Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hardcore Huskypedia: University of Oregon

Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
By AZ_Duck

We're a smallish school in the Pacific Northwest.

Like Texas, our main rival is the state school up north (Washington) we don't really hate our instate aggy (Oregon State).

We like to joke that football was invented in 1994, because of this:

http://youtu.be/XqlcRAZfRHc

In reality, we had a longtime coach (Rich Brooks) that we tolerated through a lot of losing seasons because Oregon didn't really support football back then. The stadium only seated 41,000. The coaches' offices were in the basement of the gym, which was built in 1920. Facilities were, how you say, garbage.

That play galvanized the 1994 team, which went on to win the Pac-10 and go to the first Rose Bowl since 1958. Rich Brooks promptly got the $#@! out of town and took an NFL job. His offensive coordinator was a guy with a mustache made for 1980's pr0n named Mike Bellotti.

Bellotti was and is a really smart guy, and a pretty damn good coach. He kept the momentum from the 1994 season going in 1995, matching the 9-win total from the previous season, and beating the hated Huskies in Seattle for the second time in a row. There was some rebuilding in the late 90's, but the team progressed: 6-5 in 1996, 7-4 in 1997, 8-3 in 1998, 9-3 in 1999.

Another thing that happened was that we got our asses beat by Rick Neuheisel in the 1996 Cotton Bowl. This was in many ways more significant than the Rose Bowl appearance. After the game, a group of BMD's (as you call them) met with Bellotti and Bill Moos (the AD at the time) and asked what Oregon needed to do in order to sustain success in the Pac-10. Bellotti answered with a wish-list of facility improvements.

This was the first time that Phil Knight, uber-BMD, got involved with the athletic program. After the 1996 season we got an indoor practice facility, and the new outdoor fields and first fancy-schmancy locker room (to be replaced with the new fancy-schmancy locker room we have now) were installed. The stadium now holds around 60K, SRO. Its been sold out in excess of listed capacity (54,000) since 2002.

The program started having serious success. We beat a pretty good Texas team in the Holiday Bowl. We beat CU in the Fiesta Bowl in 2001-02 and finished #2 in the nation. Mike Bellotti called the BCS "a cancer."

Then we kinda went into the doldrums.

The team was still pretty good, and we were competitive in the league. But Bellotti was a CEO-type, and he gave a lot of leeway to his assistants, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He was interested in new ideas, and wasn't afraid to take chances. That's how he hired Rich Stubler from the CFL to run Oregon's defense for a year. That's how we had the worst defense in the country for a year.

In fairness to Mike, it is also how he developed an interest in the spread offenses that were beginning to pop up here and there around college FB. One of his first spread OCs was a guy named Gary Crowton. Crowton was a poor fit at Oregon and didn't last long. When he left, it was mutual, and there weren't really any bad feelings. Crowton suggested to Mike that if he was really interested in the spread, then the guy he needed to talk to was the OC at New Hampshire named Chip Kelly, who was the guru of the spread.

At the time Oregon had a kid named Dennis Dixon who was pretty highly touted but had never been consistent. One of Bellotti's shortcomings (in my view) was his willingness to use a 2-QB system when neither really won the job. That's how we ended up with A.J. Feeley and Kellen Clemens, and some other instances where we platooned our QBs. Dixon started out platooning.

Chip Kelly came to Eugene and made Dixon the guy. He got the most out of his not-inconsiderable talent. Behind Dixon and a talented roster, Oregon ran Kelly's spread in 2007 and made a lot of noise. Then a late hit against ASU damaged Dixon's knee. Nobody really knew how badly until the next game against Arizona.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/PzpOEdUdoM4

Have I mentioned that I $#@!ing hate Arizona?

Ryan Leaf's brother got hurt as well, we were down to our 5th string QB. We looked like $#@! against UCLA, and then something amazing started to happen. Chip Kelly coached up our 5th string QB to where he was almost sorta kinda decent in the Civil War, even though we lost.

Then Kelly coached him up and the team beat the $#@! out of USF in the Sun Bowl. Clearly we had someone special on our hands.

The following year, 2008, more QB attrition. We ended up playing a JC transfer named Jeremiah Masoli. Yet Kelly and Bellotti got 10 wins and an absolute ass-kicking of Oklahoma State to end the season. Bellotti was quietly pushed upstairs to the AD position. Kelly was the head coach.

People generally know the story from here - four BCS berths, oh-so-close in the NC game against Auburn, wins in the Rose and Fiesta Bowls. Kelly leaves for the Eagles.

Now we have a rookie HC who is something of a question mark - and the team stumbled through its last four games. Something that Kelly brought to Oregon was a relentless focus on what it could control as a team (everything else is a distraction) and winning the next game (the next game is the Super Bowl for us). You win the next game by being the best in practice every day. You are the best in practice by repetition, attention to detail, and technique. So far it seems like we've gotten away from that in 2013 (Rose Bowl comments, DC coordinator comments after Wazzu, Stanford and Oregon State games)... so the magic 8-ball for Oregon football seems to be saying "reply hazy try again."

One of the things that made Oregon Oregon was the focus running from the spread. Chip Kelly wrote this great article about his philosophy:

http://fishduck.com/2012/04/coach-chip-kelly-explains-the-oregon-spread-offense/

See also:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

The new guy, Mark Helfrich, is supposed to be Kelly's disciple and chosen successor. However, the look of the offense IMO has been more akin to a pass-first spreak akin the Mike Leach's Air Raid than Kelly's run-first spread option.

That's why I think Texas could get the upset.

As far as the school goes... nice place.

Academics are middling. Oregon is an AAU school but its focus is more on undergraduate and professional education than research, and thus does not generate a ton of research money. There is no medical school, as the state's med school (in Portland) was spun off in the 1970's to become Oregon Health Sciences University.

A big dispute was getting an independent board of trustees. Historically all Oregon public schools have been under one board. This board favored the ag school that provided the extension services (Oregon State). Our last president tried to change this, was fired for his trouble, and actually won the war since the state Legislature passed a bill giving UO its own independent board this year.

The town is Eugene. I was never impressed with it when I was there. Eugene is 110 miles (exactly) from downtown Portland. I spent a lot of time on I-5 between Eugene and Portland when I was there. Supposedly it is much better now. YMMV. Lots of hippies emigrated from California to Eugene in the late 70's and early 80's which were not kind for hippies nationwide. It seems to be a bit of a bubble in that respect. The movie "Animal House" was filmed entirely on location at UO or nearby in Eugene or Cottage Grove (the final parade scene).

On the other hand, the Oregon Country Fair takes place in nearby Veneta every summer... so, um...

Yeah.

The girls are easy and drugs are widely available, so there is that.

If you can handle the rain.

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

By AZ_Duck

We're a smallish school in the Pacific Northwest.

Like Texas, our main rival is the state school up north (Washington) we don't really hate our instate aggy (Oregon State).

We like to joke that football was invented in 1994, because of this:

http://youtu.be/XqlcRAZfRHc

In reality, we had a longtime coach (Rich Brooks) that we tolerated through a lot of losing seasons because Oregon didn't really support football back then. The stadium only seated 41,000. The coaches' offices were in the basement of the gym, which was built in 1920. Facilities were, how you say, garbage.

That play galvanized the 1994 team, which went on to win the Pac-10 and go to the first Rose Bowl since 1958. Rich Brooks promptly got the $#@! out of town and took an NFL job. His offensive coordinator was a guy with a mustache made for 1980's pr0n named Mike Bellotti.

Bellotti was and is a really smart guy, and a pretty damn good coach. He kept the momentum from the 1994 season going in 1995, matching the 9-win total from the previous season, and beating the hated Huskies in Seattle for the second time in a row. There was some rebuilding in the late 90's, but the team progressed: 6-5 in 1996, 7-4 in 1997, 8-3 in 1998, 9-3 in 1999.

Another thing that happened was that we got our asses beat by Rick Neuheisel in the 1996 Cotton Bowl. This was in many ways more significant than the Rose Bowl appearance. After the game, a group of BMD's (as you call them) met with Bellotti and Bill Moos (the AD at the time) and asked what Oregon needed to do in order to sustain success in the Pac-10. Bellotti answered with a wish-list of facility improvements.

This was the first time that Phil Knight, uber-BMD, got involved with the athletic program. After the 1996 season we got an indoor practice facility, and the new outdoor fields and first fancy-schmancy locker room (to be replaced with the new fancy-schmancy locker room we have now) were installed. The stadium now holds around 60K, SRO. Its been sold out in excess of listed capacity (54,000) since 2002.

The program started having serious success. We beat a pretty good Texas team in the Holiday Bowl. We beat CU in the Fiesta Bowl in 2001-02 and finished #2 in the nation. Mike Bellotti called the BCS "a cancer."

Then we kinda went into the doldrums.

The team was still pretty good, and we were competitive in the league. But Bellotti was a CEO-type, and he gave a lot of leeway to his assistants, especially on the defensive side of the ball. He was interested in new ideas, and wasn't afraid to take chances. That's how he hired Rich Stubler from the CFL to run Oregon's defense for a year. That's how we had the worst defense in the country for a year.

In fairness to Mike, it is also how he developed an interest in the spread offenses that were beginning to pop up here and there around college FB. One of his first spread OCs was a guy named Gary Crowton. Crowton was a poor fit at Oregon and didn't last long. When he left, it was mutual, and there weren't really any bad feelings. Crowton suggested to Mike that if he was really interested in the spread, then the guy he needed to talk to was the OC at New Hampshire named Chip Kelly, who was the guru of the spread.

At the time Oregon had a kid named Dennis Dixon who was pretty highly touted but had never been consistent. One of Bellotti's shortcomings (in my view) was his willingness to use a 2-QB system when neither really won the job. That's how we ended up with A.J. Feeley and Kellen Clemens, and some other instances where we platooned our QBs. Dixon started out platooning.

Chip Kelly came to Eugene and made Dixon the guy. He got the most out of his not-inconsiderable talent. Behind Dixon and a talented roster, Oregon ran Kelly's spread in 2007 and made a lot of noise. Then a late hit against ASU damaged Dixon's knee. Nobody really knew how badly until the next game against Arizona.

Have I mentioned that I $#@!ing hate Arizona?

Ryan Leaf's brother got hurt as well, we were down to our 5th string QB. We looked like $#@! against UCLA, and then something amazing started to happen. Chip Kelly coached up our 5th string QB to where he was almost sorta kinda decent in the Civil War, even though we lost.

Then Kelly coached him up and the team beat the $#@! out of USF in the Sun Bowl. Clearly we had someone special on our hands.

The following year, 2008, more QB attrition. We ended up playing a JC transfer named Jeremiah Masoli. Yet Kelly and Bellotti got 10 wins and an absolute ass-kicking of Oklahoma State to end the season. Bellotti was quietly pushed upstairs to the AD position. Kelly was the head coach.

People generally know the story from here - four BCS berths, oh-so-close in the NC game against Auburn, wins in the Rose and Fiesta Bowls. Kelly leaves for the Eagles.

Now we have a rookie HC who is something of a question mark - and the team stumbled through its last four games. Something that Kelly brought to Oregon was a relentless focus on what it could control as a team (everything else is a distraction) and winning the next game (the next game is the Super Bowl for us). You win the next game by being the best in practice every day. You are the best in practice by repetition, attention to detail, and technique. So far it seems like we've gotten away from that in 2013 (Rose Bowl comments, DC coordinator comments after Wazzu, Stanford and Oregon State games)... so the magic 8-ball for Oregon football seems to be saying "reply hazy try again."

One of the things that made Oregon Oregon was the focus running from the spread. Chip Kelly wrote this great article about his philosophy:

http://fishduck.com/2012/04/coach-chip-kelly-explains-the-oregon-spread-offense/

See also:

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8631595/the-success-chip-kelly-oregon-ducks-offense-more-familiar-seems

The new guy, Mark Helfrich, is supposed to be Kelly's disciple and chosen successor. However, the look of the offense IMO has been more akin to a pass-first spreak akin the Mike Leach's Air Raid than Kelly's run-first spread option.

That's why I think Texas could get the upset.

As far as the school goes... nice place.

Academics are middling. Oregon is an AAU school but its focus is more on undergraduate and professional education than research, and thus does not generate a ton of research money. There is no medical school, as the state's med school (in Portland) was spun off in the 1970's to become Oregon Health Sciences University.

A big dispute was getting an independent board of trustees. Historically all Oregon public schools have been under one board. This board favored the ag school that provided the extension services (Oregon State). Our last president tried to change this, was fired for his trouble, and actually won the war since the state Legislature passed a bill giving UO its own independent board this year.

The town is Eugene. I was never impressed with it when I was there. Eugene is 110 miles (exactly) from downtown Portland. I spent a lot of time on I-5 between Eugene and Portland when I was there. Supposedly it is much better now. YMMV. Lots of hippies emigrated from California to Eugene in the late 70's and early 80's which were not kind for hippies nationwide. It seems to be a bit of a bubble in that respect. The movie "Animal House" was filmed entirely on location at UO or nearby in Eugene or Cottage Grove (the final parade scene).

On the other hand, the Oregon Country Fair takes place in nearby Veneta every summer... so, um...

Yeah.

The girls are easy and drugs are widely available, so there is that.

If you can handle the rain.

Disagree
  • Options
    SandyHookerSandyHooker Member Posts: 343
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper Testing 1
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    good effort
    Eugene is a great town with lots to do and see
    etc...

Hello
    Go Ducks!
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,581
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I met a guy named Eugene once. You don't meet many people named Eugene in today's world. I never met anyone named Seattle. So that's pretty great.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    I said something in defense of Ernie Kent about seven years ago on eQuook and I didn't realize how true it is until now: Great players will come to Eugene to play, but they won't come to Eugene to sit.

What I meant was if you have a bad ass freshman or soph then you weren't getting another bad ass at that position until the one you have is a senior. Eugene fucking sucks. It's nice to visit, but as a college kid you want weed, women, and weather. UO has the weed, but the girls are lacking in mass and the weather is shit.

Ernie would go out and sign a great class once every cycle and when they were juniors and seniors they'd be one of the better teams in the nation. Even when he was fired he had an extremely talented group that were all going to be juniors the next year.

Now you get a guy like Dana Altman who much like Chip Kelly plays almost every fucking kid on the roster with a scholarship. You can recruit all kinds of depth if they're going to play in every game right away or after a redshirt. The one thing about playing a ton of kids is you have to be a ridiculously good coach. The coach has to have control of every detail, no exception, and everyone has to be bought in.

What I saw from Slingblade was a lack of consistency in all areas and the significant drop off in play from the depth. That shit never happened under Chip. Oregon is at a cross road. They can keep a guy trying to be Chip and recruit a bunch of talent and play them a ton, poorly which will result is fades and face plants. Or, they can hire another traditional style coach who will have great starters with mediocre depth and just get physically beaten two or three times a year on average.

Location, location, location; Eugene is a shitty one for just about everything when it comes to recruit appeal and proximity. Jamaican Rosewood and Xbox's won't change that.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2013
    Mosster47 said:

I said something in defense of Ernie Kent about seven years ago on eQuook and I didn't realize how true it is until now: Great players will come to Eugene to play, but they won't come to Eugene to sit.

What I meant was if you have a bad ass freshman or soph then you weren't getting another bad ass at that position until the one you have is a senior. Eugene fucking sucks. It's nice to visit, but as a college kid you want weed, women, and weather. UO has the weed, but the girls are lacking in mass and the weather is shit.

Ernie would go out and sign a great class once every cycle and when they were juniors and seniors they'd be one of the better teams in the nation. Even when he was fired he had an extremely talented group that were all going to be juniors the next year.

Now you get a guy like Dana Altman who much like Chip Kelly plays almost every fucking kid on the roster with a scholarship. You can recruit all kinds of depth if they're going to play in every game right away or after a redshirt. The one thing about playing a ton of kids is you have to be a ridiculously good coach. The coach has to have control of every detail, no exception, and everyone has to be bought in.

What I saw from Slingblade was a lack of consistency in all areas and the significant drop off in play from the depth. That shit never happened under Chip. Oregon is at a cross road. They can keep a guy trying to be Chip and recruit a bunch of talent and play them a ton, poorly which will result is fades and face plants. Or, they can hire another traditional style coach who will have great starters with mediocre depth and just get physically beaten two or three times a year on average.

Location, location, location; Eugene is a shitty one for just about everything when it comes to recruit appeal and proximity. Jamaican Rosewood and Xbox's won't change that.

Everyone on the boards but me and like two fucking other guys seems to get this: Eugene does not matter.

Apparently, none of you have been to:

Norman Oklahoma, Happy Valley, PA, Syracuse, NY, Tuscaloosa, AL, College Station, TX, Tallahassee, FL, any place in Kentucky, any place in Arkansas, Lincoln, Nebraska, Manhattan, KS, any place else in the midwest not in the city of Chicago.

I could go on and on. If there had been a different outcome in this state's history, and the UW had been sited in Olympia and the capital up on homo hill, there would be no difference in Washington's football history. If that same program had gone on runs like Oklahoma has, it would matter not that it was located in Olympia.

Olympia is Eugene. I've been to both on several occasions. They are the same place save for the UofO and a Federal Courthouse located in one and not the other. Besides that, they are the same place.

Are they dumps? No. Hoquiam, WA is a dump. Are either a thriving sophisticated metropolis? No. Does it matter? No.

So much "theory" is wasted here on that variable.

You need a AD that cares, some money to spend, and a fucking coach. The rest follows. It helps if your talent is in your backyard, but you can overcome that too. Too many programs have to list here.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Matou i te kura i roto i te smallish Pacific Northwest .

Rite Texas , ko te kura kāwanatanga tatou tāwhai matua ake te raki ( Washington ) e kore e tino kino ana tatou i to tatou aggy instate ( Oregon State ) .

Rite tatou ki te ho'ata mea whakaaro whutupaoro i roto i te tau 1994 , no te mea o tenei :

I roto i te vairaa mau , i matou he kaiako e piti ( Rich Brooks ) e hiahia matou i roto i te rota o te ngaro te tau kihai i no te mea tino tautoko Oregon whutupōro hoki ka . Te taiwhanga hākinakina noho 41.000 anake . Tari i te kaiako hākinakina ' i roto i te basement o te omaoma , i hanga nei e i roto i te tau 1920 . I Facilities , he pehea te kupu a koutou , otaota .

E tākaro piauau te rōpū 1994 , i haere ki runga ki ki te riro i te Pac - 10 , ka haere ki te tuatahi Rose Bowl mai i te tau 1958 . Taonga Brooks ka wawe te $ # @ ! i roto o te pa , a ka mau i te mahi NFL . Tona kairuruku piro ko ha ki he ngutu i hanga mo o 1980 pr0n ingoa Mike Bellotti .

Bellotti ko a ko ha mooni smart , me te kaiako tino whakatara te pai . I pupuri e ia i te torohaki i te wa 1994 haere i roto i te tau 1995 , e ōrite ana ki te katoa 9 - win i te wa o mua , a ka patu i te Huskies kino i roto i Seattle mo te wa tuarua i roto i te rarangi . He ko etahi hanga i roto i te mutunga o te 90 o , engari whakamua te rōpū : 6-5 i roto i te tau 1996 , 7-4 i roto i te tau 1997 , 8-3 i roto i te tau 1998 , 9-3 i roto i te tau 1999 .

Tetahi mea e tupu ko e ka tatou i to tatou kaihe whiua e Rick Neuheisel i roto i te tau 1996 Cotton Bowl . Tenei i roto i te maha atu ara nui atu i te ahua Rose Bowl . I muri i te kēmu , ka tutaki i te rōpū o BMD o ( rite ki te karanga koutou ki a ratou ) ki Bellotti me Bill Moos ( te AD i te wa ) , ka ui te mea e ti'a Oregon ki te mahi i roto i te tikanga ki te paturu te angitu i roto i te Pac - 10 . Ka whakahoki Bellotti ki te hiahia - rārangi o ngā whakapaitanga facility .

Tenei , ko te wa tuatahi e Phil Knight , uber - BMD , te whakatauki whai wāhi ki te hōtaka sipoti . I muri i te wa i te tau 1996 ka matou he whare mahi o rō whare , me tāuta te mara waho hou , me te hokohoko, - schmancy whare tīni kākahu tuatahi ( ki te e whakakapia ki te hokohoko, - schmancy whare tīni kākahu hou tatou inaianei ) i . Te taiwhanga hākinakina inaianei pupuri a tawhio noa 60K , SRO . Ona i hokona i roto i roto i te taikaha o te kaha rārangi ( 54,000 ) mai i te tau 2002 .

Tīmata te hōtaka he angitu nui . Whiua matou he rōpū Texas tino pai i roto i te Holiday Bowl . Whiua matou CR i roto i te Fiesta Bowl i te 2001-02 me te oti # 2 i roto i te iwi . Ka karanga Mike Bellotti te BCS " te mate pukupuku . "

Na ka kinda haere matou ki roto ki te doldrums .

Ko te rōpū tonu tino pai , a ka ko matou whakataetae i roto i te kawenata . Otiia ko Bellotti he Tumu - momo , a ka hoatu e ia he rota o leeway ki ona Hoa , ki te taha rawa ārai o te pōro . I aro i roto i ngā whakaaro hou ia , a kihai i wehi ki te tango tūponotanga . Ko e founga utua e ia Rich Stubler i te CFL ki te whakahaere korero o Oregon mo te tau . Ko e founga ia matou i te kino korero i roto i te whenua mo te tau .

I roto i te tika ki a Mike , ko te hoki a reira me pehea e ia whakawhanakehia he pānga i roto i te he horapa i tīmata ki te pakū ake konei , a ki reira a tawhio noa FB kāreti . Ko tētahi o ana OCs horapa tuatahi ko ha , ko Gary Crowton . He pai rawakore Crowton i Oregon , a kihai i muri roa . A, no ka mahue ia , ko tahi te reira , a kahore i reira i tetahi mau mana'o kino pono . Ngā Crowton ki Mike e ki ko ia tino aro i roto i te horapa , ka ko te taata e hiahiatia ana e ia ki te kōrero ki te OC i New Hampshire , ko Tipia, Kelly , ko wai ko te Guru o te horapa .

I te wa i Oregon he koati , ko Dennis Dixon i tino tino nei i tauā engari i kore rawa i ōrite . Ko tētahi o paruparu o Bellotti ( i roto i toku tirotiro ai ) ko tona hiahia ki te whakamahi i tētahi pūnaha 2 - QB ka tino riro e kore te mahi . Ko e founga ia tatou te mutunga ki A.J. ake Feeley me Kellen Clemens , me etahi atu wā i reira platooned tatou i to tatou QBs . Tīmata Dixon i platooning .

Ka haere mai maramara Kelly ki Eugene me te hanga Dixon te taata . Ka eke ia i te tino i roto i tona taranata kore - inconsiderable . I muri Dixon me te rārangi pūmanawa , ka rere a Oregon horapa o Kelly i roto i te tau 2007 , ka hanga tetahi rota o te hamama . Na ka tūkinotia a hit te mutunga ki ASU turi o Dixon . Tino mohio a tangata pehea kino tae noa ki te kēmu i muri ki a Arizona .

Kua ahau whakahuatia e ahau $ # @ ! Anga kino Arizona ?

I mamae teina Ryan Leaf o Ua rite pai , ko matou ki raro, ki to tatou QB string 5 . Titiro matou rite $ # @ ! ki aiihi , a ka tahi mea whakamiharo tīmata ki te tupu . Ua tauturu maramara Kelly ake to tatou QB string 5 ki te wahi i tata sorta ia kinda tika i roto i te Civil War , ara , ahakoa ko matou ngaro .

Na ka tauturu Kelly ia ki runga , ka whiua te tīma te $ # @ ! i roto o USF i roto i te Sun Bowl . Mārama i tatou i te tangata motuhake i runga i to tatou ringa .

Te tau e whai ake nei , 2008 , takanga atu QB . Mutu matou ake tākaro he whakawhiti JC ingoa Jeremiah Masoli . Heoi ka whakatika a Kelly me Bellotti 10 te whakauru ia , me te kaihe - whana motuhake o Oklahoma State ki te mutunga i te wa . Bellotti i ata panaia kake ki te AD tūnga . Kelly , ko te matenga kaiwhakaako .

Iwi te tikanga e mohio ana ki te kōrero i konei - e wha BCS berths , oh - na - tata i roto i te kēmu NC ki Auburn , toa i roto i te Rose me Fiesta peihana . Rau Kelly mo te e Īkalé .

Na, i te HC rookie ko wai te tahi mea o te tohu pātai matou - ka tutuki te rōpū i roto i ona kēmu whakamutunga e wha . Tetahi mea e kawea mai ki a Kelly Oregon ko te arotahi ki runga i te aha i taea e te hopea ore whakahaere te reira rite te rōpū ( he mea katoa atu i te rorona ) , me te toa i te kēmu i muri mai ( te kēmu i muri ko te Super Bowl mo tatou ) . Riro koe i te kēmu i muri mai na roto i te i te pai i roto i te mahi i nga ra katoa . Ko koe te pai i roto i te mahi i te tāruarua , whakarongo ki te kōrero , me te technique . Heoi tae noa te mea rite kua whiwhi matou atu i taua i roto i te 2013 ( Rose Bowl kōrero , DC kairuruku kōrero i muri i Wazzu , Stanford me Oregon State kēmu ) ... na te makutu 8 - paoro mo Oregon whutupaoro te mea ki te e mea " te whakautu ano piro kōrehurehu . "

Ko e taha o nga mea i hanga Oregon Oregon ko te arotahi rere i te horapa . I tuhituhi maramara Kelly tenei article nui e pā ana ki tona rapunga whakaaro :

Kite ano hoki :

Mahara te taata hou , Mark Helfrich , kua ki te hei akonga a Kelly me te mono i whiriwhiri ai . Heoi , kua IMO kua te titiro o te hara atu rite ki te spreak haere - tuatahi e hāngai ana Air whakaekea te Mike Leach o atu kōwhiringa horapa oma - tuatahi a Kelly .

Ko e whakaaro he aha ahau Texas i taea te tiki i te pouri .

Pera i te matara o te kura e haere ... wahi pai .

He middling mātauranga . Oregon Ko te kura AAU engari tona arotahi atu i te rangahau ko atu i runga i te mätauranga paetahi me te ngaio , me te kupu e kore e whakaputa i te ton o te moni rangahau . Kahore he kura tākuta , ka rite ki te kura med o te kāwanatanga ( i roto i Portland ) whatu atu i roto i te tau 1970 ki te riro o Oregon Sciences Health University .

I whiwhi He raruraru nui te poari motuhake o ngā kaitiaki . Mua kua kura tūmatanui katoa Oregon kua raro i tetahi papa . He ahua tenei poari i te kura ag i ngā ratonga i te whakawhānui ( Oregon State ) . Tamata tatou peresideni whakamutunga ki te huri i tenei , i puhia hoki tona raruraru , a ka mau i riro i te whawhai mai haere te Ture kāwanatanga he pire e hoatu UO tona ake poari motuhake i tēnei tau .

Ko Eugene i te pa . E kore ahau ua faahiahia ki reira , no te i ahau i reira . Eugene he maile e 110 ( rite ) i te Shortland Portland . Pau ahau i te rota o te wa i runga i ahau - 5 i waenganui Eugene me Portland i ahau i reira . Mahara ana he pai nui inaianei . YMMV . Heke rota o hippies i California ki Eugene i roto i te mutunga o 70 o , me te tīmatanga o te 80 o e kore i nei atawhai hoki hippies te motu . Te āhua ki te hei i te āhua o te mirumiru i roto i taua faatura . Te kiriata " House Animal " i te kiriata katoa i runga i te wāhi i UO tata i roto i Eugene Cottage Grove ( te scene parade whakamutunga ) rānei .

I te atu i te ringa , te Oregon Country Fair e wahi i roto i te Veneta tata nga raumati ... na , um ...

Io .

Te mau tamahine e ngāwari me he whānui te wātea taero , kia reira ko e .

Ki te taea e rahurahu nei e koe i te ua .
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

Matou i te kura i roto i te smallish Pacific Northwest .

Rite Texas , ko te kura kāwanatanga tatou tāwhai matua ake te raki ( Washington ) e kore e tino kino ana tatou i to tatou aggy instate ( Oregon State ) .

Rite tatou ki te ho'ata mea whakaaro whutupaoro i roto i te tau 1994 , no te mea o tenei :

I roto i te vairaa mau , i matou he kaiako e piti ( Rich Brooks ) e hiahia matou i roto i te rota o te ngaro te tau kihai i no te mea tino tautoko Oregon whutupōro hoki ka . Te taiwhanga hākinakina noho 41.000 anake . Tari i te kaiako hākinakina ' i roto i te basement o te omaoma , i hanga nei e i roto i te tau 1920 . I Facilities , he pehea te kupu a koutou , otaota .

E tākaro piauau te rōpū 1994 , i haere ki runga ki ki te riro i te Pac - 10 , ka haere ki te tuatahi Rose Bowl mai i te tau 1958 . Taonga Brooks ka wawe te $ # @ ! i roto o te pa , a ka mau i te mahi NFL . Tona kairuruku piro ko ha ki he ngutu i hanga mo o 1980 pr0n ingoa Mike Bellotti .

Bellotti ko a ko ha mooni smart , me te kaiako tino whakatara te pai . I pupuri e ia i te torohaki i te wa 1994 haere i roto i te tau 1995 , e ōrite ana ki te katoa 9 - win i te wa o mua , a ka patu i te Huskies kino i roto i Seattle mo te wa tuarua i roto i te rarangi . He ko etahi hanga i roto i te mutunga o te 90 o , engari whakamua te rōpū : 6-5 i roto i te tau 1996 , 7-4 i roto i te tau 1997 , 8-3 i roto i te tau 1998 , 9-3 i roto i te tau 1999 .

Tetahi mea e tupu ko e ka tatou i to tatou kaihe whiua e Rick Neuheisel i roto i te tau 1996 Cotton Bowl . Tenei i roto i te maha atu ara nui atu i te ahua Rose Bowl . I muri i te kēmu , ka tutaki i te rōpū o BMD o ( rite ki te karanga koutou ki a ratou ) ki Bellotti me Bill Moos ( te AD i te wa ) , ka ui te mea e ti'a Oregon ki te mahi i roto i te tikanga ki te paturu te angitu i roto i te Pac - 10 . Ka whakahoki Bellotti ki te hiahia - rārangi o ngā whakapaitanga facility .

Tenei , ko te wa tuatahi e Phil Knight , uber - BMD , te whakatauki whai wāhi ki te hōtaka sipoti . I muri i te wa i te tau 1996 ka matou he whare mahi o rō whare , me tāuta te mara waho hou , me te hokohoko, - schmancy whare tīni kākahu tuatahi ( ki te e whakakapia ki te hokohoko, - schmancy whare tīni kākahu hou tatou inaianei ) i . Te taiwhanga hākinakina inaianei pupuri a tawhio noa 60K , SRO . Ona i hokona i roto i roto i te taikaha o te kaha rārangi ( 54,000 ) mai i te tau 2002 .

Tīmata te hōtaka he angitu nui . Whiua matou he rōpū Texas tino pai i roto i te Holiday Bowl . Whiua matou CR i roto i te Fiesta Bowl i te 2001-02 me te oti # 2 i roto i te iwi . Ka karanga Mike Bellotti te BCS " te mate pukupuku . "

Na ka kinda haere matou ki roto ki te doldrums .

Ko te rōpū tonu tino pai , a ka ko matou whakataetae i roto i te kawenata . Otiia ko Bellotti he Tumu - momo , a ka hoatu e ia he rota o leeway ki ona Hoa , ki te taha rawa ārai o te pōro . I aro i roto i ngā whakaaro hou ia , a kihai i wehi ki te tango tūponotanga . Ko e founga utua e ia Rich Stubler i te CFL ki te whakahaere korero o Oregon mo te tau . Ko e founga ia matou i te kino korero i roto i te whenua mo te tau .

I roto i te tika ki a Mike , ko te hoki a reira me pehea e ia whakawhanakehia he pānga i roto i te he horapa i tīmata ki te pakū ake konei , a ki reira a tawhio noa FB kāreti . Ko tētahi o ana OCs horapa tuatahi ko ha , ko Gary Crowton . He pai rawakore Crowton i Oregon , a kihai i muri roa . A, no ka mahue ia , ko tahi te reira , a kahore i reira i tetahi mau mana'o kino pono . Ngā Crowton ki Mike e ki ko ia tino aro i roto i te horapa , ka ko te taata e hiahiatia ana e ia ki te kōrero ki te OC i New Hampshire , ko Tipia, Kelly , ko wai ko te Guru o te horapa .

I te wa i Oregon he koati , ko Dennis Dixon i tino tino nei i tauā engari i kore rawa i ōrite . Ko tētahi o paruparu o Bellotti ( i roto i toku tirotiro ai ) ko tona hiahia ki te whakamahi i tētahi pūnaha 2 - QB ka tino riro e kore te mahi . Ko e founga ia tatou te mutunga ki A.J. ake Feeley me Kellen Clemens , me etahi atu wā i reira platooned tatou i to tatou QBs . Tīmata Dixon i platooning .

Ka haere mai maramara Kelly ki Eugene me te hanga Dixon te taata . Ka eke ia i te tino i roto i tona taranata kore - inconsiderable . I muri Dixon me te rārangi pūmanawa , ka rere a Oregon horapa o Kelly i roto i te tau 2007 , ka hanga tetahi rota o te hamama . Na ka tūkinotia a hit te mutunga ki ASU turi o Dixon . Tino mohio a tangata pehea kino tae noa ki te kēmu i muri ki a Arizona .

Kua ahau whakahuatia e ahau $ # @ ! Anga kino Arizona ?

I mamae teina Ryan Leaf o Ua rite pai , ko matou ki raro, ki to tatou QB string 5 . Titiro matou rite $ # @ ! ki aiihi , a ka tahi mea whakamiharo tīmata ki te tupu . Ua tauturu maramara Kelly ake to tatou QB string 5 ki te wahi i tata sorta ia kinda tika i roto i te Civil War , ara , ahakoa ko matou ngaro .

Na ka tauturu Kelly ia ki runga , ka whiua te tīma te $ # @ ! i roto o USF i roto i te Sun Bowl . Mārama i tatou i te tangata motuhake i runga i to tatou ringa .

Te tau e whai ake nei , 2008 , takanga atu QB . Mutu matou ake tākaro he whakawhiti JC ingoa Jeremiah Masoli . Heoi ka whakatika a Kelly me Bellotti 10 te whakauru ia , me te kaihe - whana motuhake o Oklahoma State ki te mutunga i te wa . Bellotti i ata panaia kake ki te AD tūnga . Kelly , ko te matenga kaiwhakaako .

Iwi te tikanga e mohio ana ki te kōrero i konei - e wha BCS berths , oh - na - tata i roto i te kēmu NC ki Auburn , toa i roto i te Rose me Fiesta peihana . Rau Kelly mo te e Īkalé .

Na, i te HC rookie ko wai te tahi mea o te tohu pātai matou - ka tutuki te rōpū i roto i ona kēmu whakamutunga e wha . Tetahi mea e kawea mai ki a Kelly Oregon ko te arotahi ki runga i te aha i taea e te hopea ore whakahaere te reira rite te rōpū ( he mea katoa atu i te rorona ) , me te toa i te kēmu i muri mai ( te kēmu i muri ko te Super Bowl mo tatou ) . Riro koe i te kēmu i muri mai na roto i te i te pai i roto i te mahi i nga ra katoa . Ko koe te pai i roto i te mahi i te tāruarua , whakarongo ki te kōrero , me te technique . Heoi tae noa te mea rite kua whiwhi matou atu i taua i roto i te 2013 ( Rose Bowl kōrero , DC kairuruku kōrero i muri i Wazzu , Stanford me Oregon State kēmu ) ... na te makutu 8 - paoro mo Oregon whutupaoro te mea ki te e mea " te whakautu ano piro kōrehurehu . "

Ko e taha o nga mea i hanga Oregon Oregon ko te arotahi rere i te horapa . I tuhituhi maramara Kelly tenei article nui e pā ana ki tona rapunga whakaaro :

Kite ano hoki :

Mahara te taata hou , Mark Helfrich , kua ki te hei akonga a Kelly me te mono i whiriwhiri ai . Heoi , kua IMO kua te titiro o te hara atu rite ki te spreak haere - tuatahi e hāngai ana Air whakaekea te Mike Leach o atu kōwhiringa horapa oma - tuatahi a Kelly .

Ko e whakaaro he aha ahau Texas i taea te tiki i te pouri .

Pera i te matara o te kura e haere ... wahi pai .

He middling mātauranga . Oregon Ko te kura AAU engari tona arotahi atu i te rangahau ko atu i runga i te mätauranga paetahi me te ngaio , me te kupu e kore e whakaputa i te ton o te moni rangahau . Kahore he kura tākuta , ka rite ki te kura med o te kāwanatanga ( i roto i Portland ) whatu atu i roto i te tau 1970 ki te riro o Oregon Sciences Health University .

I whiwhi He raruraru nui te poari motuhake o ngā kaitiaki . Mua kua kura tūmatanui katoa Oregon kua raro i tetahi papa . He ahua tenei poari i te kura ag i ngā ratonga i te whakawhānui ( Oregon State ) . Tamata tatou peresideni whakamutunga ki te huri i tenei , i puhia hoki tona raruraru , a ka mau i riro i te whawhai mai haere te Ture kāwanatanga he pire e hoatu UO tona ake poari motuhake i tēnei tau .

Ko Eugene i te pa . E kore ahau ua faahiahia ki reira , no te i ahau i reira . Eugene he maile e 110 ( rite ) i te Shortland Portland . Pau ahau i te rota o te wa i runga i ahau - 5 i waenganui Eugene me Portland i ahau i reira . Mahara ana he pai nui inaianei . YMMV . Heke rota o hippies i California ki Eugene i roto i te mutunga o 70 o , me te tīmatanga o te 80 o e kore i nei atawhai hoki hippies te motu . Te āhua ki te hei i te āhua o te mirumiru i roto i taua faatura . Te kiriata " House Animal " i te kiriata katoa i runga i te wāhi i UO tata i roto i Eugene Cottage Grove ( te scene parade whakamutunga ) rānei .

I te atu i te ringa , te Oregon Country Fair e wahi i roto i te Veneta tata nga raumati ... na , um ...

Io .

Te mau tamahine e ngāwari me he whānui te wātea taero , kia reira ko e .

Ki te taea e rahurahu nei e koe i te ua .

I'll take the humahumanukanuka-a-pua-ah with a side of those purple rolls and a dancing tiki babe with a coconut bra.
  • Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,821
    Swaye's Wigwam

Norman Oklahoma, Happy Valley, PA, Syracuse, NY, Tuscaloosa, AL, College Station, TX, Tallahassee, FL, any place in Kentucky, any place in Arkansas, Lincoln, Nebraska, Manhattan, KS, any place else in the midwest not in the city of Chicago.

I could go on and on. If there had been a different outcome in this state's history, and the UW had been sited in Olympia and the capital up on homo hill, there would be no difference in Washington's football history. If that same program had gone on runs like Oklahoma has, it would matter not that it was located in Olympia.

Olympia is Eugene. I've been to both on several occasions. They are the same place save for the UofO and a Federal Courthouse located in one and not the other. Besides that, they are the same place.

Norman is basically a suburb of Oklahoma City. Tuscaloosa is a short drive from the largest metro area in Alabama. Lincoln and Tallahassee are state capitals. Lexington, KY and the Fayetteville area of Arkansas are the nicest parts of each state.

Manhattan = a larger, easier to get to Pullman. College Station sucks.

Homo hill is in Seattle, not Olympia.
    \
    Olympia is within the Seattle metro area. Olympia is 30 miles from Tacoma and 60 miles from Seattle. The eastern parts are already turning into bedroom communities for people commuting to DuPont and other places north.

Olympia is also a lot different than Eugene. Being a state capital, huge military area, and bedroom community hugely overshadow the colleges. If Aberdeen or Centralia were a major college town, they could be Eugene like.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,728
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    When did Tequila become a duck fan?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Low tweak.

When did Tequila become a duck fan?

• Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,517
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Moss you need to go back to campus soon...the quality of female coed there has improved 1000%....Oregon has rapidly become the ASU for dumb, hot NorCal girls who can't get into any UC schools (much like most ASU girls are Southern California girls who don't get into any UCs or USC).
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    ntxduck said:

Moss you need to go back to campus soon...the quality of female coed there has improved 1000%....Oregon has rapidly become the ASU for dumb, hot NorCal girls who can't get into any UC schools (much like most ASU girls are Southern California girls who don't get into any UCs or USC).

Confirmed.
  • Options
    FenwickFenwick Member Posts: 1,174
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment 5 Awesomes
    just sit across from the bookstore and ogle...
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Hell, this was pretty much the case when I was there in the 90's
    ntxduck said:

• Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    This thread delivers
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,898
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Mosster47 said:

Everyone on the boards but me and like two fucking other guys seems to get this: Eugene does not matter.

Are they dumps? No. Hoquiam, WA is a dump. Are either a thriving sophisticated metropolis? No. Does it matter? No.

You need a AD that cares, some money to spend, and a fucking coach. The rest follows. It helps if your talent is in your backyard, but you can overcome that too. Too many programs have to list here.
    Maybe, but Oregon isn't Bammer, Nebraska, State Penn etc., and they aren't going to develop into FSU or Miami. It's still not a destination job. They kind of lucked out on Chimp (IDK, maybe Bellotti saw something with him, which would mean maybe it wasn't so much luck). The point is, they've peaked.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    edited December 2013
    ntxduck said:

It's still not ASU or UA. The women still want weather if possible. What I'm getting at is it's about the coach. The same fuck heads in Tucson tell me they don't have the right conditions to get football recruits as the basketball program recruits toe-to-toe with Duke, UNC, KU, and UK. How can you attract the top blick kids in one sport and not the other? It's because Lute was one of the best coaches ever and Miller can recruit well enough to make up for being a mediocre coach.

I go to Eugene all the time and I'm in Phoenix and Tucson all the time. I'm glad I was a Wildcat, I'll leave iit at that.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited December 2013

Mosster47 said:

Maybe, but Oregon isn't Bammer, Nebraska, State Penn etc., and they aren't going to develop into FSU or Miami. It's still not a destination job. They kind of lucked out on Chimp (IDK, maybe Bellotti saw something with him, which would mean maybe it wasn't so much luck). The point is, they've peaked.

your response could have been made this short: "yeah, but still."

those schools, even the Floridas, suck when their coaches suck. look at Miami. boat raced in the worst possible way by a program that would not finish in the top 1/2 of this conference. and Miami has every recruiting advantage USC has. frankly, Miami isn't a "destination job" either. they're just luck to be where they are.

so, the "it's not a destination job," or "yeah, but Oregon isn't ________," lines are just a knee jerk responses for people who have trouble generating original work on their own. all caps so you can read it: NORMAN FUCKING OKLAHOMA!!!!!!!!!!

Washington wasn't, and isn't, a destination job either. the fact that it's in Seattle is of no relevance because the PNW is one of the weaker recruiting regions in the country. there are a lot of bigger cities in the mid atlantic and northeast ... please list for me all the power house programs sited in Boston, Philly, New York and New Jersey.

[chirping]

[chirping]

yes, exactly.

as to Oregon peaking, I guess we'll see. they sleep walked over Tejas, IN Tejas, yesterday in front of a packed house and a whole lotta Tejas recruits saw the game.