Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mark Nabou, 2022 3* OL, Seattle (O'Dea), WA (mutually parted ways)

Comments

• Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,901
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

NICE! We still going to have room for the rest? Connerly, Agbo, Ioane and Iuli if they wanna come?
    I have no idea if this kid is good or not but from my 10,000 feet view with no actually recruit video review or insider sources - this plus the Arizona OL commitment tells me they don’t think they are getting more than 1 or 2 of the above guys that you mentioned. Based on looking at the offer lists of all of the kids seems like Huff might not be having his best year.

Offer lists aren’t the end all be all, and if Connerly and Agbo are the two who commit I won’t be complaining. Also happy to have someone who spends time watching OL Hudl’s tell me I’m wrong and tell me why this kid or the AZ kid are better than some of the aforementioned players but that’s kind of where I’m at.
    His film is like watching The Blind Side movie ... he’s just scratching the surface of his abilities

Between Socha’s rhino cum and Huff’s teaching ... he should be good
    What has Huff taught outside of getting dominated on 3rd and short and inability to show up against any top 25 team outside of the P12?
    So the year before it was blamed on a shitty and complex offensive scheme and last year the sample size was too small IMO.

He has proven the ability to recruit but I would say he’s one under performing season away from sucking.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,509
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I like this take. I always saw Nabou as the local OL in this class who was the lowest-rated signed but who could end up being a 2-3-year starter down the road.

I had dreams of taking Conerly, Agbo, Iuli, Ioane and Nabou but now to me it seems like Huff's success all comes down to if he can get Conerly and either Agbo or Iuli.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Cascade Front?
  • Options
    Edwin_BambinoEdwin_Bambino Member Posts: 2,943

NICE! We still going to have room for the rest? Connerly, Agbo, Ioane and Iuli if they wanna come?
    I have no idea if this kid is good or not but from my 10,000 feet view with no actually recruit video review or insider sources - this plus the Arizona OL commitment tells me they don’t think they are getting more than 1 or 2 of the above guys that you mentioned. Based on looking at the offer lists of all of the kids seems like Huff might not be having his best year.

Offer lists aren’t the end all be all, and if Connerly and Agbo are the two who commit I won’t be complaining. Also happy to have someone who spends time watching OL Hudl’s tell me I’m wrong and tell me why this kid or the AZ kid are better than some of the aforementioned players but that’s kind of where I’m at.
    Offer lists are not a reliable method of determining much of anything and I'll tell you why.

1. Summer camps provide an avenue for kids to get a lot of scholarship offers. The 2022 class did not have an opportunity to attend summer camps last year and camping season for this year just started yesterday. In fact, Hero Kanu just received an offer from Georgia after attending their camp. I also saw Alabama just offered a TE after an unofficial visit. But, kids that have already committed, my son for example, cancelled all of his summer camp visits because he has the offer he wants, he committed, and he is no longer on the market. Hence, I don't expect him to receive any more offers nor does he care if he receives any more offers.

2. Offer lists provide a false sense of player value. Again, I'll use my son for example. He, along with two teammates, received offers at about the same time from Colorado. My son didn't hear from Colorado for almost two months and he assumed the relationship/offer was dead. Then Colorado started asking all types of questions and asking for additional information like photos showing/proving how tall he was, his wingspan, his weight, hand width, transcripts, etc. etc. Basically, the type of info you would think a school would seek before making an offer. Once he sent them the additional information, he started receiving weekly calls and zoom meetings with the staff and HC. The other two teammates never heard from Colorado again. In sum, you have three kids with the same "offer" on paper, but in reality, only one of them was being recruited by Colorado and had a committable offer. Unfortunately, a lot schools recruit like Colorado (ASU/Tennessee come to mind). By that I mean, they throw out hundreds of offers (ASU and Colorado are near or above 400 offers for the 2022 class) with absolutely no intent for those offers to mean anything. Other schools like UW, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal do a lot a research before they make an offer; hence, it's a meaningful offer. In fact, UW had been contacting my son and his HS coaches 3 months or so before they actually offered him. They used that time to evaluate his film (to include practice film), talk to teachers, counselors, and yes...even classmates. UW was extremely thorough in their evaluation process.

3. Offer lists do not provide the full story. There are several schools that were either talking to/recruiting my son, or were having several conversations with my son's HS coaches that had not yet developed to the point where an offer was made. For example, UCLA, Oregon, Cal, Utah, Oklahoma St., and tOSU were either talking to my son or talking to his HS coaches about him. His HS coaches told me that they were confident that at least two of the schools were planning to offer. See also Paragraph 1.

4. Offer lists do not prove talent/ability. You seem to acknowledge this above when you stated, "Offer lists aren't the end all be all." To your point, Kedon Slovis' offer sheet isn't the most impressive list that I've seen, but he's proven to be a damn good QB. Similarly, Nick Harris' offer sheet was pretty short and I think he turned out all right. And there are a lot more.

5. You didn't mention star ratings, but while I'm on my soapbox, I'll add that star ratings are an even worse measure of player potential. If Blair Angulo was so goddamned good at evaluating potential talent, I promise you that he'd be making a high 6 or 7 figure salary at the university of his choosing. Google "Blake Carringer" or "Unique Brissett II"...it's comical.

Interesting insights, thanks.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Great chit thank you
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    On top of all papabrailsford's info ... just touch upon again about being a covid year ... schools that tend to be on the side of the thorough eval side have a advantage on the recruiting trail.

Kids that don't have the same opportunities for exposure as in years past (7vs7, camps, visits, plain old games) will be overlooked or underrated.

The top schools will enjoy the advantage as usual including NCAA transfer portal free agency (see Georgia picking up potentially a top 2-3 tight end and another former 5 star) while schools like Washington will rely heavier on traditional academics and development.

NCAA football as we knew it pre-portal is gone forever
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    edited June 2021

Offer lists are not a reliable method of determining much of anything and I'll tell you why.

1. Summer camps provide an avenue for kids to get a lot of scholarship offers. The 2022 class did not have an opportunity to attend summer camps last year and camping season for this year just started yesterday. In fact, Hero Kanu just received an offer from Georgia after attending their camp. I also saw Alabama just offered a TE after an unofficial visit. But, kids that have already committed, my son for example, cancelled all of his summer camp visits because he has the offer he wants, he committed, and he is no longer on the market. Hence, I don't expect him to receive any more offers nor does he care if he receives any more offers.

2. Offer lists provide a false sense of player value. Again, I'll use my son for example. He, along with two teammates, received offers at about the same time from Colorado. My son didn't hear from Colorado for almost two months and he assumed the relationship/offer was dead. Then Colorado started asking all types of questions and asking for additional information like photos showing/proving how tall he was, his wingspan, his weight, hand width, transcripts, etc. etc. Basically, the type of info you would think a school would seek before making an offer. Once he sent them the additional information, he started receiving weekly calls and zoom meetings with the staff and HC. The other two teammates never heard from Colorado again. In sum, you have three kids with the same "offer" on paper, but in reality, only one of them was being recruited by Colorado and had a committable offer. Unfortunately, a lot schools recruit like Colorado (ASU/Tennessee come to mind). By that I mean, they throw out hundreds of offers (ASU and Colorado are near or above 400 offers for the 2022 class) with absolutely no intent for those offers to mean anything. Other schools like UW, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal do a lot a research before they make an offer; hence, it's a meaningful offer. In fact, UW had been contacting my son and his HS coaches 3 months or so before they actually offered him. They used that time to evaluate his film (to include practice film), talk to teachers, counselors, and yes...even classmates. UW was extremely thorough in their evaluation process.

3. Offer lists do not provide the full story. There are several schools that were either talking to/recruiting my son, or were having several conversations with my son's HS coaches that had not yet developed to the point where an offer was made. For example, UCLA, Oregon, Cal, Utah, Oklahoma St., and tOSU were either talking to my son or talking to his HS coaches about him. His HS coaches told me that they were confident that at least two of the schools were planning to offer. See also Paragraph 1.

4. Offer lists do not prove talent/ability. You seem to acknowledge this above when you stated, "Offer lists aren't the end all be all." To your point, Kedon Slovis' offer sheet isn't the most impressive list that I've seen, but he's proven to be a damn good QB. Similarly, Nick Harris' offer sheet was pretty short and I think he turned out all right. And there are a lot more.

5. You didn't mention star ratings, but while I'm on my soapbox, I'll add that star ratings are an even worse measure of player potential. If Blair Angulo was so goddamned good at evaluating potential talent, I promise you that he'd be making a high 6 or 7 figure salary at the university of his choosing. Google "Blake Carringer" or "Unique Brissett II"...it's comical.

Bingo ... well said

In the end the ultimate judge of how well programs recruit comes on the field

All the recruiting rankings do is blow smoke up people’s asses
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    Standard Supporter
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Bingo ... well said

If we’re bashing blowing smoke up peoples asses then I’m out of here.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 774
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Tequilla said:

Bingo ... well said

If we’re bashing blowing smoke up peoples asses then I’m out of here.
    I know I came for the smoke.
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited June 2021

...Other schools like UW, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal do a lot a research before they make an offer; hence, it's a meaningful offer.

This Oregon?

Chip Kelly hardly offered anyone like it was some kind of honor. Mario is more aggressive. You can be selective and still recruit in the 30’s. The raw talent at Oregon is better as a result of Mario’s strategy.

Echoing what Nabou’s dad is saying, OL talent evaluation is one of the harder spots for recruiting services to get right. I look at who evaluates the spot well and is actively pursuing kids. I like what Smith is doing at Oregon State. Colorado develops there too.

I love NW kids staying put. Good luck to the kid (even as a Duck fan).
  • Options
    lawsandllawsandl Member Posts: 1,555
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

lawsandl said:

...Other schools like UW, UCLA, Oregon, and Cal do a lot a research before they make an offer; hence, it's a meaningful offer.

This Oregon?

Chip Kelly hardly offered anyone like it was some kind of honor. Mario is more aggressive. You can be selective and still recruit in the 30’s. The raw talent at Oregon is better as a result of Mario’s strategy.

Echoing what Nabou’s dad is saying, OL talent evaluation is one of the harder spots for recruiting services to get right. I look at who evaluates the spot well and is actively pursuing kids. I like what Smith is doing at Oregon State. Colorado develops there too.

I love NW kids staying put. Good luck to the kid (even as a Duck fan).
    Wrong dad, dipshit.
    Ok. I thought it was Nabou and it’s Brailsford. The point stands though, right?