Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Missing baseball during coronavirus shutdown? Here are 10 books to fill the void

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,774
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Baseball and golf have great literature. Often better than the games
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,327
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,034
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    also would recommend 'the bad guys won,' good story about assholes and degenerates winning and doing things the RIGHT way.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,647
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I watched the Ken Burns baseball documentary series. Solid as usual. My GF took a surprising interest too. She chose to argue with me about Ty Cobb, who was the biggest prick in the history of the game and possibly the galaxy. She felt he was misunderstood.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    You know we’ve been inside too long when our girlfriends start white knighting for Ty Cobb.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

You know we’ve been inside too long when our girlfriends start white knighting for Ty Cobb.

We've hardly been inside at all, but your comment still checks out.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,297
    Founders Club

Al Stump wrote a fantastic book about Cobb. Cobb was a complicated figure.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

For sure. But then again he went into the stands and stomped out a disabled guy for some comment about Cobb being black or like a black or half black or something along those lines. Then he justified it saying nobody should have to put up with that even from a guy with no hands. Or maybe he had no feet. One of those.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

For sure. But then again he went into the stands and stomped out a disabled guy for some comment about Cobb being black or like a black or half black or something along those lines. Then he justified it saying nobody should have to put up with that even from a guy with no hands. Or maybe he had no feet. One of those.
    but then again he did some incredibly charitable things for needy people that went unreported. he was mentally ill in his later years and alienated everyone

at his funeral only two people from the world of baseball attended
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

but then again he did some incredibly charitable things for needy people that went unreported. he was mentally ill in his later years and alienated everyone

Dang Derek you should talk to my GF. The two of you surprisingly have something in common. Maybe you could organize an annual Ty Cobb apologist get together.

I believe you that there's more to him than I or most others know. My take is that he was mentally ill from the start. Nobody is that intense without some sort of disorder.
  • Options
    Ty Cobb was a pill popping racist that sharpened his spikes to hurt the other team while sliding.

Very misunderstood.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Dang Derek you should talk to my GF. The two of you surprisingly have something in common. Maybe you could organize an annual Ty Cobb apologist get together.

I believe you that there's more to him than I or most others know. My take is that he was mentally ill from the start. Nobody is that intense without some sort of disorder.
    His father climbed in through a window as he suspected his wife of cheating on him. His wife mistook him for a burglar and shot him to death. Ty was 17 at the time. Al Stump speculated that this was what mentally broke Ty. (Cobb, not Willingham)
  • Options
    Founders Club

Ty Cobb was a pill popping racist that sharpened his spikes to hurt the other team while sliding.

Very misunderstood.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Very misunderstood.

And I said complicated, not misunderstood.
  • Options

Very misunderstood.

I sharpened by spikes when I played baseball too. So I think I know what I’m talking about.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,970

Very misunderstood.

I sharpened by spikes when I played baseball too. So I think I know what I’m talking about.
    Going from plastic spikes to metal spikes in 5th grade was the highlight of my baseball career.

I did come in high on a slide one time and the bloody mess of the opposing 3rd baseman's shin was something of which I still quite proud.

• Options

Very misunderstood.

Going from plastic spikes to metal spikes in 5th grade was the highlight of my baseball career.

I did come in high on a slide one time and the bloody mess of the opposing 3rd baseman's shin was something of which I still quite proud.

I approve this message
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Very misunderstood.

I never spike the kids.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,751
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

chuck said:

Syphilis will do that to a man.
  • Options
    If Little League Confidential isn’t on that list, it should be.