Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jimmy Lake: "I'm not a sideways kind of guy"

Comments

• Options
    BonedogBonedog Member Posts: 650
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    So don’t get sideways with Jimmy Big Balls Lake?
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

If you recruit great or draft great your a genius. If not you get fired

True story.
  • Options
    TheBounceLivesTheBounceLives Member Posts: 42
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I liked the wildcat runs you tried against the ducks in 2019. I hope that kind of sneaky trickeration still has a place in the husky offense going forward.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Gladstone said:

Jimmy hired Donovan and is a complete retard until proven otherwise. W/ respect

His fascination with 'NFL' coaches is concerning. While I'm sure he learned a lot from smart people in the NFL, the NFL has also consistently proven to have a lot of dumb fucks.
    Good point. Some coaches in the NFL are the best at what they do. Others not so much. Kind of like any other level.

Coaching is important at any level, but NFL players are mostly self motivated and half of them are barely hanging on and will do anything they can to stay. Most of them can be cut with very little ramifications.
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Let's talk Jet Sweep. I thought that perhaps it was just UW that couldn't run it. Then I noticed an 81% failure rate across the board. Everyone sucks at it. When it does work it looks great and the announcers marvel at it and the defense looks like idiots. When it works. Occasionally

Coaching is guys watching TV like we do and trying what works. If you recruit great or draft great your a genius. If not you get fired

Mike Riley and OSU is only program to run it successfully. Everybody else went backwards
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Did we really run that many bubble screens? Our offense sucked, but I wouldn’t say that was The reason.

Predictable play calling, a lot of third and long plays, and absolutely no ability to handle pressure and have easy to find hour routes off pressure.

I was being figurative and not literal, as was intended by the great poets
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,188
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

I liked the wildcat runs you tried against the ducks in 2019. I hope that kind of sneaky trickeration still has a place in the husky offense going forward.

*Wildcat
  • Options
    dooginthehalldooginthehall Member Posts: 182
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    edited January 2020
    Gladstone said:

The NFL is an incestuous, nepotistic cornucopia of vomit coaches who parrot each other and continually redefine incompetence.

This also applies to NCAA D1 with equal force
  • Options
    EmotermanEmoterman Member Posts: 3,333
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Gladstone said:

The NFL is an incestuous, nepotistic cornucopia of vomit coaches who parrot each other and continually redefine incompetence.

This also applies to NCAA D1 with equal force
    Mostly yes, at least P5. The stakes are almost as high as the NFL, there is little appetite for innovation. The evolution of strategy has to come from lower levels which are not life or death.

Coach K's genius mostly blossoming at UW is a beautiful thing, and the fact he has no head coach desires makes him a bona fide blessing. The top priority for UW over the next decade is keeping him happy.
  • Options
    dooginthehalldooginthehall Member Posts: 182
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Gladstone said:

“Our numbers showed how productive those plays had been for us.”

That was with Gaskin and Newton, Pete. Not with a 4th strong RB named Kamari Pleasant who has poor vision and runs straight up.
    That quote drove me up the fucking wall. The entire point of that was to get your playmakers in space with an extra blocker. Gaskin and Newton. Not the formation in and of itself. Beyond stupid. Bush too.
    Having your 4th best RB run those plays was stupid. As was bringing in Malik Braxton each time and completely telegraphing it every time. If I notice we run that formation with those guys in the stands, I’m sure the Oregon DC noticed too.
    The whole concept is stupid, and it goes to your original point: The offense often fails because plays are predicated on too many things going right. So let's look at the wildcat: You have your unathletic quarterback out there playing split end, so he's not a threat. The corner over him is playing inside leverage and looking inside every time, so he can be in the box in about a second and a half to take away the cutback lane. Otherwise, you've got nine blockers and a ball carrier to take on ten defenders in the box. No problem!

Ignoring talent on my roster, quality of ball carrier, etc., I'm going to think of a play like this: If I have a ball carrier in space against a single defender, I have something like a 50/50 shot of a successful play. If I have a ball carrier and a blocker against two defenders, the odds drop a little, as now I need a successful play by the ball carrier and a successful block. If I have a ball carrier and two blockers against three defenders, the odds decrease even a bit more.

The wildcat is the ultimate fuck-you to this simple math. It's, "Come on, motherfucker, let's go 10-on-10 with you knowing it's coming." Blocks become less critical the further from the point of attack, but a successful wildcat play is still requiring at least a half dozen successful blocks and the back making a correct choice and/or making somebody miss to be successful. It's the "half a dozen successful blocks" part that's the killer. The 3rd down fs wildcat against Oregon didn't fail because Pleasant sucks, it failed because Hunter Bryant blocked about as well as a parking cone would have, and even had he stayed engaged with his man, Pleasant would have still had two unblocked defenders to beat. There was a cutback lane that was good for another two-on-one chance, I guess.

We all want to be smashmouth, but modern football is all about exploiting numbers. Spread to run, play action out of heavy sets (one-on-one coverage on the outside is the equivalent to that dream 50/50 scenario in the running game), simplicity and execution. If John Ross has to beat man coverage in three seconds for a play to be successful, I like my odds. If I need three yards and I can put my running back in space with a single defender, I like my odds. I never want to take on all 11 of their defense, I want to isolate a little group over here or over here and try beating it.
    I’m hard as a fucking diamond right now