 2020
    Ideally collecting interest shouldn't be the primary goal here. Like you said, this is a rainy day fund. Even if it doesn't collect any interest, it's serving it's purpose. I kind of think an entire year is a little much considering you can cut back expenses and make 6 months last close to a year if you had to. But really, just don't touch it, and any additional funds you have dump them into credit card, car, trailer, or school debt. The interest you are saving by paying these off will at least keep up with the market all day long.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Banks run various promotions for deposits. Citi is giving out $700 for 50k deposit - currently moved my cash there. Also Marcus has no penalty cd that will get you 10 bps more just moving it there