Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Tequilla Thoughts: 2019 Season Review - Offensive Summary

2»

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

I think it was @RoadDawg55 who was calling out Pete's offense and overall record his last 2-3 years at Boise. Whoever it was deserves 20 Sven bucks for pointing that out.

I think you're right. I wanted to disagree with him at the time but couldn't.

What I remember about Sark's team beating Boise is that BSU came out running the ball really well, but drives stalled on weak ass, low risk but low chance of success pass plays. Eventually it seemed like that's all their offense consisted of and they never even came close to getting in a rhythm or establishing something that threatened our (pretty shitty) defense. It was amazingly reminiscent of the flat games UW'S offense has had a few times each season since 2017.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2019

I think it was @RoadDawg55 who was calling out Pete's offense and overall record his last 2-3 years at Boise. Whoever it was deserves 20 Sven bucks for pointing that out.

I used to defend Cyler Miles by pointing out that Pete’s offenses had been shit for awhile. He scored 6 points vs UW in 2013 and that defense wasn’t any better than above average.

Cyler sucked but I thought it went deeper and I was right. We ran the worst two min, unorganized offense I had ever seen that year. We still are often confused.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,861
    Explosive plays naturally come when you have an offense that is moving the chains and making the D react.

Then you put it in explosive players hands.

Peterman has no explosive players.
    And can't move the chains.

Explosive plays naturally come when you have an offense that is moving the chains and making the D react.

You were pretty OK here aside from that statement. Weak, cuogish flame and not true.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    chuck said:

You were pretty OK here aside from that statement. Weak, cuogish flame and not true.
    It’s more true than not ... particularly in the passing game
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam
    2019 offense executive summary:

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

whuggy said:

I’m not going to even mention Bush anymore. This is Peterman. No more blaming the OC. We did the same with Smith. The one constant of these shitty offenses is Pete.

Think this is spot on. Most Oregon fans hate their OC and think he is a weak spot on that staff. Yet they have no trouble scoring because they execute the hell out of the playcall. Every play is designed to be a touchdown if executed correctly. The blame goes on the coaches and they are an extension of Pete so the buck stops at the top. Canning Hamdan is ignoring the problem.
    No, I still think Bush should be canned. Give the next guy full control. Pete needs to stay the fuck out of the offense.

It’s time for him to be aware and make the change. He’s a smart guy and I know it has to suck for him to admit he’s a huge part of the problem, but the facts are there. Every year we are talking about a bad or underachieving offense.
    I agree.

The data points that proof this are simple. Bush and Smith are/were both subordinate to Pete in every way you can imagine - postion on the org chart, in terms of age and experience, and through his coaching tree. Those kinds of guys are inherently going to fall into some kind of subservient emotional role as sycophants or cronies, to some degree anyway.

When we had a "consultant" (LOL) in Tedford, there was nothing about Tedford's age/experience/personality (not to mention his disconnection from Pete's history) that suggested Tedford was doing anything except "here's the strategy for today's game / here's the play to call now... and if you don't do it then good luck and see ya."

Now...when was the only time our offense was dominating and intimidating?

Tequilla said:

chuck said:

It’s more true than not ... particularly in the passing game
    We've seen plenty of UW teams that havent generated explosive plays as often as this one. At a minimum you have to consider Salvon and Bryant to be explosive, not to mention the 6'6" quarterback who can throw 60 yard ropes.

Big plays, and players who can make them, are far down the lost of problems. To many failed plays, getting behind the chains, and inability to move the chains on third down are the issue. Making routine plays and moving the ball are the issue.

Hell even our two least favorite offensive players, Fuller and Baccellia, are explosive guys who can and have hit on some big plays.
    edited November 2019
    The SR WRs don’t really create separation on their own

The play calling is too predictable and we don’t do a good job of having a plan of how we are trying to set something up for later
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Meek said:

whuggy said:

I’m not going to even mention Bush anymore. This is Peterman. No more blaming the OC. We did the same with Smith. The one constant of these shitty offenses is Pete.

Think this is spot on. Most Oregon fans hate their OC and think he is a weak spot on that staff. Yet they have no trouble scoring because they execute the hell out of the playcall. Every play is designed to be a touchdown if executed correctly. The blame goes on the coaches and they are an extension of Pete so the buck stops at the top. Canning Hamdan is ignoring the problem.
    No, I still think Bush should be canned. Give the next guy full control. Pete needs to stay the fuck out of the offense.

It’s time for him to be aware and make the change. He’s a smart guy and I know it has to suck for him to admit he’s a huge part of the problem, but the facts are there. Every year we are talking about a bad or underachieving offense.
    I agree.

The data points that proof this are simple. Bush and Smith are/were both subordinate to Pete in every way you can imagine - postion on the org chart, in terms of age and experience, and through his coaching tree. Those kinds of guys are inherently going to fall into some kind of subservient emotional role as sycophants or cronies, to some degree anyway.

When we had a "consultant" (LOL) in Tedford, there was nothing about Tedford's age/experience/personality (not to mention his disconnection from Pete's history) that suggested Tedford was doing anything except "here's the strategy for today's game / here's the play to call now... and if you don't do it then good luck and see ya."

I never bought into Tedford being some kind of savior. I think he helped, but I think it was more of the stars aligning. The OL was much improved, Browning was at his best, and he had two stars at WR and 3 NFL TE’s.

Meek said:

whuggy said:

I agree.

I never bought into Tedford being some kind of savior. I think he helped, but I think it was more of the stars aligning. The OL was much improved, Browning was at his best, and he had two stars at WR and 3 NFL TE’s.
    I 100% agree with this ... add in that there were some truly shitty defenses in the P12 in 2016

The middle and upper bottom of the conference is much better right now