Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

UW's National Championship chances just increased

Scared money don't make money.

I fucking love Pete. Best coach of my lifetime at UW and there isn't a close second. He built an incredible foundation and the positives FAR outweigh the well documented negatives.

Pete was not without blind spots. He is loyal to a fault, to his people and to his process. He's very by the book. He's as stoic as stoic gets. Those issues have been discussed ad nauseum for years, and especially so in the last couple months. We all hoped he would change, and he might have, but successful coaches are authentically themselves. Pete being a rah-rah, win at all costs guy was never going to happen, and it would've been awkward as hell if he tried.

Jimmy shines light on the blind spots. Jimmy has fun. Jimmy talks shit. Jimmy is young and hungry. Jimmy isn't tied to his coaching tree or former players. Jimmy can go hire the best guys for the job because they're the best guys, no strings attached. Jimmy has a fucking wagon of a roster to start with.

Do you bet on the old dog learning new tricks? Or the young dog claiming the throne?

HC hires are always risky no matter what. Coordinator promotion, 'proven winner,' NFL guy, whatever. There are no sure things, and there's a decent chance Jimmy fails.

Sticking with the "safe bet" is risky too. The only thing worse than bad is perennially mediocre. And apathetic. We were teetering on that edge. It would've been very easy for Pete to coast and thank fucking God he didn't. This is one of the most self aware moves I've ever seen a coach make.

We would never win a National Championship with a burnt out Pete coasting through 7-9 win seasons. There's a chance we get worse, but there's a chance we get a lot fucking better. I'll bet on Jimmy using the opportunity to springboard himself and the program to the top. Blend the foundation with a new fire and shot of life.

Go Dwags.

Comments

• biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,091
    Dooginyoungbrother.gif

*swoon*
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    edited December 2019
    Two best coaches of the modern era for Washington both quit. Who would have thought?
    Team Jimmy baby! Get some.
    Bring the juice... I will never forget Rick Neuheisel pulling out the gold helmet at halftime of a basketball game. The crowd went into pandemonium.
    Jimmy can do the same...
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 15,453 Swaye's Wigwam

Another year of all this talent on the roster being fucked away by a loss to Cal would have really burned a hole in my stomach. At least we will be taking a shot.

I'd rather it end this way than having to @FirePete in 2020 or 21 if he was incapable of change.

Lake is an unproven commodity so I'm going in with reasonable expectations in year 1. But there's always been much to like- e.g., he fucks in recruiting, puts his guys in the NFL, defensive background (i.e., no more QB coaches), and doesn't seem like to total fuckwit.
    Had not thought of this angle. Hopefully no more little man syndrome either. As a DB coach maybe we will see a real commitment to the run. A doog can dream.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,768 Founders Club

I think an off season natty is definitely happening

Especially if Jimmy gets rid of this whole OKG bullshit. Right, Damone?
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

I was thinking the same thing! What does the crew here think?
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,768 Founders Club

I'm surprised you haven't posted about it yet.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

I'm surprised you haven't posted about it yet.
    Meh. Probably no one cares
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

For sure. We’ll get a highly rated juco recruit or a guy that we wouldn’t take under Pete and many will eat it up as the best thing ever.