Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Marques Tuiasosopo and Pat Conniff

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,561 Founders Club
edited March 2020 in Hardcore Husky Board
This was long before I arrived in Woodinville... But this poster was from the Woodinville Falcons in 1996. It belongs to a former assistant coach named Mark Leander. This team reached the state semifinals. They actually had a 16 point lead in the fourth quarter, but then turned the ball over on four consecutive possessions.

I found this link: https://archive.seattletimes.com/archive/?date=19961124&slug=2361543

In this photo, Tui is #5, and Conniff is #32

Comments

• FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    Living in the past?
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,489 Standard Supporter
    Too much war imagery.
  • picalogestabopicalogestabo Member Posts: 651
    Is that DDY's Maserati before the crash?
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,354 Swaye's Wigwam
    They were a machine. Was surprised they lost, in the quarterfinals. Lost to South Kitsap 41-29, and at the time South Kitsap was one of the bigger programs in the state.

The South Kitsap-Woodinville AAA state quarterfinal started according to script, with Marques Tuiasosopo and his Falcon teammates looking invincible as they raced to a 17-0 lead in the game's first 15 minutes.

Enter Donovan Dashiell, the Wolves' tailback whose injured right hamstring muscle had limited him to four carries in the past four weeks. Dashiell's entrance with nine minutes left in the first half altered the game's landscape with dizzying swiftness.

Dashiell romped for 297 yards and five touchdowns on

27 rushes as South exploded for 27 unanswered second-half points to score a wild 41-29 victory at Lincoln Bowl Saturday.

When it was over, South coach Ed Fisher stood alone on the Lincoln Bowl turf, rain falling in his eyes, absorbing the sheer joy of the moment.

"This is the best victory we have ever had," said Fisher, who has won a few big ones in his storied career, including a victory over Walla Walla to win the 1994 AAA state championship. "They are better than us, and we beat them."

The 12-0 Wolves will play Richland at Kennewick Saturday in a AAA semifinal.

Woodinville, which entered as the top-ranked (Associated Press) team in the state and had surrendered just one defensive touchdown in its last six games, finished 10-1.

The game made an abrupt 180 degree turn in a tumultuous four-minute span of the third quarter after Woodinville had extended its lead to 29-14 on a 28-yard Tuiasosopo run, his third TD of the game. The Falcons turned the ball over on three successive plays and four straight series to create an opening which the Wolves stormed through.

After Woodinville stuffed Dashiell for no gain to send the Wolves three-and-out on their second series of the second half, SK defensive back Tim Sams turned one of several huge plays.

Tuiasosopo hit Barrett Hanson near the South 40, where Sams delivered the hit the started an avalanche of turnovers that buried Woodinville's state championship hopes.

The Falcon receiver lost the ball, and SK's Matt Bussman picked it out of the air and returned it to the Woodinville 40. Dashiell erupted for 33-yard TD on third down to pull the Wolves to 29-20.

The Falcons botched a handoff on the next play, and the Wolves' Brett Maves recovering at the Woodinville 12. When Dashiell scored on the next play and a patient Minnitti found Chris Work for the two-point conversion, the Wolves had

tied the game in a mind-numbing 39 seconds.

It didn't get and better for the Falcons. Sams came up with another big play when he intercepted Tuisasosopo on the next play from scrimmage to give the Wolves a first down at the Falcon 49.

Fisher took no chances, giving the ball to the sure-handed Dashiell eight straight times, the last a four-yard burst off right tackle on 4th-and-one to give the Wolves the lead for good.

Woodinville regrouped and looked poised to score the tying TD. Tuisasosopo led them to the SK 16 in 10 plays, but Conniff's fumble on the 11th and Justin Dawe recovered for South.

Dashiell blew through a monster hole and galloped 83 yards to put the game away.

The 5-9, 170-pound Sams was a giant presence in the South comeback. Sams caught a 24-yard TD pass from Minnitti to rescue the Wolves from a desperate 4th-and-19 situation and cut the Woodinville lead to 17-7.

Dashiell's 27-yard run brought the Wolves to 17-14 with 2:01 left, but a 13-yard run by Blair McIntosh extended theWoodinville lead to 23-14 at the half.

Dashiell admitted that nine minutes on sideline weren't nine minutes too many.

"I just wanted my chance to see what I could do for my team," Dashiell said.

"I was kind of mad and frustrated that I couldn't participate and help my team. ...

"I just ran through the holes; the offensive line did the job, they opened them up."

And Fisher, crestfallen when Dashiell reinjured his hamstring vs. Olympic on Nov. 12, was no longer unhappy.

"We needed to get Donovan in the game," Fisher said. "He's so special; they haven't seen a back like that.

"He's as good as they get."

South Kitsap lost the following weekend to Richland.

Richland would lose in the State Title game to Curtis.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited March 2020
    South Kitsap used to be really good. They fell off and haven’t gotten back. They were really good at basketball in my days too. Multiple 6’5”+ white dudes that were beasts and heady PG’s that didn’t turn it over. They would always have one black wing that couldn’t shoot too.