Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big Dick Donald

Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,859
Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Founders Club
Exec order payroll tax holiday, $400/week unemployment, and stopping evictions. Who knows if he can do it or not legally, but will force dems to take him to court to find out. Not a good luck to sue with intent of stopping the money flowing. Don gets all the credit for the money if they don’t sue.

Either way it’s a nice move.

Comments

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Puts the Democrats in a corner if they try to sue and delay benefits. But what about marijuana legalization! The shit both sides in Congress puts in these relief bills is so tired. Just pass a clean relief bill but nope, pork and pet projects for all.

https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2020/08/trumps-political-masterstroke.php

TRUMP’S POLITICAL MASTERSTROKE

President Trump says he will sign an Executive Order to ease the suffering of those harmed by the pandemic-related shutdowns and to stimulate the economy. Congress has failed to agree on a new package to accomplish these things.

Trump’s Executive Order would include these four components: (1) a payroll tax holiday until the end of the year, (2) an extension of enhanced unemployment benefits until the end of the year, (3) an extension of the eviction moratorium for federal subsidized housing, and (4) a suspension of student loan payments until further notice.

Questions surround the legality of accomplishing at least some of these things via executive order. Trump’s response to that might be, “so sue me.”

There are also questions about the fiscal impact of some of the measures, at least for those who still care about the national debt. In addition, there are questions about the efficacy of a payroll tax cut and the wisdom of extended generous unemployment benefits.

However, as a political matter, Trump’s move looks like a masterstroke. Since the days of FDR, the public has always seemed to approve of presidents who act to ameliorate suffering while Congress diddles. A flurry of activity, even of the futile or potentially counterproductive kind, makes a president look energetic and caring.

In this instance, Trump’s move might well force congressional Democrats to reach a deal. That outcome, too, would be a political win for the president.
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,097
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2020
    Except this is a payroll tax deferral and not a tax cut and the payroll taxes would just come due at a later date (see: after the election). Is that accurate?

The optics do benefit him for the time being regardless, even if he can’t legally do these things.
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

Except this is a payroll tax deferral and not a tax cut and the payroll taxes would just come due at a later date (see: after the election). Is that accurate?

The optics do benefit him for the time being regardless, even if he can’t legally do these things.

No, it’s an actual payroll tax holiday, as in you won’t need to pay in full at a later date if Trump is re-elected. Now he puts Biden in a spot to say the same if he’s elected in November.

Of course, CNN already has a reason for why this is bad. It is odd to me that we’re 3 months from the election and this is the first tim I remember Social Security being mentioned. What are the issues right now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/07/politics/social-security-medicare-trump-payroll-taxes/index.html

Coronavirus has already dealt a blow to Social Security's finances. Trump's payroll tax holiday could make it worse
  • Options

MelloDawg said:

No, it’s an actual payroll tax holiday, as in you won’t need to pay in full at a later date if Trump is re-elected. Now he puts Biden in a spot to say the same if he’s elected in November.

Of course, CNN already has a reason for why this is bad. It is odd to me that we’re 3 months from the election and this is the first tim I remember Social Security being mentioned. What are the issues right now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/07/politics/social-security-medicare-trump-payroll-taxes/index.html

Coronavirus has already dealt a blow to Social Security's finances. Trump's payroll tax holiday could make it worse
    The issue is about to be Social Security. Not sure if Biden will promise to continue the “holiday,” but he likely will cite this as an attempt to weaken Social Security. I can’t imagine that idea resonating well with some.
  • Options
    Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,859
    Photogenic First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited August 2020
    Those that are in or approaching in will be unaffected. Those of us that are far away were already screwed, this doesn’t change that.
  • Options
    MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

The issue is about to be Social Security. Not sure if Biden will promise to continue the “holiday,” but he likely will cite this as an attempt to weaken Social Security. I can’t imagine that idea resonating well with some.
    Social Security is already fucked. Or maybe the Fed can print another trillion or so dollars to prop it up like they did to help keep Obama from completely destroying the economy. Also move interest rates back to zero.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,158
    Swaye's Wigwam
    400 a week

The rest is inside baseball
  • Options

MelloDawg said:

MelloDawg said:

Social Security is already fucked. Or maybe the Fed can print another trillion or so dollars to prop it up like they did to help keep Obama from completely destroying the economy. Also move interest rates back to zero.
    I didn’t anticipate it being there when I retired anyway. That’s why I moved my entire IRA into Tesla stock.
  • Options
    GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 5,339
    First Comment 5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Id put it in carnival or untied now way down from where it will be once we open up in 6 months ish
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,639
    No evictions is no bueno. Hope my renters don't stop paying because it's in place.
  • Options
    Sledog said:

No evictions is no bueno. Hope my renters don't stop paying because it's in place.

The order doesn’t mandate they be stopped though, just for federal agencies to reconsider if they should be stopped.

Regarding the other measures, I’ve often found that in EOs that the change they’re trying to affect with them is rarely realized immediately. I think he wins more by painting any Democrat lawsuits as an effort to stop benefits, rather than the benefits actually helping immediately.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,917
    Founders Club
    edited August 2020
    Swaye said:

Also, Pelosi is still at the checkers board wondering what happened as Trump bellowed checkmate. Game. Set. Match.

They can whine about SS all they want. All people will see is that Trump wanted to help them while Dems took him to court to stop it. Baller move.

Except that the MSM will lie about how it happened and many folks only get their news from one source

Add: but it was def a baller move
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Bob_C said:

Exec order payroll tax holiday, $400/week unemployment, and stopping evictions. Who knows if he can do it or not legally, but will force dems to take him to court to find out. Not a good luck to sue with intent of stopping the money flowing. Don gets all the credit for the money if they don’t sue.

Either way it’s a nice move.

The evictions thing is stupid. If people are getting an extra $400 a week in free money to pay rent there should not be a ban on evictions.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,472
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    MelloDawg said:

Sledog said:

The order doesn’t mandate they be stopped though, just for federal agencies to reconsider if they should be stopped.

Regarding the other measures, I’ve often found that in EOs that the change they’re trying to affect with them is rarely realized immediately. I think he wins more by painting any Democrat lawsuits as an effort to stop benefits, rather than the benefits actually helping immediately.
    You don't understand how government works if you think the evictions order is just for federal departments to "consider" if the van should continue. His order guarantees they will. If I ask my 2 year old to consider if he'd like one of those fruit pouch snacks for every meal what do you think he's going to say?
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    MelloDawg said:

The suspension will not be paid back regardless of the election. Trump said he would make the suspension permanent if re-elected.

It's not a deferment or a holiday, it's a true suspension.

What happens to social security? Stay tuned. Most people can't handle nor comprehend the dissoution of the central bank and fiat system. (Self included but I understand a little more than I give myself credit). Trump has already taken steps that have weakened the central banks.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,751
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Also, Pelosi is still at the checkers board wondering what happened as Trump bellowed checkmate. Game. Set. Match.

They can whine about SS all they want. All people will see is that Trump wanted to help them while Dems took him to court to stop it. Baller move.

Except that the MSM will lie about how it happened and many folks only get their news from one source

Add: but it was def a baller move
    This is how conversation on politics with my two Dads ends. "I can't talk to you. You only get your news from one source."
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,776
    edited August 2020
    The new narrative out there is that Trump is out to destroy Social Security and Medicare with these executive orders.

Couple 'friends' on the book of faces has been non-stop for the last 24 hours screaching about Trump hating old people.

They gave up on the racist rants about 3 weeks ago.