Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

There will be no on campus school this fall

RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,650 Founders Club
Bank it.

Down here in the central valley of CA they just made the announcement. Orange man bad destroy EVERYTHING!

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,486 Standard Supporter
    SALT are canceled
  • GoduckiesGoduckies Member Posts: 6,242
  • trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    Funding the teacher’s retirement system (STRS) is paid out first. Whatever is left over funds the bloated bureaucracy of the failing public school system in California.

Let’s keep our priorities straight.
  • thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,997
    Financially crippling for families with elementary school age kids.

Imagine being a single mom right now. Holy shit.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,968

Bank it.

Down here in the central valley of CA they just made the announcement. Orange man bad destroy EVERYTHING!

Is your daughter's college back to campus? Or one of those modified deals?

Both of mine are slated to back full tim, BUT, many of the classes are online or hybrid. It's going to be a shit show.

And, of course, tuition hasn't been modified.

Harvard shut down altogether, but that's probably the only school who really doesn't need the tuition revenue.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    thechatch said:

Or ever.
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,650 Founders Club

Bank it.

Both of mine are slated to back full tim, BUT, many of the classes are online or hybrid. It's going to be a shit show.

Harvard shut down altogether, but that's probably the only school who really doesn't need the tuition revenue.
    As of right now, they do have the option of coming back on campus but they are pushing online only hard. We're worried if they do decide to cave because we've signed a lease for off campus housing and it's extremely expensive as 1 of the girls backed out in fear. The IVYs started the dominoes back in late Feb early March before and the rest fell in line. But this time their seems to be more resistance so my bank it claim may be in jeopardy from which I'll happily eat my crow.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,982 Founders Club

So it's happening. Wife's former teachers are getting snapped up left and right to run homeschooling for 4-6 kids privately. Won't surprise me if public school headcount is down more than 20% just to begin the year. Then as parents talk and wise up it will accelerate.

Watch the wholesale reversal of policy before Christmas break as the scramble to keep the ship from completely sinking.

Will I be getting a property tax refund?
  • georgiaduckgeorgiaduck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,927 Swaye's Wigwam
    Our kids' High School just sent an email stating In Person Classes will resume Aug 12th. This is a Catholic school here in ATL so I'm sure this will be the rule throughout the diocese. It's about ten miles to campus, but I'm pretty sure my daughter will jog there on the first day back.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Public schools just signed their own business models to closure. I can't wait for the California teachers union to be broken.

It is the perfect example of what happens when you are stuck in an intellectual bubble. I'm sure it has not yet crossed the mind of a single teacher than people across the political spectrum are not going to sit idle, continue to pay property tax at full freight, so that teachers can sit at home collecting what amounts to a welfare check w/ full bennies.

Great time to be a teacher if you really want to teach. Go private. Get snapped up.

Horrible time to be a teacher if you were in it for the pension and the free summers. This inefficiency in our system has to be revisited.

It will hit public unis too. The private unis other than Harvard got religion real quick just as I said they would back in April. The vast majority, even the well endowed, simply cannot "take off" a year or two w/o tuition revenue. The professors still get paid, still get health insurance, staff, maintenance, etc. It's a lot harder to moth ball a college campus than you think.

UW cannot continue to not run for much longer; and a substantial number of kids there have parents who are bringing in less $$ than they were before all this. They're going to pay full freight for online? I don't think so.

It's no different than with the airlines. Was anyone really surprised with United Airlines? Really? You don't think Delta, AA, etc. are right around the corner? Who knew it was economically infeasible to maintain the full capital investment in an airline scheme that was designed to fly X number of flights per day, and has been since March flying X-Y number of flights per day with half empty planes? It's almost like it's a profit-making deal or something.

JFC

• TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,889 Standard Supporter
    With few exceptions, IQs will rise across the board as a result of these closures.

Spells Big Big Trouble for Teachers Unions and Democrats.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,666 Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

I am imaging it - I would prostitute myself out to make ends meet. I think more married women should do that also. and single women. well more women anyway
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,968

Bank it.

As of right now, they do have the option of coming back on campus but they are pushing online only hard. We're worried if they do decide to cave because we've signed a lease for off campus housing and it's extremely expensive as 1 of the girls backed out in fear. The IVYs started the dominoes back in late Feb early March before and the rest fell in line. But this time their seems to be more resistance so my bank it claim may be in jeopardy from which I'll happily eat my crow.
    re leases, me too. two of them. main reason is that both are in programs that involves a lot of research, and having that proximity to faculty is important. I just can't see them doing it well from home. we also assumed it will be "welcome back to campus" and everyone would be scrambling for off campus - not wanting to be a part of the on-campus shit show - and I was right as Race about that. So even though the situation remains uncertain, we have secured off-campus housing and, come what may, the school can't tell us what to do re living accomodations. You know, like tell you while you're on spring break that you have to come back and get your shit and move out.

this is the ultimate LIPO situation. you can only make the best decision possible with the information you have at hand at the time.

good luck.