Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Aerosmith Walk this Way

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
Is a great song and I loved it in the 70s. They fucked it up with DMC and it jumped the shark. If I’m wrong I’ll shut up but that was a great song that left us far to early IMO.

Comments

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s not really the song’s fault if it becomes cliche an overplayed on FM radio. It’s a great song but there some better ones they did.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Is a great song and I loved it in the 70s. They fucked it up with DMC and it jumped the shark. If I’m wrong I’ll shut up but that was a great song that left us far to early IMO.

Agree and disagree.

At the time, Aerosmith was kind of floundering in their career. And rap hadn't really caught on with the mainstreaam (read: white boys). Mix in MTV and it was a perfect storm for everybody.

Years later, I'd rather listen to Aerosmith standalone Walk This Way and Run DMC by themselves. But at the time, it was a pretty good combo.

Just listened to Dream On a few minutes ago on the drive back to the compound. A superior tune to Walk this Way, imho.

I wasn’t claiming it was their best song by any stretch. Just that they fucked it up in my head.
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,109
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Aerosmith was floundering in the mid 80's. I stuck with them as a kid in the 70's and 80's. And when I bought Permanent Vacation from the Wherehouse at Alderwood Mall, I knew they would be coming back huge and they did. After that, I kinda stopped listening to them. My old boss used to have "Angel" as his ringtone for his wife. (((barf))))
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2020
    El_K said:

Aerosmith was floundering in the mid 80's. I stuck with them as a kid in the 70's and 80's. And when I bought Permanent Vacation from the Wherehouse at Alderwood Mall, I knew they would be coming back huge and they did. After that, I kinda stopped listening to them. My old boss used to have "Angel" as his ringtone for his wife. (((barf))))

Toys in the attic was the first album I bought. I was 10.

I think my favorite song of theirs is No More No More.

Also got a lot of giggles out of big 10 inch record as in 1975.

Uncle Salty freaked me out.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

El_K said:

No More No More is a great fucking cut.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Collaboration with run DMC saved Aerosmith from the rock and roll graveyard and gave them new life.

There were generations that thought "hey, this song I remember, it's kinda catchy ... teaming up with run DMC?! Whoa..."
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,240
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

El_K said:

70's Aerosmith was very good stuff. Agree on No More No More, one of their best songs, IMHO.

No More No More .. excellent track
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-0UKJpzMWs

Mama Kin ... good chit from debut album
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nW8CWnaGg

Sick as a Dog
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD8OT2D_LHQ

Lick and a Promise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU4ua5fyxDw
  • Options
    BendintheriverBendintheriver Member Posts: 5,402
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mama Kin & Sweet Emotion. Love both. Especially the rabbit mention in Sweet Emotion. I remember my mother turning around in the car and looking at me and asking if I knew what that reference was to. I lied and said no. Wasn't up for a lesson about the birds and the bees I just wanted to listen to the song. She turned back around and that was the end of it.
  • Options
    ramenduckramenduck Member Posts: 734
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Agree and disagree.

At the time, Aerosmith was kind of floundering in their career. And rap hadn't really caught on with the mainstreaam (read: white boys). Mix in MTV and it was a perfect storm for everybody.

Years later, I'd rather listen to Aerosmith standalone Walk This Way and Run DMC by themselves. But at the time, it was a pretty good combo.

Just listened to Dream On a few minutes ago on the drive back to the compound. A superior tune to Walk this Way, imho.

Off but also on topic, If you listen to the "Other Side of Sanity" live version of Dream On, Steven Tyler switches back and forth between his 70s and 80s/90s voices during the chorus. It's a fucking mind blower.