Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hope, Change and slow economic growth

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited February 2020 in Tug Tavern
"As an economist, I tend to look at Obama through a purely economic lens.

Most modern presidents since WWII achieved fairly similar economic performance…some years better than others, some years worse - but overall performance doesn’t vary as much as many might think, especially when you look at US presidents serving eight year terms…yes, there are all sorts of upticks and downturns, but every recession triggers a recovery, and growth tends to average out to a pretty stable result. Still, as we’ll see, if a president consistently underperforms the average, the compounding effect can be quite dramatic.

Since WWII, the US economy increased by an average of about 3% per year as measured by real GDP growth rate. To me, this is a convenient scorecard to judge a president’s economic performance: Clinton, Reagan and JFK all exceeded this number, while Obama, Bush and Truman were below.

Sadly for Obama, his GDP growth performance is arguably the worst of any US peacetime president since WWII. The data reveal an average growth of about 1.9% over his eight years, although I find this number a bit unfair - his initial year reflected the policies of his predecessor, and his final year reflected the hopes of a people awaiting the next administration. If you average the remaining six years of the Obama presidency, his average real GDP growth was about 1.5%, and that indeed is the lowest performance for any US president since the Great Depression.

Overall GDP growth rate doesn’t reveal the whole story. In a growing nation, GDP will expand a certain amount just because of population growth…add people to the country, and you tend to get more economic activity. Economists therefore sometimes further qualify performance by looking at GDP growth rate per capita - and by this measure, Obama’s performance is truly dismal. In fact, Obama’s first term, at -0.5%, stands as the worst four-year result for any year period since the Great Depression. This means that the Obama economy under his first term didn’t even grow at the rate suggested by population growth. Per-capita GDP growth over Obama’s full eight year term was under 0.5%, and this also stands out as the worst result for any president in the last seventy years.

Of course, Obama’s results aren’t hard to understand - he ran an anti-business administration where high taxes, regulatory overreach and new mandates like Obamacare had a crippling impact on economic growth. As a result, Obama got anemic job growth, and many American companies saw great incentive to move jobs offshore. As has been pointed out, the labor force participation rate dropped to post-depression lows under Obama, and federal handouts such as food stamps skyrocketed.

To give Obama the benefit of the doubt, it’s as though he ran his administration on the premise that his form of social justice was more important than prosperity, and this is exactly the result he achieved.

Now, to bring it back to the real impact on the average American…

Over an eight-year term, a president hitting the average 3% growth would see the American economy grow by about 27%. Yet, Obama’s average of 1.9% means that the US economy only grew by 16% over eight years - about 11% less than the average US president achieved. When you do some math on this, this means that the true “cost” to America of the Obama presidency was about $2 trillion. That’s about $25,000 for every American family.

So that’s how I look at “what Obama did to the country”. Yes, you can critique his policies and talk about the class warfare, erosion of the rule of law, the economic dislocation, his many scandals and so on. But in concrete, practical terms, his administration cost the average US family about $25,000 compared to what we might have expected from a merely average President, and that’s enough for me to be unhappy with his performance."

Written by Valerie Rhea on Quora

Comments

• Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Of course, Obama’s results aren’t hard to understand - he ran an anti-business administration where high taxes, regulatory overreach and new mandates like Obamacare had a crippling impact on economic growth. As a result, Obama got anemic job growth, and many American companies saw great incentive to move jobs offshore. As has been pointed out, the labor force participation rate dropped to post-depression lows under Obama, and federal handouts such as food stamps skyrocketed.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    edited February 2020
    Alexis said:

I'm told that Trump's great economy is only because of Obama

I'm being told that the economy really isn't that great but if it is great, it's because of Obama.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/newt-gingrich-pelosi-economy-donald-trump-democrats-2020
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Call me when Trump achieves a 3% growth rate.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sounds like Americans are feeling pretty good about how it's going. Look for the leftists to go full court press trying to convince people they are actually miserable and are victims.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/02/10/americans-feel-good-economy/?outputType=amp
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,429
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Misleading headlines update.

https://www.ocregister.com/bubble-watch-socal-saw-18632-foreclosure-filings-in-2019

More people than ever not losing their home. Leftists upset
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,183
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2020
    So Presidents control the growth of the economy and less than 3% growth is mediocre. NY Fed says Daddy’s economic growth is under 2% this quarter. Cheers!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

So Presidents control the growth of the economy and under 3% growth is mediocre. NY Fed says Daddy’s economic growth is under 2% this quarter. Cheers!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

So Presidents control the growth of the economy and under 3% growth is mediocre. NY Fed says Daddy’s economic growth is under 2% this quarter. Cheers!

Why so mad that Obama lags the others?

"yes, there are all sorts of upticks and downturns, but every recession triggers a recovery, and growth tends to average out to a pretty stable result"
  • Options
    HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 19,183
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

HHusky said:

"yes, there are all sorts of upticks and downturns, but every recession triggers a recovery, and growth tends to average out to a pretty stable result"
    Your source says Daddy’s performance sucks.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    HHusky said:

HHusky said:

Your source says Daddy’s performance sucks.
    No it doesn't

We can circle back in 2025
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,334
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

HHusky said:

So Presidents control the growth of the economy and less than 3% growth is mediocre. NY Fed says Daddy’s economic growth is under 2% this quarter. Cheers!

". Look for the leftists to go full court press trying to convince people they are actually miserable and are victims."

I know my quote would be proven right. I just didn't think it would happen within a few minutes
    HH is very dependable when it comes to misery and doom and gloom derived from his candidate losing. Compare to a 3rd grader who doesn't behave during his haircut and never gets his dum dum sucker reward.

The Russians are coming HH. The Russians are coming!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,334

Most modern presidents since WWII achieved fairly similar economic performance…some years better than others, some years worse - but overall performance doesn’t vary as much as many might think, especially when you look at US presidents serving eight year terms…yes, there are all sorts of upticks and downturns, but every recession triggers a recovery, and growth tends to average out to a pretty stable result. Still, as we’ll see, if a president consistently underperforms the average, the compounding effect can be quite dramatic.

Since WWII, the US economy increased by an average of about 3% per year as measured by real GDP growth rate. To me, this is a convenient scorecard to judge a president’s economic performance: Clinton, Reagan and JFK all exceeded this number, while Obama, Bush and Truman were below.

Sadly for Obama, his GDP growth performance is arguably the worst of any US peacetime president since WWII. The data reveal an average growth of about 1.9% over his eight years, although I find this number a bit unfair - his initial year reflected the policies of his predecessor, and his final year reflected the hopes of a people awaiting the next administration. If you average the remaining six years of the Obama presidency, his average real GDP growth was about 1.5%, and that indeed is the lowest performance for any US president since the Great Depression.

Overall GDP growth rate doesn’t reveal the whole story. In a growing nation, GDP will expand a certain amount just because of population growth…add people to the country, and you tend to get more economic activity. Economists therefore sometimes further qualify performance by looking at GDP growth rate per capita - and by this measure, Obama’s performance is truly dismal. In fact, Obama’s first term, at -0.5%, stands as the worst four-year result for any year period since the Great Depression. This means that the Obama economy under his first term didn’t even grow at the rate suggested by population growth. Per-capita GDP growth over Obama’s full eight year term was under 0.5%, and this also stands out as the worst result for any president in the last seventy years.

To give Obama the benefit of the doubt, it’s as though he ran his administration on the premise that his form of social justice was more important than prosperity, and this is exactly the result he achieved.

Over an eight-year term, a president hitting the average 3% growth would see the American economy grow by about 27%. Yet, Obama’s average of 1.9% means that the US economy only grew by 16% over eight years - about 11% less than the average US president achieved. When you do some math on this, this means that the true “cost” to America of the Obama presidency was about $2 trillion. That’s about $25,000 for every American family.

So that’s how I look at “what Obama did to the country”. Yes, you can critique his policies and talk about the class warfare, erosion of the rule of law, the economic dislocation, his many scandals and so on. But in concrete, practical terms, his administration cost the average US family about $25,000 compared to what we might have expected from a merely average President, and that’s enough for me to be unhappy with his performance."

When you add the fact that 95% of all new jobs during the BO era were part time or contract, it provides clarity as to how shitty the dumb shit was at helping to make the country grow. He did just the opposite.

https://www.investing.com/news/economy/nearly-95-of-all-job-growth-during-obama-era-part-time,-contract-work-449057

Nearly 95% of all new jobs during Obama era were part-time, or contract

A new study by economists from Harvard and Princeton indicates that 94% of the 10 million new jobs created during the Obama era were temporary positions.

The study shows that the jobs were temporary, contract positions, or part-time "gig" jobs in a variety of fields.

Female workers suffered most heavily in this economy, as work in traditionally feminine fields, like education and medicine, declined during the era.

The research by economists Lawrence Katz of Harvard University and Alan Krueger at Princeton University shows that the proportion of workers throughout the U.S., during the Obama era, who were working in these kinds of temporary jobs, increased from 10.7% of the population to 15.8%.

Krueger, a former chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, was surprised by the finding.

The disappearance of conventional full-time work, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. work, has hit every demographic. “Workers seeking full-time, steady work have lost,” said Krueger.

Under Obama, 1 million fewer workers, overall, are working than before the beginning of the Great Recession.
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,236
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

HHusky said:

". Look for the leftists to go full court press trying to convince people they are actually miserable and are victims."

I know my quote would be proven right. I just didn't think it would happen within a few minutes
    HH is very dependable when it comes to misery and doom and gloom derived from his candidate losing. Compare to a 3rd grader who doesn't behave during his haircut and never gets his dum dum sucker reward.

HH is a complete unfettered useful idiot. A match and a gas can could find no more deserving target.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

HHusky said:

He's actually mocking you for running a victory lap for Trump having the same growth as Obama. But you aren't smart enough to see it. HTH
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,832
    Obama wiped millions of people off the unemployment roles to skew the numbers. People forget that.
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam

When you add the fact that 95% of all new jobs during the BO era were part time or contract, it provides clarity as to how shitty the dumb shit was at helping to make the country grow. He did just the opposite.

https://www.investing.com/news/economy/nearly-95-of-all-job-growth-during-obama-era-part-time,-contract-work-449057

Nearly 95% of all new jobs during Obama era were part-time, or contract

A new study by economists from Harvard and Princeton indicates that 94% of the 10 million new jobs created during the Obama era were temporary positions.

The study shows that the jobs were temporary, contract positions, or part-time "gig" jobs in a variety of fields.

Female workers suffered most heavily in this economy, as work in traditionally feminine fields, like education and medicine, declined during the era.

The research by economists Lawrence Katz of Harvard University and Alan Krueger at Princeton University shows that the proportion of workers throughout the U.S., during the Obama era, who were working in these kinds of temporary jobs, increased from 10.7% of the population to 15.8%.

Krueger, a former chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, was surprised by the finding.

The disappearance of conventional full-time work, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. work, has hit every demographic. “Workers seeking full-time, steady work have lost,” said Krueger.

Under Obama, 1 million fewer workers, overall, are working than before the beginning of the Great Recession.
    Hey now, I just took a contract job and am killing it. Much more so than working for corporate America. Of course I have my medical through my military retirement so it’s easier to take these opportunities.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    To review Obama averaged 1.5 growth during his middle 6 years which gives him the benefit

But Trump somehow sucks

H Huskyfs
  • Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    Average real GDP growth over the last 4 years under Obama 2.36%
    Average real GDP growth over the first 3 years under Trump 2.45%

Average deficit last 4 years under Obama 545 Bill
    Average deficit first 3 years under Trump 845 Bill