Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

USPS: An American Success Story In Hemorrhaging Taxpayer Money

NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
This is what a successful government service that definitely doesn’t need to be rebuilt looks like. He’s Dismantling It!

https://keller.house.gov/media/in-the-news/usps-has-lost-78-billion-2007-despite-receiving-billions-taxpayers-every-year

USPS has lost $78 billion since 2007 despite receiving billions from taxpayers every year. Democrats still want a bailout.

A new government report shows the severity of the United States Postal Service's poor financial conditions and demonstrates the need for a long-term fix for the agency — not a bailout, as Democrats have suggested.

The report, released Thursday by the U.S. Government Accountability Office, found that the Postal Service's financial problems existed long before the COVID-19 pandemic and highlighted the need for Congress to step in and institute major reforms.

The key data point: Between fiscal years 2007 and 2019, the Postal Service netted losses of approximately $78 billion — and that's despite receiving roughly $18 billion each year from American taxpayers.

Comments

• PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,583 Standard Supporter
    Contract the service out to UPS, FedEx and Amazon. The USPS is a joke and has been for years.

Nobody gives a fuck who drops the mail off. Just get me my Costco coupons.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Why change any voting systems at all before an election?
  • NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    Because despite the fake polls, Democrats know they are fucked in the Electoral College and are trying again to delegitimize a Trump win. Helps in House and Senate races even more in terms of cheating. That area of the district t that is heavy GOP. Whoops, ballots didn’t make it one time.
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958 Standard Supporter
    edited August 2020
    No one is questioning that the Post Office (and other government run institutions, like public schools) is badly mismanaged.

ATBS, I think it’s important that certain services are offered by the government in addition to the private sector. (See, I’m a mixed economy, ABUNDANCE sort of girl...I think America works best when businesses and the government keep each other in check.)

I know a lot of my thoughts RE: stem for illogical fears that this will just lead us down a slippery slope of everything being privatized (for $10 a month you can add the first response package (fire and police) to your Amazon Prime membership!)

I do understand that countries like the UK and Japan have either completely or are in the process of privatizing their mail system. So far (I wanna say these efforts started in the 2000s?!?!), so good?

I love to hear mor arguments on this issue either way.
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam
    Why the fuck does it need to exist in 2020 when there are other carriers that do the same thing but better?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,500 Swaye's Wigwam

No one is questioning that the Post Office (and other government run institutions, like public schools) is badly mismanaged.

ATBS, I think it’s important that certain services are offered by the government in addition to the private sector. (See, I’m a mixed economy, ABUNDANCE sort of girl...I think America works best when businesses and the government keep each other in check.)

I know a lot of my thoughts RE: stem for illogical fears that this will just lead us down a slippery slope of everything being privatized (for $10 a month you can add the first response package (fire and police) to your Amazon Prime membership!)

I do understand that countries like the UK and Japan have either completely or are in the process of privatizing their mail system. So far (I wanna say these efforts started in the 2000s?!?!), so good?

I love to hear mor arguments on this issue either way.

The government sucks at everything because they have no incentive to be lean