Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Teachers

2»

Comments

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,478
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The teachers are all about the kids now, but let’s see what happens when it’s suggested they extend the school year into summer.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,765
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

This happens to you a lot?

I know a lot of teachers, yes.
    So do I.
    Of course you do. Is your Husband a Teacher?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

The Throbber's two dads and biological mom were educators. They took it seriously and didn't get paid shit. More often than not, we were having breakfast for dinner by the time the end of the month rolled around.

To this day, I still have former students of my dad who come up to me with tears in their eyes talking about his impact on their respective lives. He died a very wealthy man, in my book. My mom continued to work into her 70's in an administrative/office capacity - she hated the unions with a passion. They kept the lowlife, non performing teachers on the payroll - just moved them around instead of moving them out.

They are rolling in their graves at the state of public education these days.

Most teachers now suck and never stop complaining. They feed on the hero label. That's what happens when you don't have to compete. You end up settling in. I had maybe 3 teachers I can think of that were worth a shit.
    I'm old. Most of my teachers were heroes. One shop teacher survived the Baatan Death March.

Those were some tough, tough dudes.
    All my best teachers were WW2 or Korean Vets. Didn't learn shit about Biology, but learned a ton about human nature and environmentalism from my always hungover HS Bio teach. Good guy. Lived into his 90's, cause he knew how to eat. And drink. And kill guys.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

The Throbber's two dads and biological mom were educators. They took it seriously and didn't get paid shit. More often than not, we were having breakfast for dinner by the time the end of the month rolled around.

To this day, I still have former students of my dad who come up to me with tears in their eyes talking about his impact on their respective lives. He died a very wealthy man, in my book. My mom continued to work into her 70's in an administrative/office capacity - she hated the unions with a passion. They kept the lowlife, non performing teachers on the payroll - just moved them around instead of moving them out.

Most teachers now suck and never stop complaining. They feed on the hero label. That's what happens when you don't have to compete. You end up settling in. I had maybe 3 teachers I can think of that were worth a shit.
    I'm old. Most of my teachers were heroes. One shop teacher survived the Baatan Death March.

The greatest generation label wasn't hype!
  • Options

All my best teachers were WW2 or Korean Vets. Didn't learn shit about Biology, but learned a ton about human nature and environmentalism from my always hungover HS Bio teach. Good guy. Lived into his 90's, cause he knew how to eat. And drink. And kill guys.
    One of my two dads was not a violent man. Actually pretty gentle but if you pushed him past his breaking point, his temper was insane. I saw a newspaper clipping of his high school athletic feats where apparently the ref ended up with a black eye and papa throbber was ejected from the game. Putting two and two together, pretty sure the line was crossed.

He used to take unruly boys out in the hallway, look both ways to make there were no witnesses, then grab them by the collar, lift them up off their feet and slam them quick up against the lockers while telling them to shape the fuck up in class. I saw it once and it scared the shit out of me.

That was pretty normal behavior by my high school teachers - the former Marines were the scariest. They were bad motherfuckers who'd faced death - they gave no fucks about a mouthy 16 year old.

CSB. I miss him.
    My pop was the same way. One chance given to straighten up. If you blew it, you got pressed against the wall and lifted off your feet. Those old WW2 bastards understood leverage and physics on account of not wearing facemarks on the gridiron.

Cool story, bruh warning:
    About 1981 I witnessed my buddy's dad, about 6-3, 230 lb fireman & weightlifter lift two punk motorcycle thieves about a foot off the ground, one on each arm, and hold them up there for about a minute while he growled a bunch of words like "skulls" "eyeballs" and "never walk again" into their faces. They then walked the stolen bike back to my buddy's house and sat injun-style on the garage floor without moving an inch until the Sheriff showed up and took them away.

I miss the era where you could intimidate the piss out of punk kids without fear of lawsuits or other reprisals. Life was better then, without a doubt.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

But your teacher was a hero not by being a teacher. I'm your age. Had a few WWII guys. Football coach was a fighter pilot. He was a war hero and sucked as a teacher. No abundance
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,330

One of my two dads was not a violent man. Actually pretty gentle but if you pushed him past his breaking point, his temper was insane. I saw a newspaper clipping of his high school athletic feats where apparently the ref ended up with a black eye and papa throbber was ejected from the game. Putting two and two together, pretty sure the line was crossed.

He used to take unruly boys out in the hallway, look both ways to make there were no witnesses, then grab them by the collar, lift them up off their feet and slam them quick up against the lockers while telling them to shape the fuck up in class. I saw it once and it scared the shit out of me.

That was pretty normal behavior by my high school teachers - the former Marines were the scariest. They were bad motherfuckers who'd faced death - they gave no fucks about a mouthy 16 year old.

CSB. I miss him.
    My pop was the same way. One chance given to straighten up. If you blew it, you got pressed against the wall and lifted off your feet. Those old WW2 bastards understood leverage and physics on account of not wearing facemarks on the gridiron.

About 1981 I witnessed my buddy's dad, about 6-3, 230 lb fireman & weightlifter lift two punk motorcycle thieves about a foot off the ground, one on each arm, and hold them up there for about a minute while he growled a bunch of words like "skulls" "eyeballs" and "never walk again" into their faces. They then walked the stolen bike back to my buddy's house and sat injun-style on the garage floor without moving an inch until the Sheriff showed up and took them away.

I miss the era where you could intimidate the piss out of punk kids without fear of lawsuits or other reprisals. Life was better then, without a doubt.
    1981 is the new "olden days".
  • Options
    HHusky said:

CSB. I miss him.

Beta POTD.
  • Options
    ToiletBowl1983ToiletBowl1983 Member Posts: 81
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I used to know a lot of teachers. They all retired in their early to mid 50s at full pay and full free medical. Oregon pension system is broke ass as a result. Now it's way broke ass as tax revenue is collapsing.

My dad retired in Oregon, he definitely did not get free medical.
    Like a 30 year PERS employee? Like in the late 1990s when my kids teachers retired? Was a teacher? Other than that go see HH and get your hug and a ribbon. You can do the same for the dazzler.
    Yes he was a teacher, but retired with age, not 30 years. He retired in the early 2000s. I think there may be a few school districts that continue to provide health insurance after retirement. A retired person can get insurance through PERS but it isn't cheap, and certainly not free.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,088
    edited April 2020
    HHusky said:

CSB. I miss him.

Showing off those maff skilz again.

Did Papa Throbber give you an owie when he concussed you against the lockers?
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,129
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter

I used to know a lot of teachers. They all retired in their early to mid 50s at full pay and full free medical. Oregon pension system is broke ass as a result. Now it's way broke ass as tax revenue is collapsing.

Like a 30 year PERS employee? Like in the late 1990s when my kids teachers retired? Was a teacher? Other than that go see HH and get your hug and a ribbon. You can do the same for the dazzler.
    Yes he was a teacher, but retired with age, not 30 years. He retired in the early 2000s. I think there may be a few school districts that continue to provide health insurance after retirement. A retired person can get insurance through PERS but it isn't cheap, and certainly not free.
    So he should have put in his 30 years in the West Linn school district. Thanks for your accidental validation of my post.
  • Options
    ToiletBowl1983ToiletBowl1983 Member Posts: 81
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

So he should have put in his 30 years in the West Linn school district. Thanks for your accidental validation of my post.
    You are correct about West Linn, except you only need to put 15 of those years at West Linn. Apparently some school districts, in an effort to have top of the salary scale teachers retire as soon as they could so they could hire, offered health insurance as an incentive. Unfortunately for those school districts, health care cost have skyrocketed. Now as far as the teachers that retired with full or near full pay, I know plenty of those. The PERS system won't get better until those that won the PERS generational lottery die off (which will be a while).