Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Favorite One That Got Away

ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
If you could have any local recruit choose UW instead of leaving, who would it be?

Favorite One That Got Away 28 votes

Stewart twins (USC and Kansas)
3%
rustysavage 1 vote
Marvin Williams (UNC)
39%
HouhuskyThomasFremontGladstonedncDooglesMakaDawgBayDawgMiley_CyrusNEsnake12backthepackRDR 11 votes
Peyton Siva (Louisville)
14%
RoadDawg55UWhuskytskeetPawgDawgmontlakemamba 4 votes
Marcus Williams (Arizona)
7%
huskyhooligandannarc 2 votes
Zach LaVine (UCLA)
7%
jhfstyle24OneNipple 2 votes
Gary Bell Jr (Zaggots)
0%
Terrence Williams (Louisville)
3%
DawgsAllDay36 1 vote
Martell Webster (NBA draft)
10%
biak1NeGgaPlEaSeEl_K 3 votes
Shaqquan Aaron (Louisville/USC)
0%
Aaron Brooks (Oregon)
14%
DerekJohnsontheknowledgeKrunkJuicePandaOrangeChiknDuck 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Aaron Brooks (Oregon)
    2005 BRoy senior year with Brooks as a sophomore would have gone to the final four.
    2004 #1 seed UW makes the final four with Luke Ridnour at PG instead of Conroy. Will was good, Ridnour was a really good college guard.

On second thought Williams is the best choice. He would have been a big help to that 2004 UW team.
  • Options
    Marvin Williams (UNC)
    It boils down to which player helps which team most for me. Brooks and Webster would have helped BRoy in 06, but I think Williams does more for the 05 team.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Marvin Williams (UNC)

2005 BRoy senior year with Brooks as a sophomore would have gone to the final four.
    2004 #1 seed UW makes the final four with Luke Ridnour at PG instead of Conroy. Will was good, Ridnour was a really good college guard.

On second thought Williams is the best choice. He would have been a big help to that 2004 UW team.

Ridnour was drafted in 03. UW didn’t make the tourney (UAB) til 04. The one seed was 05. Senior B Roy was 06.

I don’t remember Brooks being any good until his senior year (when he was awesome).
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Aaron Brooks (Oregon)
    dnc said:

Ridnour was drafted in 03. UW didn’t make the tourney (UAB) til 04. The one seed was 05. Senior B Roy was 06.

I don’t remember Brooks being any good until his senior year (when he was awesome).
    My memory is like Swiss cheese. I can't be expected to check the interwebs on everything that comes out of my brain. I rely on the villainy and scum of this site to make sure my knowledge is corrected when need be. Like spelling that German guys name for me on another thread. I remember Brooks being pretty good his sophomore and senior years. He was suspended a chunk of time for punching Appleby his junior year. That might be wrong, I'm not looking it up. I really cant remember. Don't twist.

TYFYS.
  • Options
    Marvin Williams (UNC)
    Brooks or Webster would have been big upgrades over true freshman JD. A case could be made for that being the bigger improvement in the lineup.
  • Options
    Marvin Williams (UNC)

Brooks or Webster would have been big upgrades over true freshman JD. A case could be made for that being the bigger improvement in the lineup.

Soph Brooks was better than I remember. You guys may be right.
  • Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,062
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Marvin in 05, and Marcus in 06. Martel in 06 as well would have been difference makers. Hell Marcus in 07 probably would have been a difference maker as well, with Hawes, and Brockman.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I wanna add that Marvin was all Roy Williams, was set to go to Kansas, then followed Roy to UNC.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Also going way back to the early 90's but I remember hearing Steve Nash wanted to go to UW. Also Michael Dickerson with Donald Watts would have been interesting.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    Martell Webster (NBA draft)
    Jason Terry?
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,926
    Founders Club
    Aaron Brooks (Oregon)

Quinn Snyder

Mark Pope
  • Options
    Marvin Williams (UNC)

Jason Terry?

Very good call
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Quinn Snyder

Mark Pope
    Utah Valley University head coach. My brother has a state tournament program from like 91. The amount of dudes that were leaving the state was astounding. The times did a piece on it in the mid 90's. At the state tournament that year were Michael Dickerson (Arizona), Donny Marshall (UConn), Mark Pope (UW / Kentucky), and I think another dude or two. When you also take into account that a two time NBA MVP was 72 miles away and his tape was thoroughly ignored by UW coaches (and others). I think I remember Steve Nash saying he wanted to go to UW because it was the closest US college. Late 80's and 90's guys like Doug Christie, Peter Dukes, Bill Elleby, all went elsewhere. You missed out on keeping guys like Brian Scalabrine, and unfortunately Quincy Wilder (Decatur) couldn't keep himself out of trouble. One has to wonder if O'mma Givens (Aberdeen 94) maybe has a better career at UW instead of getting lost in the shuffle at UCLA, then Pepperdine. Curtis Bortchardt (Eastlake / Stanford). Mark Bigelow (Olympia / BYU). 2000s guys, Rodney Stuckey sticks out the most not already listed. That 95 class of JT and Donald Watts. Fred Brown Jr. was the other big name. JT was committed then flipped to UA. Three years later Doug Wrenn basically purposely failed his classes to get out of his commitment to UW. Losing Jamal Crawford, even though in hindsight was probably the best, but he seems to be steering locals to UW, or at least putting in a very good word. Helps that Conroy is on the staff.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781

Quinn Snyder

Mark Pope
    Utah Valley University head coach. My brother has a state tournament program from like 91. The amount of dudes that were leaving the state was astounding. The times did a piece on it in the mid 90's. At the state tournament that year were Michael Dickerson (Arizona), Donny Marshall (UConn), Mark Pope (UW / Kentucky), and I think another dude or two. When you also take into account that a two time NBA MVP was 72 miles away and his tape was thoroughly ignored by UW coaches (and others). I think I remember Steve Nash saying he wanted to go to UW because it was the closest US college. Late 80's and 90's guys like Doug Christie, Peter Dukes, Bill Elleby, all went elsewhere. You missed out on keeping guys like Brian Scalabrine, and unfortunately Quincy Wilder (Decatur) couldn't keep himself out of trouble. One has to wonder if O'mma Givens (Aberdeen 94) maybe has a better career at UW instead of getting lost in the shuffle at UCLA, then Pepperdine. Curtis Bortchardt (Eastlake / Stanford). Mark Bigelow (Olympia / BYU). 2000s guys, Rodney Stuckey sticks out the most not already listed. That 95 class of JT and Donald Watts. Fred Brown Jr. was the other big name. JT was committed then flipped to UA. Three years later Doug Wrenn basically purposely failed his classes to get out of his commitment to UW. Losing Jamal Crawford, even though in hindsight was probably the best, but he seems to be steering locals to UW, or at least putting in a very good word. Helps that Conroy is on the staff.
    He's the BYU coach now.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Quinn Snyder

Mark Pope
    He's the BYU coach now.

Oh yeah. Good coach. I don't know if he'd ever consider moving back up here. I assume his folks are still in the area but you can get a lot more home in Provo.
  • Options
    Marvin Williams (UNC)

Rodney Stuckey is often forgotten, but is right at the top of the best high school players there has ever been in Washington. He was dominant.

Didn’t Stuckey go to Eastern?