Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Do you ever wonder if Chip regrets leaving Oregon?

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Probably not, for a while there he was getting 3 paycheck from three different teams. Hell I think the Niner's may still be paying him.

Comments

• Options
    NorthwestFreshNorthwestFresh Member Posts: 7,972
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Chip got paid and his offense, while unique early, isn’t anything special schematically now. He also didn’t like to recruit so regardless of how he feels about it, I’m grateful for how he elevated the program but we’re seeing now what real recruiters can do with the facilities. The Helfrich experience, however, was simply awful and it’s not like Chip Left a program in shambles like Old Slingblade.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Chip got paid and his offense, while unique early, isn’t anything special schematically now. He also didn’t like to recruit so regardless of how he feels about it, I’m grateful for how he elevated the program but we’re seeing now what real recruiters can do with the facilities. The Helfrich experience, however, was simply awful and it’s not like Chip Left a program in shambles like Old Slingblade.

This. I just don't see him taking UCLA to great heights; but I've been wrong before.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

This. I just don't see him taking UCLA to great heights; but I've been wrong before.
    Despite being innovative with his conditioning and practicing regimens Chip always struck me as an old school guy in terms of his interpersonal relationships. He obviously didn't enjoy the glad handing and socializing with the boosters aspect of the job. I don't get the impression that he enjoys the social media aspect of today's recruiting process.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

Despite being innovative with his conditioning and practicing regimens Chip always struck me as an old school guy in terms of his interpersonal relationships. He obviously didn't enjoy the glad handing and socializing with the boosters aspect of the job. I don't get the impression that he enjoys the social media aspect of today's recruiting process.
    I’ve never met Chip, but he puts off a socially-awkward/Asperger’s vibe similar to Jim Harbaugh. Smartest guy in the room but also becomes extremely uncomfortable to be around after 3-4 years. Mike Leach is also an example?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

I’ve never met Chip, but he puts off a socially-awkward/Asperger’s vibe similar to Jim Harbaugh. Smartest guy in the room but also becomes extremely uncomfortable to be around after 3-4 years. Mike Leach is also an example?
    I've never met him either but I've always liked his sense of humor but to me he comes off as a guy who doesn't like small talk and who doesn't suffer fools very gladly.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,206
    Swaye's Wigwam

SFGbob said:

Mike Leach is so on the spectrum though that he's hilarious to be around. I think it's pretty obvious that generally his players liked him a lot more than Chip's ever did. He might be an autistic coach but he's their autistic coach.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Chip is more personable than people think. True story:

Some college students were in line playing catch while waiting to get student football tickets when Chip Kelly walked by, he was the OC then. Apparently, Chip noticed their spirals were off, so he came up to them to help. He said, "The secret to throwing a spiral is to flick your wrist like you have a booger on your pinkie."
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,182
    Nobody ever regrets leaving Oregon
  • Options
    HuskyJW said:

Nobody ever regrets leaving Oregon

I certainly won’t.