Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Prioritizing who gets medical care

SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,922
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter
Should the homeless meth-head be on equal footing with 40 year old mother of four on who gets a ventilator?

How about the career criminal vs The 50 year old business man who employs hundreds of people who has been a productive member of society for 30 years?

Comments

• Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Your examples aside, these are all decisions individual doctors and hospitals are going to have to make here very soon. I wouldn't envy anyone who has to make that choice.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited March 2020

Your examples aside, these are all decisions individual doctors and hospitals are going to have to make here very soon. I wouldn't envy anyone who has to make that choice.

Those choices should be easy to make. The tough ones would be 70 year old guy vs a 60 year old guy.

The problem is how fucked up we are now in our society, the homeless meth-head will be given priority in order to combat income inequality and white privilege.
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,474
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    SFGbob said:

Those choices should be easy to make. The tough ones would be 70 year old guy vs a 60 year old guy.

The problem is how fucked up we are now in our society, the homeless meth-head will be given priority in order to combat income inequality and white privilege.
    ‘Cuz individual doctors somehow buy into that? C’mon. There are actual problems to be dealt with. No need to imagine new ones.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

‘Cuz individual doctors somehow buy into that? C’mon. There are actual problems to be dealt with. No need to imagine new ones.
    Yeah, doctors are immune to leftwing woke political pressure.

Leftists being motivated by PC dogma is just a figment of my imagination.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

Yeah, doctors are immune to leftwing woke political pressure.

Leftists being motivated by PC dogma is just a figment of my imagination.
    The paranoia usually doesn’t set in this early. Who exactly is going to pressure theses doctors to be woke?

But on the plus side, at least you recognize that medical resources are finite. Some of your colleagues seem to think healthcare is a right.
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    SFGbob said:

Yeah I'm not buying this weird argument you're trying to make that a doctor will now prioritize some "homeless meth-head" over otherwise worthy lives due to woke leftist policies. There's plenty of real narratives worthy of your indignation, you don't have to invent new ones.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

SFGbob said:

Yeah I'm not buying this weird argument you're trying to make that a doctor will now prioritize some "homeless meth-head" over otherwise worthy lives due to woke leftist policies. There's plenty of real narratives worthy of your indignation, you don't have to invent new ones.
    Yeah, crafting policies based upon white privilege and income inequality and striking a blow against the patriarchy and Western Civilization are just fantasies of mine. Never happens in the real world.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Yeah, crafting policies based upon white privilege and income inequality and striking a blow against the patriarchy and Western Civilization are just fantasies of mine. Never happens in the real world.
    Most doctors will still kill you the old fashioned way—through negligence and/or inattention.
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Look at this asshole arguing for Obamacare death panels!!! Oh wait...

• Options
    Standard Supporter
    GDS said:

What he is saying isn't wrong. But if you allow the medical system to be completely overwhelmed with people ill with the virus that number will be bigger and it won't be just old people who will die.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 14,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    An old person with diabetes is free to self-quarantine. Don't need a death panel.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 42,286
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    GDS said:

Or simply can do math.

It's not gonna be a 2.5% of the entire population death rate. That would be about 7.5 million deaths in the US.

It's going to come in around 5,000'ish. Or less than half of H1N1.

• Options
    HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

Most doctors will still kill you the old fashioned way—through negligence and/or inattention.
    You should probably start suing them for malpractice then. Or is litigation another area of the law in which you are incompetent?

• Options

HHusky said:

SFGbob said:

SFGbob said:

You should probably start suing them for malpractice then. Or is litigation another area of the law in which you are incompetent?

Medical malpractice attorneys do that. I’m happy to refer you to a good one if your doctor recently killed you.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,562
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

GDS said:

Or simply can do math.

It's not gonna be a 2.5% of the entire population death rate. That would be about 7.5 million deaths in the US.

You mean half the number of the perfectly handled H1N1 pandemic? ObaMao knocked H1N1 out of the park!
  • Options
    Sledog said:

GDS said:

Or simply can do math.

You mean half the number of the perfectly handled H1N1 pandemic? ObaMao knocked H1N1 out of the park!
    Less than half, actually.

• Options
    SFGbob said:

GDS said:

What he is saying isn't wrong. But if you allow the medical system to be completely overwhelmed with people ill with the virus that number will be bigger and it won't be just old people who will die.
    Yep. There are already multiple deaths among healthcare workers in the prime of their lives.
  • Options

GDS said:

Or simply can do math.

I’ll take the over.
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

GDS said:

Or simply can do math.

It's not going to be 7.5 mill because we are taking measures to prevent the spread. If we decided the olds weren't worth that cost and just went back to biz as usual probably could be 7.5 mill. If it wasn't for global warming we could just go back to using ice floes.

Overall death rate in closed cases in China is around 4.3%.
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 31,562
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    GDS said:

GDS said:

Or simply can do math.

It's not going to be 7.5 mill because we are taking measures to prevent the spread. If we decided the olds weren't worth that cost and just went back to biz as usual probably could be 7.5 mill. If it wasn't for global warming we could just go back to using ice floes.

Overall death rate in closed cases in China is around 4.3%.
    Are you visiting China soon?

You should the wet markets are delicious!