Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

2019 a Season of Redemption........How will history remember this year’s 2020 Duck Rose Bowl Win?

DJDuckDJDuck Member Posts: 5,970
5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
edited January 2020 in Duck Refuge
https://fishduck.com/2020/01/how-will-history-remember-this-2020-oregon-rose-bowl-win/

“As a life-long Duck fan, I’ve also asked myself this week, “How does this one rank in satisfaction?” Again, this is where the redemption part comes in.

Of course, it wasn’t just that the Ducks finished 4-8 three years ago. On paper, it may have been a relatively steady climb back: to seven wins in 2017, nine last year (including a Redbox Bowl win). But considering these seniors actually played for three different head coaches in four seasons — Mario Cristobal for two, Willie Taggart and Mark Helfrich for one each — it’s even more impressive to have survived that tumult, especially considering that from 1976-2008, Oregon had only two head coaches.

Yet amidst that journey to redemption, I also suspect that the Ducks found a way to turn a weakness into a strength. Constant coaching turnover has the potential to drag a program down by miring it in quicksand: the program is always changing directions but never moving forward. Key players will often transfer to other schools, as well. However, if those dangers can be avoided, I think there’s a hidden asset in having three different coaches recruiting players to the same squad; it can produce a diverse pool of talent that one coach may never have been able to assemble alone.”

Comments

• Options
    Winning a Rose Bowl and popping off
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    edited January 2020
    The end of that write up or whatever it is dumb as fuck. Yes, the secret to winning a rose bowl is 3 different coaches building the team. Fuck off.

Would just add that I’ve been to all 4 Rose Bowls, 2002 Fiesta and the Natty vs Auburn. Of the 3 Rose Bowel wins this last one is my favorite. It was weird as fuck. I don’t know how they did it. My most hated Duck of all time lived his dream and is basically done with life and can go be a doctor or something now, two local shit heads from Oregon won the MVPs and this was the worst team of the 3 winners by far which makes me love them even more.

Underdogs in both the Pac title game and the Bowl. Won them both. Not exactly what we’re used to around here.

#suddenlyspeshul
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

The end of that write up or whatever it is dumb as fuck. Yes, the secret to winning a rose bowl is 3 different coaches building the team. Fuck off.

Would just add that I’ve been to all 4 Rose Bowls, 2002 Fiesta and the Natty vs Auburn. Of the 3 Rose Bowel wins this last one is my favorite. It was weird as fuck. I don’t know how they did it. My most hated Duck of all time lived his dream and is basically done with life and can go be a doctor or something now, two local shit heads from Oregon won the MVPs and this was the worst team of the 3 winners by far which makes me love them even more.

Underdogs in both the Pac title game and the Bowl. Won them both. Not exactly what we’re used to around here.

#suddenlyspeshul

I'm not sure this year's defense isn't on par with the defenses in the other two Rose Bowl wins. Offensively, agreed this year's team is behind the other two.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited January 2020

#suddenlyspeshul

I'm not sure this year's defense isn't on par with the defenses in the other two Rose Bowl wins. Offensively, agreed this year's team is behind the other two.
    Defense is definitely better—only defense id compare to this years is 2012 (fiesta bowl team). The offense was a joke, though, especially compared to the last 2 rose bowl teams.

Definitely agree with what mike said. Being there in person, I never thought we’d win that game until we got the ball that last time.