Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hop vs. Petersen

Both coaches preach essentially the same message but the way they conduct themselves is yin and yang. Pete hates talking to the media while Hop relishes it. Pete takes things very SERIOUSLY while Hop appears to be infusing his program with fun every chance he gets.

I know that we don't see everything that goes on inside each program so the reality is probably not as extreme as I'm painting it out to be but there is definitely a considerable difference between the two programs even though, at their core, they both preach discipline, hard work and excellence on and off the court/field.

To me, it definitely feels like Hop's teams are more resilient and appear to be having more fun. It will be interesting to watch both programs over the coming years to see how/if the same message delivered in two different ways generates different outcomes.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    You gotta be who you are, but Hop takes things just as seriously as Pete. Just because he has fun doesn’t mean he doesn’t hold his players to high standards. I know everyone knows this, but still.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,048
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I remember people decrying Rick for playing the guitar and taking the team river rafting
  • Options
    CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

I remember people decrying Rick for playing the guitar and taking the team river rafting

Gary Barnett and I just had a big belly laugh!!!
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited November 2019

I'll wait until Hop goes 12-17 in year 6

You might get that next year. Basketball isn’t like football tho. A team can be built in 1-2 years. I guess in football it can too, but it’s less likely.
    Hop took the same roster - 1st overall pick and doubled the wins with the same personale. So took a year I guess, one year
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I think in general football needs to be a little more serious due to the limited amount of games. Basketball needs to be a little more fluid so team doesn't burn out.

my 2 cents.

"How come it's a penny for your thoughts, but you have to put your two cents in?" - George Carlin.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,122
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited November 2019
    Do we think Hop is REALLY stressing off-the-court/academic standards for McDaniels and Stewart? They're gone in 5 months. Also it's something like coaching 15 guys vs. 105 guys. I think comparing coaching bball and football is kinda apples and oranges. The "fun" crap I see is such a overrated talking point. On the field, players have fun when they're playing well and players don't have fun when they're not playing well. It's the same for everybody. Off the field, we really have no idea what's going on. I know they play ping pong and eat food but that's about it. From everything I've seen or heard, ex-players LOVE Coach Pete, so what does that tell you? This off-season sure has started early.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,122
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited November 2019

Do we think Hop is REALLY stressing off-the-court/academic standards for McDaniels and Stewart? They're gone in 5 months. Also it's something like coaching 15 guys vs. 105 guys. I think comparing coaching bball and football is kinda apples and oranges. The "fun" crap I see is such a overrated talking point. On the field, players have fun when they're playing well and players don't have fun when they're not playing well. It's the same for everybody. Off the field, we really have no idea what's going on. I know they play ping pong and eat food but that's about it. From everything I've seen or heard, ex-players LOVE Coach Pete, so what does that tell you? This off-season sure has started early.

The fun shit is stupid. It’s like thinking our players have no emotion. They do when they are doing well. Brock Huard was talking about Eason having no fun. Of course he has no fun when he’s playing like shit. He threw a TD in the first half to Chin and was really fired up.
    I play lots of team sports. When we're losing and my team is playing with feces running down our legs, I'm not having fun. I'm pissed. When we're winning and we're crawling inside assholes and spray painting our names on the walls, I'm having a fucking grand ol' time. It's not a hard concept to understand if you've ever played sports. This fun nonsense is absolutely making something out of nothing, and is likely written by somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds. That includes Fetters.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,545
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

The fun shit is stupid. It’s like thinking our players have no emotion. They do when they are doing well. Brock Huard was talking about Eason having no fun. Of course he has no fun when he’s playing like shit. He threw a TD in the first half to Chin and was really fired up.
    I play lots of team sports. When we're losing and my team is playing with feces running down our legs, I'm not having fun. I'm pissed. When we're winning and we're crawling inside assholes and spray painting our names on the walls, I'm having a fucking grand ol' time. It's not a hard concept to understand if you've ever played sports. This fun nonsense is absolutely making something out of nothing, and is likely written by somebody sitting on their bed that weighs 400 pounds. That includes Fetters.
    if it includes Fatters take the weight up to 892