Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Best defense in a generation

BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
Yeah. I said it.

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm not ready to go all in yet but I think it should be. I'll have to see the linebackers, including the outside guys, play like they've made a big jump. We still havent adequately replaced the Sark holdovers at the outside spots. We've had a few good games out of Tryon and Bowman and not much else.

I think the players are there. I love Tryon and Latu but both have to make a leap. We havent seen Hammer or Calvert yet but most of us are counting on them stepping up.

The secondary will be nails, probably the best one we've had in this period.
  • QuietcowskeeQuietcowskee Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,291 Swaye's Wigwam
    Pete’s not the coach any more

*substitute Tuli for Bronson and Latu for Bowman*
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    The defense should be as good as they were in 2016-2018. There are a couple question marks at safety and ILB, but I think we have brought in talent and should be pretty good.

If Tryon gets any better than he was in the second half of last year, he’s one of the better players in the country. Bowman is solid and better than he gets credit for on the board. If Latu’s weight loss helps and he takes a jump, the pass rush will be better than any of the previous teams.

Guys graduate and leave early so there will always be question marks, but we should have the best defense in the conference. There are a lot of highly touted young guys both on the DL and at LB and some of them will rise to the occasion.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,925 Swaye's Wigwam

2016 Peach Bowl had: Vea, Gaines, Qualls, O'Brien, Beavers, Bierria, Wooching, Rapp, Baker, Jones, and King.

2020 should be somewhere around: Onwuzurike, Bronson, Tryon, Bowman, Ulofoshio, ???, Molden, McDuffie, Taylor, Turner, Williams?

I give the edge to 2016

2016 had three excellent DL and a great secondary. There was little depth though and the LB were nothing special to not particularly good. Without anyone to replace Mathis the pass rush and strength on the edge didn't exist. 2019 has excellent DL and secondary, both with way more depth, two pretty good guys on the edge plus some good prospects on the edge, a bunch of 2nd and 3rd year guys at ILB who should at least be good by committee.

2016 is the standard to measure against right now but the whole team was paper thin The strength was up front and in the back. This roster is less accomplished but just as talented and deeper at both position groups. It comes down to the pass rush and inside linebackers, and there's more talent and depth there too. I give the edge to 2020/21.
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Give 2016 Mathis (especially) and Azeem in the Peach Bowel and we give Bama a game even without an offense.

That defense at full strength was unreal. Not enough depth though.

This defense might not be quite as great top end but should be much more injury proof.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110

dnc said:

Give 2016 Mathis (especially) and Azeem in the Peach Bowel and we give Bama a game even without an offense.

This defense might not be quite as great top end but should be much more injury proof.

The Ross fumble killed our momentum, we had Bama on the ropes. Then Brownsocks threw the pick 6 to seal our fate.
    2 plays that made us shit our pants and vastly changed the rudder that both involved Ross
    1- the fly sweep to Ross against USC where we lost like 10 yards (we were moving the ball like a knife through butter before that play)
    2- The Ross fumble (we were nearly perfect, other than the Budda dropped INT before that play)
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

dnc said:

The Ross fumble killed our momentum, we had Bama on the ropes. Then Brownsocks threw the pick 6 to seal our fate.
    2 plays that made us shit our pants and vastly changed the rudder that both involved Ross
    1- the fly sweep to Ross against USC where we lost like 10 yards (we were moving the ball like a knife through butter before that play)
    2- The Ross fumble (we were nearly perfect, other than the Budda dropped INT before that play)
    The Ross play vs USC was on Ross. He slowed up so blocks could be set up and got caught from behind. Nobody could have caught him if he went full speed.