Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best rock album of 1991?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,885
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Best rock album of 1991? 33 votes

Achtung Baby - U2
9%
GrundleStiltzkinDoog_de_JourEl_K 3 votes
Ten - Peal Jam
9%
DerekJohnsonTequillaFishpo31 3 votes
Metallica (Black Album) - Metallica
12%
SwayegreenbloodBleachedAnusDawgLesGrossman 4 votes
Nevermind - Nirvana
36%
whlinderRoadDawg55Mad_Sondncchuckbiak1huskyhooliganBasemanNEsnake12YellowSnowJoeEDangerouslyGayThoughts 12 votes
Blood Sugar Sex Magik - Red Hot Chili Peppers
3%
79smoothdawg 1 vote
Use Your Illusion I & II - G n' R
9%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverspudenIce_Holmvik 3 votes
Bad Motorfinger - Soundgarden
9%
alumni94dfleaNoWarningJustDawg 3 votes
Out of Time - REM
3%
BennyBeaver 1 vote
Temple of the Dog - Temple of the Dog
6%
BlackieHoustonHusky 2 votes
F.O., Row Peter Puffer, it's...
3%
theknowledge 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,801

I'm planning to do 2 album shit poles per day. Tomorrow will be 1966 and 1992, then 1967 and 1993...you get the picture. This was we can please the ok boomers, gen x bros and millennial douche canoes all at once.

Nothing pleases the millennials.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    1991 being without question the greatest year of my life even though I didn't know it at the time (Redskins 14-2, SB Champ, Huskies 12-0, won natty and popped off), I include all of the music I like which was released then. Nevermind, Ten, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, the Black album, I never associate Achtung Baby with that year. I like U2, and I love that album and many of the songs on it, but it's not a 1991 album to me.

Into the Great Wide Open was also 1991, not one of Petty's best but warrants mentioning.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,885
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    whlinder said:

1991 being without question the greatest year of my life even though I didn't know it at the time (Redskins 14-2, SB Champ, Huskies 12-0, won natty and popped off), I include all of the music I like which was released then. Nevermind, Ten, Blood Sugar Sex Magik, the Black album, I never associate Achtung Baby with that year. I like U2, and I love that album and many of the songs on it, but it's not a 1991 album to me.

Into the Great Wide Open was also 1991, not one of Petty's best but warrants mentioning.

Yeah, but still it was a mediocre row boat season - ie 4th in the Natty race (Cincinnati regatta since UW still was in IRA hiatus).
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,247
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ten - Peal Jam
    Being the Boomer (NOT a sooner, FTG) that I am, I actually spent the early 90’s listening to a lot of jazz and blues...I was over U2, over G n’ R, and never dialed in to the angst and despair of Nirvana and SG, which was not really that different than PJ, but I could understand Kurt’s vocals, Eddie’s not so much. For me, PJ had a little more groove (prolly Cruzen / Abruzzese). Was exposed to Metallica, which is my #2 here. Ten grew on me, as has Nevermind, but Ten had a jump...Blast away!
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Bad Motorfinger - Soundgarden
    As a drummer, Badmotorfinger is the best drummer album of the 90's.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,954
    Founders Club
    Ten - Peal Jam
    Fishpo31 said:

Being the Boomer (NOT a sooner, FTG) that I am, I actually spent the early 90’s listening to a lot of jazz and blues...I was over U2, over G n’ R, and never dialed in to the angst and despair of Nirvana and SG, which was not really that different than PJ, but I could understand Kurt’s vocals, Eddie’s not so much. For me, PJ had a little more groove (prolly Cruzen / Abruzzese). Was exposed to Metallica, which is my #2 here. Ten grew on me, as has Nevermind, but Ten had a jump...Blast away!

I'm not a Boomer but I love Ten. If I had looked at this poll on a different day, I might have picked Nevermind.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,856
    Founders Club
    Use Your Illusion I & II - G n' R
    I voted based on my 18-year self's favorite at the time. Ten and Never Mind are probably tied for 47-year old me.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nevermind - Nirvana

Fishpo31 said:

I've always felt Pearl Jam was basically grunge packaged for classic rock bros. Alive is basically the Free Bird of the early 90s.
    Top 40 friendly "grunge". Pearl Jam was the first band from that wave that I thought was ok at the time. That's how I know they suck.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,247
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Ten - Peal Jam

Fishpo31 said:

I've always felt Pearl Jam was basically grunge packaged for classic rock bros. Alive is basically the Free Bird of the early 90s.
    Spot on...as I have learned over the years of the different likes and influences of the Seattle bands and musicians, PJ’s list is / was probably closest-aligned to my own, certainly in 91...Brah
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Nevermind - Nirvana
    Hell of a year for rock.

Hard to top this shit though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkcJEvMcnEg

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited July 2020
    The "Enter Sandman" intro is arguably the best intro of all-time
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Nevermind - Nirvana

The "Enter Sandman" intro is arguably the best come out of the locker room entrance song of all-time

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    dnc said:

The "Enter Sandman" intro is arguably the best come out of the locker room entrance song of all-time

Hell yeah, nothing made you feel more like a bad ass than running out on to the field to that song
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Achtung Baby - U2

whlinder said:

Yeah, but still it was a mediocre row boat season - ie 4th in the Natty race (Cincinnati regatta since UW still was in IRA hiatus).
    Oh! If that’s the case than fuck 1991.