Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

College Football Playoff expansion won’t help the Pac-12 like Larry Scott believes

Comments

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,997 Founders Club
  • SECDAWGSECDAWG Member Posts: 5,004
    edited December 2019
    whuggy said:

I guess I'm just too stupid to understand the argument against an 8 team playoff. The argument is that if you have 8 teams then the regular season doesn't matter. For example a 3 loss conference champion could get in. Now I'm someone who wants to see quality regular season games rather than watching UW slaughter North Dakota or San Jose St. Let's take the argument to the extreme. Let's say Washington's 3 losses in the regular season were to Alabama,
    Notre Dame and Ohio State all by 1 point and then they swept their conference. Their record is 9-3 and they are conference champs. Why would they not deserve to be in the playoff even with 3 losses? They have certainly demonstrated competiveness against quality competition. Keeping it at 4 eliminates the possibility of me seeing Bama, ND and OSU during the regular season because a loss or two to those teams even in close games eliminates me from the 4 team playoff. An 8 team playoff gets me another deserved crack at the top teams and provided me a quality schedule during the season. I simply don't get the resistance to the larger playoff. And just a qualifier. I have zero interest in extending past 8 or the weak argument that you then have a tough discussion about teams 6-8. Win and you're in.

No, no your not stupid whugs.

Your scenario with UW(in your example) playing that high of level teams during regular season is not likely however win the conference, no matter if lose 3, and “you’re in” is spot on.

I’ve said previous, 6 team playoff, all Power 5 champions(not likely will be a 3 loss conf champ but could happen) and at large. But I’d be ok, as some here that are for the playoffs, with 8 team...all Power 5 conference champions and 3 at large, wildcards if you will. Watered down too much after that IMO.

It will give fans hope of the power 5, win The conference and your in. Plus 3 at large. Acclaimed national champs UCF would of got their shot a few years ago in this scenario. A PAC 12 team would be in now, Oregon. Whose to say they are not considerably better than that loss against Auburn game 1 and a slip up against ASU.

I’d still go 6, all Power 5 and 1 at large(highly unlikely a conf champ loses more than 2) and 1 at large but good with the 8 team CFP scenario, me. Win the conf, will have a team represented and may be you.

I’m a prove it on the field guy. Not vote or shared NC guy. I understand there’s differing opinions. Cool.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,695 Founders Club