Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• The war against Christmas!!!11!1
  • PRedoubtPRedoubt Member Posts: 141
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Photogenic

The war against Christmas!!!11!1

I suppose you're Anti-Dentite too?

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,717
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Christmas has almost nothing to do with Christianity. Both sides are pretty fucked up over this
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Don't support christmas tree murder.
  • ACLU vs Allegheny County pretty much answers the religious displays at public buildings question.

Supreme Court case superiority guy.
    edited December 2013

ACLU vs Allegheny County pretty much answers the religious displays at public buildings question.

From a guy who attacks little girls with Festivus Poles? Consider yourself added to my list of grievances.

BTW, your citation form is wrong. The case is County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, Greater Pittsburgh Chapter, 492 U.S. 573, (1989). Holding, "[a] creche display has that unconstitutional effect, but [we] reverse the Court of Appeals' judgment regarding the menorah display".

Considering that it was a 5-4 decision from 1989, with Kennedy writing for the dissent, I wouldn't push it. It would very likely be overturned if a similar case came up for certiorari. The discussion of "Merry Christmas" is clearly dicta, having no legal weight.

HTH

• PRedoubt said:

ACLU vs Allegheny County pretty much answers the religious displays at public buildings question.

From a guy who attacks little girls with Festivus Poles? Consider yourself added to my list of grievances.

BTW, your citation form is wrong. The case is County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, Greater Pittsburgh Chapter, 492 U.S. 573, (1989). Holding that, "[a] creche display has that unconstitutional effect, but [we] reverse the Court of Appeals' judgment regarding the menorah display".

Considering that it was a 5-4 decision from 1989, with Kennedy writing for the dissent, I wouldn't push it. It would very likely be overturned if a similar case came up for certiorari.

Seriously? Citation form superiority guy? I posted from my fone and couldn't remember which party brought the case to the court.

That's some first rate faggotry.

PRedoubt said:

BTW, your citation form is wrong. The case is County of Allegheny v. American Civil Liberties Union, Greater Pittsburgh Chapter, 492 U.S. 573, (1989). Holding that, "[a] creche display has that unconstitutional effect, but [we] reverse the Court of Appeals' judgment regarding the menorah display".

Considering that it was a 5-4 decision from 1989, with Kennedy writing for the dissent, I wouldn't push it. It would very likely be overturned if a similar case came up for certiorari.

Seriously? Citation form superiority guy? I posted from my fone and couldn't remember which party brought the case to the court.

Just trying to be helpful. You also didn't use italics; you used vs. instead of v.; and you didn't cite the case number. Any Judge in America would crucify you for any of those. Plus, most attorney's wouldn't bet the ranch on this decision since the Court is now swung in favor of overturning it.

BTW, these discussions are also, NOT the type of thing that the readers here are interested in. I think you should stop asking for legal opinions that you don't intend to pay for.

HTH. Merry Christmas.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    PRedoubt said:

PRedoubt said:

Just trying to be helpful. You also didn't use italics; you used vs. instead of v.; and you didn't cite the case number. Any Judge in America would crucify you for any of those. Plus, most attorney's wouldn't bet the ranch on this decision since the Court is now swung in favor of overturning it.

BTW, these discussions are also, NOT the type of thing that the readers here are interested in. I think you should stop asking for legal opinions that you don't intend to pay for.

HTH. Merry Christmas.
    mods?

• You do realize this is a Husky Football forum, right? No one gives a fuck about citing proper legal form.

My original point was I agree with the opinion of the concurrence. Not speculation about whether today's court would uphold it.

HTH. Merry Xmas (I like to call it Xmas)

My original point was I agree with the opinion of the concurrence. Not speculation about whether today's court would uphold it.

... and what exactly does your agreement with not allowing nativity scenes in Pittsburgh have to do with Husky Football, or Festivus Poles in Madison, Wisconsin, or anything else for that matter? You really need to pull your head out of your ass.

mods?
  • PRedoubt said:

... and what exactly does your agreement with not allowing nativity scenes in Pittsburgh have to do with Husky Football, or Festivus Poles in Madison, Wisconsin, or anything else for that matter? You really need to pull your head out of your ass.

mods?
    If you read the article you'd see the line "tourists who venture one floor up will encounter a panoply of beliefs - from those who embrace Christianity to those who prefer a fictional holiday created by "Seinfeld," and those who shun religion altogether."

The second part of the Allegheny v ACLU decision is summarized as "A different majority held that the menorah display did not have the prohibited effect of endorsing religion, given its "particular physical setting". Its combined display with a Christmas tree and a sign saluting liberty did not impermissibly endorse both the Christian and Jewish faiths, but simply recognized that both Christmas and Hanukkah are part of the same winter-holiday season, which, the court found, has attained a secular status in U.S. society."

So my point is: what's the problem with the festivus pole?

I assumed you were mocking in it in the OP.

Try to keep up.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Shit. Unleashed. Belongs.

PRedoubt said:

mods?

SHEESE! ENOUGH! I celebrate Festivus. Maybe you never heard the old saying about ass-u-ming? Try to keep up. The only person I was mocking was you.
    PRedoubt said:

PRedoubt said:

mods?

SHEESE! ENOUGH! I celebrate Festivus. Maybe you never heard the old saying about ass-u-ming? Try to keep up. The only person I was mocking was you.
    Show some respect for FESTIVUS, dammit, and save it for the airing of grievances for once in your life.

edited December 2013
    dnc said:

PRedoubt said:

PRedoubt said:

mods?

Show some respect for FESTIVUS, dammit, and save it for the airing of grievances for once in your life.

December 23rd can't come soon enough. I heard Chipocrit is showing up for Feats feets of Strength?
    PRedoubt said:

dnc said:

PRedoubt said:

PRedoubt said:

mods?

December 23rd can't come soon enough. I heard Chipocrit is showing up for Feats of Strength?
    Chipocrit rides the festivus pole.

hth

edited December 2013

Walter's take on "Happy Holidays." Warning: starts with a commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCDlqyCJLh4

Walter doesn't have hair plugs.

• Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,075
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Wow, this thread turned out better than I ever imagined it would based on the original topic.