Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Chances for the HOF

creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
will any of my Canes Andre Johnson, Frank Gore, Edge, or Vince Wilfork make the Hall?

Edge is one of the most egregious omissions of our time. He'll get in eventually, but has had to wait too long. The numbers don't lie and even politically careful Peyton Manning has said it's full on retard that he's not in.

Any DAWGS threatening to break in?

Sorry.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2019

Frank Gore yes simply for an amazing career on one knee.

Wilfork will be one of thousands of Patriots to get in

Johnson played in Houston so as we like to say, no.

Edge should. You need some Colts from that era

Looks like 3 out of 4

Any DAWGS are 10-20 years out. No Husky from this century has yet to be a star. Its the kids like Buddah that have the shot

Good take. If I were a voter, I'd flip Johnson and Wilfork around. Wilfork was as good at keeping an O line from getting push as they came, and for a big man with that primary job had a decent number of sacks and TFL, but I'm not sure I'd commission a bronze bust for someone who did that job. Jim Burt was good at it too and nobody ever mentioned him for HOF consideration.

The term physical freak is way over-used, but Johnson fits that bill. 6'3" and over 200 bills with mid-10s 100 meter speed, he was Randy Moss-level physically gifted and a little stronger. He always played on limited teams and so his numbers are somewhat affected by that, just as Reggie Waynes (who I forgot to mention) and Marvin Harrison's are a little fat by virute of where they played.

Johnson was a fucking beast of a receiver. Probably right in that he doesn't get it, in part because there's a slew of great ones and in part because, as you point out, his post-season career body of work is limited.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I wonder if Lincoln Kennedy will make it. I think Gogan has next to no chance, but think he was recently nominated.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Looks like 3 out of 4

Any DAWGS are 10-20 years out. No Husky from this century has yet to be a star. Its the kids like Buddah that have the shot

Good take. If I were a voter, I'd flip Johnson and Wilfork around. Wilfork was as good at keeping an O line from getting push as they came, and for a big man with that primary job had a decent number of sacks and TFL, but I'm not sure I'd commission a bronze bust for someone who did that job. Jim Burt was good at it too and nobody ever mentioned him for HOF consideration.

The term physical freak is way over-used, but Johnson fits that bill. 6'3" and over 200 bills with mid-10s 100 meter speed, he was Randy Moss-level physically gifted and a little stronger. He always played on limited teams and so his numbers are somewhat affected by that, just as Reggie Waynes (who I forgot to mention) and Marvin Harrison's are a little fat by virute of where they played.

Johnson was a fucking beast of a receiver. Probably right in that he doesn't get it, in part because there's a slew of great ones and in part because, as you point out, his post-season career body of work is limited.
    Players like Wilfork are overrated because there are a lot of 330 pound guys that can occupy blockers. He will get in tho. He had a long career, made pro bowls, and Lombardi’s.

Andre Johnson was great but played for mostly bad teams. I doubt he gets in.

Gore will get in. It’s pretty cool that he’s still a serviceable RB this late in his career.

Edgerrin James was a good RB but those guys are tough because most have short careers. Edge did not, but he wasn’t that great after his time with the Colts. He was fairly consistent but not a home run hitter. Kind of a poor man’s Lunch. Lynch’s best years were better and for better teams.
  • Options
    Edge was a home run hittter, especially before his knee injury. He was a self-less teammate and a nightmare to defend because he was as lethal in the passing game as he was a runner. I lifted this off of another site, but consider that the HOF is often a numbers game. Here's the numbers case for Edge:

4: Players who have rushed for 1,500 yards at least four times in a career. We’re taking about three first-ballot Hall of Famers – Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Eric Dickerson – and James.

7: Players with 2,000 total yards from scrimmage at least three times, including James. The only players with four are first-ballot guys: Marshall Faulk, Erick Dickerson and Walter Payton.

3: Players who have led the NFL is rushing in each of their first two seasons. That would be Eric Dickerson and Earl Campbell, first-ballot inductees, and James.

7, again: Players who have won back-to-back rushing titles since the 1970 merger. It’s James and six first-ballot Hall of Famers.

4, again: Players to rank among the top-13 in career rushing yards and playoff rushing yards. It’s James, Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett and Thurman Thomas. Smith and Dorsett were first-ballot inductees. Thomas went in in year 2.

82.7: That’s James’ per-game rushing average over his 11-year, 148-game career. That’s a better per-game clip than Emmitt Smith, LaDainian Tomlinson, Earl Campbell, Tony Dorsett, Jerome Bettis, Marshall Faulk, Thurman Thomas, Franco Harris and several other Hall of Fame backs.

12,246: James’ career rushing yards, 13th in NFL history. Ten of the 12 ahead of him are in the Hall of Fame. The outliers are Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson, both still active.

15,610: James’ career total yards from scrimmage, 15th all-time. Eleven of the 14 ahead of him are in Canton. The other three: Gore, Larry Fitzgerald and Tiki Barber.

2000s: James and LaDainian Tomlinson are the first-team running backs on the NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 2000s.

No idea how Lynch's numbers fit into all that - I doubt they're as good - but overall I think you'd be hard pressed to find a coach from that era who would agree that Lynch was the weapon James was. All that, and he was considered one of the best pass blocking backs in the business. A complete player.

He deserves to be in over any Hurricane under consideration, including Gore. Gore has had a nice career, but he's never been the head ache for D coordinators that Edge was.
  • Options

Looks like 3 out of 4

Players like Wilfork are overrated because there are a lot of 330 pound guys that can occupy blockers. He will get in tho. He had a long career, made pro bowls, and Lombardi’s.

Andre Johnson was great but played for mostly bad teams. I doubt he gets in.

Gore will get in. It’s pretty cool that he’s still a serviceable RB this late in his career.

Edgerrin James was a good RB but those guys are tough because most have short careers. Edge did not, but he wasn’t that great after his time with the Colts. He was fairly consistent but not a home run hitter. Kind of a poor man’s Lunch. Lynch’s best years were better and for better teams.
    If that were true, everyone would have one; because when you do have one, you free up your other down linemen to make plays. 330 lb. guys who are quick, can move and have good feet and balance do not, in fact, grow on trees. A former Husky once told me when we were discussing Dennis Brown that the world is full of huge and strong men whose common weakness is that they are slow and easy to knock off balance. Dennis Brown did not cut the image of an athletic man on campus in his brown velvet track suit that he seemed to wear every day, but he was not slow and he was not easy to knock off balance.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    The thing with Wilfork is the Patriots have Brady and Belichick as future HOFers, plus Gronk!, but I’m not sure who else. And those teams are the greatest modern NFL dynasty.

Someone else from those teams will get in. The Gibbs era Redskins only had Riggins and Green (as an assumed future member) for years, but eventually Art Monk and Russ Grimm got in, because great teams have great players on them.

I’m assuming Wilfork will get similar treatment and make it eventually. The Patriots had to have other great players besides the QB.
  • Options
    jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,574
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    I loved watching edge in college and NFL. The dude was unstoppable at times. He could take over a game and catch the ball.

https://youtu.be/s-5MoyVNXwQ
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    The problem with James is he only averaged 4.0 yards per carry. He was terrible after he left Indy. The only backs on that list who had such low ypc are Bus (who is massively overrated and shouldn't be in) and Martin (who beats James by 2000 yards and 10 TDs).

James will probably get in eventually but he's not a shoe in.

Gore will get in by sheer force of numbers (ala Bettis), but he truly deserves it. Over 19,000 career yards from scrimmage, a 4.3 career ypc despite playing into his late 30's, 97 career TDs...it's an impeccable resume.

I would vote for Andre Johnson. Dude's 11th on the all time receiving list and who is the best QB he played with...Matt Schaub? There's a dude who truly transcended in a bad situation.

Literally everyone above him played with at least one and often multiple far better QB's than Johnson. The same can be said for everyone behind him on the list until you get to Steve Largent...and Dave Krieg was probably significantly better than Schaub.

Johnson probably had one of the most underrated careers of all time. He was a monster.
  • Options
    HuskiesADWHuskiesADW Member Posts: 141
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    whlinder said:

The thing with Wilfork is the Patriots have Brady and Belichick as future HOFers, plus Gronk!, but I’m not sure who else. And those teams are the greatest modern NFL dynasty.

Someone else from those teams will get in. The Gibbs era Redskins only had Riggins and Green (as an assumed future member) for years, but eventually Art Monk and Russ Grimm got in, because great teams have great players on them.

I’m assuming Wilfork will get similar treatment and make it eventually. The Patriots had to have other great players besides the QB.

Ty Law already made it. I think Seymour (7x pro bowl, 3x all pro and three super bowls), Mankins (8x pro bowl and 1x all pro) and Wilfork (5x pro bowl and 1x all pro) will make it. Vinetari will also make it even though he was never that good of a kicker but he made them when they counted. I think Devin McCourty and Harrison also have a shot.

Other players like Revis, Moss, etc., will make it but they both will be remembered for playing for the Jets/Vikings.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    After I poasted I remembered Ty Law. Agree Seymour makes it. Mankins I didn’t realize had so many pro bowls; he’ll get in. Wilfork and Harrison both probably make it.

Belichick, Brady, Gronk, Law, Seymour, Mankins, Wilfork, Harrison is an appropriate representation of the core Patriot teams.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    dnc said:

The problem with James is he only averaged 4.0 yards per carry. He was terrible after he left Indy. The only backs on that list who had such low ypc are Bus (who is massively overrated and shouldn't be in) and Martin (who beats James by 2000 yards and 10 TDs).

James will probably get in eventually but he's not a shoe in.

Gore will get in by sheer force of numbers (ala Bettis), but he truly deserves it. Over 19,000 career yards from scrimmage, a 4.3 career ypc despite playing into his late 30's, 97 career TDs...it's an impeccable resume.

I would vote for Andre Johnson. Dude's 11th on the all time receiving list and who is the best QB he played with...Matt Schaub? There's a dude who truly transcended in a bad situation.

Literally everyone above him played with at least one and often multiple far better QB's than Johnson. The same can be said for everyone behind him on the list until you get to Steve Largent...and Dave Krieg was probably significantly better than Schaub.

Johnson probably had one of the most underrated careers of all time. He was a monster.

Interesting takes. One thing I think is for sure is that they're not inducting James, Gore, Wilfork, Johnson and Wayne. I don't know if there's an unwritten rule about too many players from one school in a short amount of time, but if any program will inspire it it's Miami, which based on very old history is still a polarizing program.

I see Johnson the way you did. A receiver that big and strong and fast is not an every day thing, and he was so durable. I think James post-knee, and certain post-Indy, tarnished his career a bit, particularly the latter. I remember his stint in Arizona, and he just had no where to go and didn't have the jets to get there even if he did. His first two, three or so years in the league he was the shit. The thing that's really admirable about his run is how much career he squeezed out after a big knee injury. Before that ACL, he was absolutely a home run threat out of the backfield. Still found a way back, but no question lost some burst.

Wilfork will have his work cut out because the committee is never easy on D linemen, for reasons I don't understand given how important they are. He will have the good team card, which is key because IMO Cortez Kennedy was a much more special talent and had to try a few times before getting in.

They'll probably settle with Harrison and not induct Wayne, but his numbers are pretty solid too.
  • Options
    dtddtd Member Posts: 4,043
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I like Edge more than Gore. Guys who are merely in the conversation for being durable don't deserve it. HoF used to mean "dominant at your position in your era". Was Gore a top back more than 1 year in his entire professional career? Give Frank a lifetim achievement award. Andre Johnson was dominant.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Gore and Fork yes. Edge and Andre no.

THIS
  • Options

Gore and Fork yes. Edge and Andre no.

I agree that's what will happen. But Edge should get in b4 Wilfork, and that's not a close call IMO.
  • Options
    dtd said:

I like Edge more than Gore. Guys who are merely in the conversation for being durable don't deserve it. HoF used to mean "dominant at your position in your era". Was Gore a top back more than 1 year in his entire professional career? Give Frank a lifetim achievement award. Andre Johnson was dominant.

He's a little more than durable. I agree he's never been an electric and physically dominant back in the Adrian Petersen/Eric Dickerson/Jim Brown/Barry Sanders sense of that description. But he also rushed for a shit ton of yards during a career that was spent 95% on shit teams that didn't have passing attacks to keep defenses honest.

Gore has incredible vision and balance to go with being tough. Those numbers don't happen for merely good backs, even if they play for a long time. "Good" backs who are lucky enough to play for a long time wind up on special teams and as back ups after they've passed their prime.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gore was a very good RB for a long time. He’s a Hall of Famer.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
  • Options
    dnc said:

Edge gets in

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to tell the Ducks.

And Roadie!!!!!!!!!!!!!