Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

How many of these movies have you seen?

Comments

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,538
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    29'ish. Not sure on a couple of them so it might be 26 or 27. I think the most recent one was at least 8 years ago
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

42. I have never read or seen anything related to hobbits.

You're missing out. Not on the movies...they're shite (dont tell Gladstone I said so). The books are an amazing way to piss away a couple of weeks though. I still speed read them once every few years and catch something in the dialogue that I missed or forgot or some description of the terrain and map (my favorite aspect of his writing) that had escaped my attention.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,315
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

You're missing out. Not on the movies...they're shite (dont tell Gladstone I said so). The books are an amazing way to piss away a couple of weeks though. I still speed read them once every few years and catch something in the dialogue that I missed or forgot or some description of the terrain and map (my favorite aspect of his writing) that had escaped my attention.
    That is my least favorite aspect of his writing and why I barely got through the books and haven't picked them up again. "So in this paragraph, the band of merry weirdos traverses three continents, fights four battles, gets laid, and develops a super power. Now enjoy seven pages about this mushroom here."

And it takes something pretty shitty (just my opinion) to be the worst aspect of his writing when you take all the gaping plot holes into account.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

That is my least favorite aspect of his writing and why I barely got through the books and haven't picked them up again. "So in this paragraph, the band of merry weirdos traverses three continents, fights four battles, gets laid, and develops a super power. Now enjoy seven pages about this mushroom here."

And it takes something pretty shitty (just my opinion) to be the worst aspect of his writing when you take all the gaping plot holes into account.
    Let's just agree to...well...you fuck off.
  • Options
    NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    45 for me as well. Lion King, WALL-E, and the 3 newest ones on the list from '13/'14. Life started going to shit around '13 so no surprise there.

... fucking hell; has it really been that long?!
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

45 for me as well. Lion King, WALL-E, and the 3 newest ones on the list from '13/'14. Life started going to shit around '13 so no surprise there.

... fucking hell; has it really been that long?!

Guardians of the Galaxy was pretty good. Definitely not the comic book movie script.

Haven't seen the two other newest ones.
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,868
    Standard Supporter

I can only remember about 10 of them, though.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And for the record, I picked up one of those books in like 4th or 5th grade, read a few pages and will never, ever pick it up again.

Fifth grade for me, after watching the hilarious stoner cartoon movies. Still one of the bigger wastes of time in my life, and that's saying a LOT.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Let's just agree to...well...you fuck off.
    You could save yourself 3000 pages and just speedread this every couple of years:

Or maybe you just hate your time.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You guys are a couple of faggot simpletons. It comes as no surprise.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

You're right. It's the simpletons who appreciate stories in which problems are solved by logic, physics, and within the constraints of the previously established plot structure. Smart, complex people like stories in which problems are solved by the sudden introduction of new magic and creatures, usually in conflict with the previously established plot. And long-winded descriptions of stumps and ferns and shit.

"My favorite book about magic spells and wizards and goblins is too intellectual for you!" said some retard in this thread.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

You're right. It's the simpletons who appreciate stories in which problems are solved by logic, physics, and within the constraints of the previously established plot structure. Smart, complex people like stories in which problems are solved by the sudden introduction of new magic and creatures, usually in conflict with the previously established plot. And long-winded descriptions of stumps and ferns and shit.

"My favorite book about magic spells and wizards and goblins is too intellectual for you!" said some retard in this thread.
    JFC man lighten up. You're the one who was insulting from the start. I was just playing along and going (obviously) overboard with it. I thought you'd get it. I dont think ill of you for not liking those books.

You're missing a lot there based on the way you describe them, but that's all good. Tolkien's gift was world creation and, if his writing style works for you, describing them in a way that makes you feel like you're there. Also LOTR is just the conclusion of an epic project that starts at the beginning of everything and has thousands of years of history of the people who came before that part of the story. i think it's amazing and rises above petty plot holes and all the other shit you mentioned (most of which is bull shit anyways but...).

I do the same thing all the time, and often find that I actually like something I've been talking shit about. I'm a huge Alice in Chains fan now, but hated them from 1991 until about 2010. I first noticed Neil Young outside of a few radio songs when Freedom Came out. I hated it, and didnt change my mind about him for several years. Now he's my favorite musician.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

JFC man lighten up. You're the one who was insulting from the start. I was just playing along and going (obviously) overboard with it. I thought you'd get it. I dont think ill of you for not liking those books.

I've seen this as internet shit-talking the whole time--I don't give a fuck about LOTR--but how was I insulting from the start? I matter-of-factly pointed out that your favorite part of his writing is my least favorite, even explicitly stating it was just my opinion. That's kids gloves for Hardcore Husky. Everything since is tit for tat.

And, with that...

• Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,606
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2020
    Might be generational, but I've seen 50/50

It's a pretty basic bitch millennial male must see list.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,120
    Founders Club