Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Is Sirmon the Guy? 240 Days to Michigan

2»

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,420 Founders Club

jecornel said:

Maybe getting an OC before spring ball could help?

Hardcore Husky has thrown down the gauntlet to Jimmy Lake

I don't get it
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

jecornel said:

Maybe getting an OC before spring ball could help?

Hardcore Husky has thrown down the gauntlet to Jimmy Lake

I don't get it
    sad
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,112

ntxduck said:

Did anyone watch wake this year? Newman isn’t that good.

Nobody watches Wake Forest. It’s the idea of him. I did check his stats. It creates competition. I have seen Costello tho and always thought he was pretty good.
    Guys who started for their previous P5 teams are not going to transfer somewhere to be part of the "QB competition" for their last shot at impressing pro scouts. Kirby's not telling this kid "hey, come to Georgia and see if you can beat out the other guys." He's telling him, "we need a qb for one year and we pick you".

We could go this route but have to be sure that Sirmon is not the guy because he'll bolt as soon as that level of transfer comes in.
  • WillyRBeekWillyRBeek Member Posts: 133

ntxduck said:

Nobody watches Wake Forest. It’s the idea of him. I did check his stats. It creates competition. I have seen Costello tho and always thought he was pretty good.
    Guys who started for their previous P5 teams are not going to transfer somewhere to be part of the "QB competition" for their last shot at impressing pro scouts. Kirby's not telling this kid "hey, come to Georgia and see if you can beat out the other guys." He's telling him, "we need a qb for one year and we pick you".

We could go this route but have to be sure that Sirmon is not the guy because he'll bolt as soon as that level of transfer comes in.
    At Georgia there really shouldn't be any competition, unless Mathis has improved by leaps and bounds in his redshirt year. Other than him, I think incoming Freshman Beck is the only other QB they have on a scholarship right now.

So, an honest question about Sirmon: Why is everyone here so low on him? Besides the very little bit of game action we saw from him last year, I haven't really seen or read much about him one way or the other outside of his recruiting profile, which makes him sound very promising.
    I'm just curious if there's something that i've missed that's making so many folks here think he isn't the guy for the job.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,937 Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

At Georgia there really shouldn't be any competition, unless Mathis has improved by leaps and bounds in his redshirt year. Other than him, I think incoming Freshman Beck is the only other QB they have on a scholarship right now.

So, an honest question about Sirmon: Why is everyone here so low on him? Besides the very little bit of game action we saw from him last year, I haven't really seen or read much about him one way or the other outside of his recruiting profile, which makes him sound very promising.
    I'm just curious if there's something that i've missed that's making so many folks here think he isn't the guy for the job.
    A couple of guys here watched him in HS and didn't think he was very good. There havent been many good reports from practice about him. He was behind Haener.

I think hes the guy though. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.
  • WillyRBeekWillyRBeek Member Posts: 133
    chuck said:

ntxduck said:

A couple of guys here watched him in HS and didn't think he was very good. There havent been many good reports from practice about him. He was behind Haener.

I think hes the guy though. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

The reports of him from practice is certainly concerning, although personally I haven't seen any of those, but it would explain a lot. I'm really not too too worried about the fact that he was behind Haener though. For whatever reason, the staff seemed to have a real hard on for Haener. Even though is was blatantly obvious right from the get go last year that Eason was going to be the guy, they still waited until late in the spring to officially name Eason as the starter, which I feel was a major error on their part.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,512 Founders Club
    Good news is now it doesn't matter if Sirmon is ready
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

ntxduck said:

Bring Newman in and if he’s not better than Sirmon he sits. You get Sirmon to stay by saying he has a shot this year and next year when he’s a R-Jr. There could also be the chance that they don’t really give a fuck if Sirmon stays or leaves.
  • NoWarningJustDawgNoWarningJustDawg Member Posts: 1,000

ntxduck said:

Bring Newman in and if he’s not better than Sirmon he sits. You get Sirmon to stay by saying he has a shot this year and next year when he’s a R-Jr. There could also be the chance that they don’t really give a fuck if Sirmon stays or leaves.
    I like the idea of Newman too, but c'mon, what selling point have we got? Established QB guru? Known innovator at OC? Super experienced OL? Amazing RB to take pressure off QB?

In the end, like Moore, all we will do is end up getting Newman more $, just from Georgia, instead of Dallas.

We might get a transfer, but it won't be someone in demand like this. (Hopefully I'm channelling EklundFS and am completely wrong.)
    Cheers--
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

ntxduck said:

I like the idea of Newman too, but c'mon, what selling point have we got? Established QB guru? Known innovator at OC? Super experienced OL? Amazing RB to take pressure off QB?

In the end, like Moore, all we will do is end up getting Newman more $, just from Georgia, instead of Dallas.

We might get a transfer, but it won't be someone in demand like this. (Hopefully I'm channelling EklundFS and am completely wrong.)
    Cheers--
    I don’t expect to get him. Just getting my hopes up that we will have a competent QB. We will get shitty QB play and a shitty offense. No doubt in my mind.