Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hundreds of protesters, some carrying guns, Storm Michigan State Capitol

124»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

I've never understood the urge to show up with weapons. Show up with your dick in your hands instead; less likely to have an unfortunate accident.

If you show up to legally protest, and the governor decides to illegally have the State Patrol remove you, will the State Patrolmen be armed? Will they be constrained or will they go Kent State on you? Yes, one choice is to sue and have your day in court but there is another choice. It’s a hard choice, and definitely a life changer, but the second amendment is there to protect individuals from government overreach.
    And, yes, sue to sort out who illegally did what to whom. It's worked before. If by "hard choice", you mean actually using force? Uh, yeah, again, use the courts instead of shooting people. No brainer.

If by "hard choice" you mean showing up with a gun? My POS neighbor who's afraid to even say hello to me could do that. There's nothing hard about it at all.
    Let me spell it out. I’m talking purely about self defense and not instigating the violence. That said, I don’t differentiate between cop or not, if someone is putting me and mine in immediate deadly peril. If I have the means then I will defend. I have no illusions about not being arrested and prosecuted afterwards. So, knowing this about myself I don’t attend rallies, or protests, or any quasi-Antifa bullshit that increases my chances of having to do something I’d rather not. But, I’m employed, have a pretty good life, and am a handful of years away from an early retirement; I have a lot to lose. A lot of people just got fucked by Inslee and have lost those constraints. That’s all I’m saying.
    I understand all that and share your view about where I choose to spend my free time, and why. And I come back this: showing up to government buildings packing serious weaponry and dressed like you're going to behead somebody in the name of Allah is stupid, boorish, unnecessary and insincere. If your point in being there is to play Leonidas responding to the Persian order to drop their weapons, then yeah, that's the point of the rally. I get that. Otherwise, it's fantasy play for undereducated, underemployed, ineffectual men who have problems with their self-image and their cocks. My feet are taped to the pedals on that view.

Beyond that basic point, a related point of view is that we have a loooooooooooooong way to go before circumstances are such that comparisons to the Continental Army are at all even rational. I know ex-cops like Sleddy like to kick back and talk tuff. And who knows, maybe he's really itching to shoot someone for old time's sake. There are those people. But my philosophy is to treat your firearms like you treat your dick: with respect, and don't pull it out unless you are going to use it.
    How’s that expression go: every society is three meals away from anarchy? Take a look at Venezuela, they were one of the richest nations in the Western Hemisphere until 10-15 years ago. Hell, you’re Cuban, you should recognize power hunger when you see it. Inslee is now playing politics with what was once a legitimate crisis, and it’s hurting people (not me). You won’t change my mind on that.

tldr: It’s too early for me to dress up like a Duck Dynasty and storm Olympia, but that’s me.
    I hear ya man. I do. But this is the US and we are far better off than those two places ever were in more ways than even @UW_Doog_Bot could enumerate. We have more buffer. Also, there are far too many powerful constituents with massive invested interests in the standard of living and ROI that our market economy provides. This will get corrected from the inside out.

A bunch of unemployed hill billies grabbing their rifles and pretending to do what they don't have the balls to do (precisely because, unlike Cuba and Venezuela, even those guys have something to lose if only by virtue of the fact that they live here).

Let's all calm down and not watch so many Netflix dystopian movies. It's not a Sleddy fantasy of people taking up arms against the government. Like it or not, we are all spoiled and soft af and two minutes into that fantasy of government overthrow would expose a couple hundred THOUSAND things you and I have thought of as not being there anymore. Revolution is ugly. Ask the Russians. Rebuilding is hard. Ask the Russians.

Let's be more thoughtful about this. It'll get worked out because of the pressures that @WestlinnDuck mentioned:property owners not getting their rents and related mortgage defaults, state unemployment funds running dry, people not paying their property taxes, government budgets drying up, the break down of our food supply chain, which is under pressure right now, colleges and universities closing their doors and laying off everyone, etc. etc.

THOSE are the things that will get everyone to start keepin' it real about getting things going again. Some asshole in Michigan screaming at a state patrol officer within an inch of his face does absolutely nothing but make that guy appear ineffectual and stupid.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I hear ya man. I do. But this is the US and we are far better off than those two places ever were in more ways than even @UW_Doog_Bot could enumerate. We have more buffer. Also, there are far too many powerful constituents with massive invested interests in the standard of living and ROI that our market economy provides. This will get corrected from the inside out.

A bunch of unemployed hill billies grabbing their rifles and pretending to do what they don't have the balls to do (precisely because, unlike Cuba and Venezuela, even those guys have something to lose if only by virtue of the fact that they live here).

Let's all calm down and not watch so many Netflix dystopian movies. It's not a Sleddy fantasy of people taking up arms against the government. Like it or not, we are all spoiled and soft af and two minutes into that fantasy of government overthrow would expose a couple hundred THOUSAND things you and I have not thought of and we'd both be like, "Oh shit, ya; didnt' think of that." Revolution is ugly. Ask the Russians. Rebuilding is hard. Ask the Russians.

Let's be more thoughtful about this. It'll get worked out because of the pressures that @WestlinnDuck mentioned:property owners not getting their rents and related mortgage defaults, state unemployment funds running dry, people not paying their property taxes, government budgets drying up, the break down of our food supply chain, which is under pressure right now, colleges and universities closing their doors and laying off everyone, etc. etc.

THOSE are the things that will get everyone to start keepin' it real about getting things going again. Some asshole in Michigan screaming at a state patrol officer within an inch of his face does absolutely nothing but make that guy appear ineffectual and stupid.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,309
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I agree with the general premise that you don't show up with arms to a protest unless that protest is about 2a rights (as society stands now being the key differentiation).

That said, I'd like to see open carry look a lot more like Texas than California, where if I open carry an unloaded weapon the cops might shoot me on principle(and I'm fucking white as white let's not open the can of worms about minorities owning weapons).

I also have lived enough other places overseas to see how quickly your rights can erode(HK anyone?) and if it wasn't for the fact that local officials are *reluctantly* keeping the peace for Newsom things might look a lot different. If the HBPD was out there right now looking to crack heads like I'm sure LAPD would be an open carry group of protesters would be a decent deterrent to our friends in Blue feeling too frisky.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,948
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

I've never understood the urge to show up with weapons. Show up with your dick in your hands instead; less likely to have an unfortunate accident.

If you show up to legally protest, and the governor decides to illegally have the State Patrol remove you, will the State Patrolmen be armed? Will they be constrained or will they go Kent State on you? Yes, one choice is to sue and have your day in court but there is another choice. It’s a hard choice, and definitely a life changer, but the second amendment is there to protect individuals from government overreach.
    And, yes, sue to sort out who illegally did what to whom. It's worked before. If by "hard choice", you mean actually using force? Uh, yeah, again, use the courts instead of shooting people. No brainer.

If by "hard choice" you mean showing up with a gun? My POS neighbor who's afraid to even say hello to me could do that. There's nothing hard about it at all.
    Let me spell it out. I’m talking purely about self defense and not instigating the violence. That said, I don’t differentiate between cop or not, if someone is putting me and mine in immediate deadly peril. If I have the means then I will defend. I have no illusions about not being arrested and prosecuted afterwards. So, knowing this about myself I don’t attend rallies, or protests, or any quasi-Antifa bullshit that increases my chances of having to do something I’d rather not. But, I’m employed, have a pretty good life, and am a handful of years away from an early retirement; I have a lot to lose. A lot of people just got fucked by Inslee and have lost those constraints. That’s all I’m saying.
    I understand all that and share your view about where I choose to spend my free time, and why. And I come back this: showing up to government buildings packing serious weaponry and dressed like you're going to behead somebody in the name of Allah is stupid, boorish, unnecessary and insincere. If your point in being there is to play Leonidas responding to the Persian order to drop their weapons, then yeah, that's the point of the rally. I get that. Otherwise, it's fantasy play for undereducated, underemployed, ineffectual men who have problems with their self-image and their cocks. My feet are taped to the pedals on that view.

Beyond that basic point, a related point of view is that we have a loooooooooooooong way to go before circumstances are such that comparisons to the Continental Army are at all even rational. I know ex-cops like Sleddy like to kick back and talk tuff. And who knows, maybe he's really itching to shoot someone for old time's sake. There are those people. But my philosophy is to treat your firearms like you treat your dick: with respect, and don't pull it out unless you are going to use it.
    Even better new bored motto
  • Options
    BearsWiin said:

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

Even better new bored motto
    BearsWiin shamelessly trolling for chins.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,029
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I agree with the general premise that you don't show up with arms to a protest unless that protest is about 2a rights (as society stands now being the key differentiation).

That said, I'd like to see open carry look a lot more like Texas than California, where if I open carry an unloaded weapon the cops might shoot me on principle(and I'm fucking white as white let's not open the can of worms about minorities owning weapons).

I also have lived enough other places overseas to see how quickly your rights can erode(HK anyone?) and if it wasn't for the fact that local officials are *reluctantly* keeping the peace for Newsom things might look a lot different. If the HBPD was out there right now looking to crack heads like I'm sure LAPD would be an open carry group of protesters would be a decent deterrent to our friends in Blue feeling too frisky.

Most of the boys in blue agree with the protestors. That's changing. That's troubling.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

I'm with @creepycoug on this one. Leave the guns at home, or in the car. It's bad manners.

Booooo...too boring
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

Agreed. Showing up all camo'd and open carrying detracts from the message completely and makes everyone that shows up to protest look like a Ruby Ridge loon. But as this shutdown pushes on, I think a lot more
    sane people will start to look at getting a Concealed carry permit.

I'll be attending Oregon's tomorrow but certainly won't be packing or dressed for the duck blind. And to the delight of the masses, I won't be wearing my American flag tank top as it will be cold and rainy.
    That I agree with entirely. Thinking about heading down to Olympia and hitting up the armory, aka my father-in-law's gun case, for a little iron. I can see this getting nasty if it goes on for too long. I was at Target the other day and, I shit you not, a guy was running out of the store, almost ran my fucking ass over, being chased by store clerks, stealing from what I could tell basic shit like shampoo and other shit you get from that part of the store.

People are also pretty amped up right now in general. I was turning off 520 onto Montlake the other day taking the wife for a drive. I inched up and, as we've all done, wound up stuck waiting for traffic and partially blocking the cross-walk. My bad. So everyone else just went slightly around me and didn't seem to care, but this dude on a bike got worked the fuck up. So I mouthed "fuck off" back to him, and off I went; but as anyone who's driven on Montlake heading north knows, you are NOT GOING TO MAKE THE LIGHT at the intersection of Montlake and Pacific. Of course, this millenial POS pulls up right next to my window and goes off. I listened again and told him to fuck off, this time out loud with the window down. He then followed me and, against all my rational instincts, I slowed down to let him. Just approaching U Village, I slammed on my brakes and made him hit a curb and slightly crash his bike. Or whatever - he was on the ground. Now he's out of his mind, and calls my wife a name. Again, against all my rational instincts, I got out of the car and did my best pissed off crazy Cuban routine and he and I are making a fucking scene the likes of which I've not been involved for at least 20 years. But I was fucking pissed and so was he. For whatever reason, he kept yapping but walked back and motioned to pick up his bike, which was close enough to a surrender for me (fighting after age 30 is a lose/lose). I felt tuff af though. I could'a taken him. I'm sure.

True story.
    The homeless bicyclists are the worst around here. On the way home from work last week, one of them was weaving in and out of traffic basically trying to get hit. After I had to evade him the 2nd time, I almost said fuck it and popped him the 3rd time. It's amazing the shit that you can weigh in the balance in microseconds. I haven't had an insurance claim for like 10 years, and if I could get a witness to stop, I'd probably be not at fault anyway. But the real factor that tipped the scales into not popping him was I simply wanted to get home and not wait for the cops and then probably get pissed off and go agro on the guy eventually.

I wasn't gonna run him over as He was a good rider and wasn't going to let that happen. He was just trying to get nudged to get some pain killers or what not and I was Oh so close to obliging.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,946
    edited May 2020
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

Agreed. Showing up all camo'd and open carrying detracts from the message completely and makes everyone that shows up to protest look like a Ruby Ridge loon. But as this shutdown pushes on, I think a lot more

I'll be attending Oregon's tomorrow but certainly won't be packing or dressed for the duck blind. And to the delight of the masses, I won't be wearing my American flag tank top as it will be cold and rainy.
    That I agree with entirely. Thinking about heading down to Olympia and hitting up the armory, aka my father-in-law's gun case, for a little iron. I can see this getting nasty if it goes on for too long. I was at Target the other day and, I shit you not, a guy was running out of the store, almost ran my fucking ass over, being chased by store clerks, stealing from what I could tell basic shit like shampoo and other shit you get from that part of the store.

People are also pretty amped up right now in general. I was turning off 520 onto Montlake the other day taking the wife for a drive. I inched up and, as we've all done, wound up stuck waiting for traffic and partially blocking the cross-walk. My bad. So everyone else just went slightly around me and didn't seem to care, but this dude on a bike got worked the fuck up. So I mouthed "fuck off" back to him, and off I went; but as anyone who's driven on Montlake heading north knows, you are NOT GOING TO MAKE THE LIGHT at the intersection of Montlake and Pacific. Of course, this millenial POS pulls up right next to my window and goes off. I listened again and told him to fuck off, this time out loud with the window down. He then followed me and, against all my rational instincts, I slowed down to let him. Just approaching U Village, I slammed on my brakes and made him hit a curb and slightly crash his bike. Or whatever - he was on the ground. Now he's out of his mind, and calls my wife a name. Again, against all my rational instincts, I got out of the car and did my best pissed off crazy Cuban routine and he and I are making a fucking scene the likes of which I've not been involved for at least 20 years. But I was fucking pissed and so was he. For whatever reason, he kept yapping but walked back and motioned to pick up his bike, which was close enough to a surrender for me (fighting after age 30 is a lose/lose). I felt tuff af though. I could'a taken him. I'm sure.

True story.
    The homeless bicyclists are the worst around here. On the way home from work last week, one of them was weaving in and out of traffic basically trying to get hit. After I had to evade him the 2nd time, I almost said fuck it and popped him the 3rd time. It's amazing the shit that you can weigh in the balance in microseconds. I haven't had an insurance claim for like 10 years, and if I could get a witness to stop, I'd probably be not at fault anyway. But the real factor that tipped the scales into not popping him was I simply wanted to get home and not wait for the cops and then probably get pissed off and go agro on the guy eventually.

I wasn't gonna run him over as He was a good rider and wasn't going to let that happen. He was just trying to get nudged to get some pain killers or what not and I was Oh so close to obliging.
    Should have run him over.

Kate Brown needs all the COVID deaths she can get.

• Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,029
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

True story.

Nudging bicyclists was a sport in my industry. Pedestrians too sometimes. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

salemcoog said:

USMChawk said:

USMChawk said:

True story.
    So true. But sometimes you just gotta go.
    My wife is traumatized by what I've done in similar circumstances. I am trying real hard to let that shit go now. Lots of freaks out there carrying illegally.