Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Grim news update

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
https://foxbusiness.com/economy/us-unemployed-workers-millions-more-may-be-impacted

Last week was another bloodbath for the U.S. labor market: New figures released Thursday by the Labor Department revealed that another 5.25 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits in the week ending April 14.

That brings total claims over the four weeks ended April 11 to nearly 22 million workers, erasing the entirety of labor market gains since the 2008 financial crisis, a stunning sign of the colossal economic damage inflicted by the virus outbreak. Before the pandemic, the largest number of Americans to seek jobless aid in a four-week stretch was 2.7 million in the fall of 1982.

With a labor force that totals about 162 million people, that means the unemployment rate is close to 13 percent, meaning that about 1 in 7 Americans has lost their job.

It was 1 in 10 last week. Sounds like we need to flatten the curve before its gets worse and overwhelms our soup kitchens and missions

Comments

• Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Either Inslee opens this state back up.... or he gets ejected into Canada. His choice, but Washington is done with this shit. Especially when we are closing counties that haven't had a single death or even double digits in confirmed cases. Same goes with the country, it is time to open it up, especially where it makes 100% sense. (with caution of course, you idiots) We can't sustain this unemployment level.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Postal91 said:

Either Inslee opens this state back up.... or he gets ejected into Canada. His choice, but Washington is done with this shit. Especially when we are closing counties that haven't had a single death or even double digits in confirmed cases. Same goes with the country, it is time to open it up, especially where it makes 100% sense. (with caution of course, you idiots) We can't sustain this unemployment level.

I want this too, but I see no pressure from Inslee's political base to open anything.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Postal91 said:

I want this too, but I see no pressure from Inslee's political base to open anything.
    Huh?
    https://www.heraldnet.com/business/boeing-to-resume-washington-airplane-production-next-week/
  • Options
    MelloDawgMelloDawg Member Posts: 6,149
    Postal91 said:

Eastern Washington is done with it, but that which is traditionally “western Washington” is willing to continue. Boeing going back helps which is why I imagine you’ll see some movement from Inslee on 5/4.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    Founders Club
    Postal91 said:

Washington is not done with this at all, at least the Seattle area.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,029
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam

Hot off the presses. These counties have around 30 million people.

LA looks like a lot in comparison to the outlands but nothing compared to New York.

One size doesn't fit all.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Postal91 said:

Washington is not done with this at all, at least the Seattle area.
    The Seattle area and King County can lick my ass. Part of me wants Inslee to light the powder keg. I'm sure the people in the 11 counties with 11 or less confirmed cases feel this guy is on it. 8 counties in Washington have over double digit deaths.

Fk Washington, fk Inslee.