Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

More tariff wisdom

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
“A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.”
― Milton Friedman, Free to Choose: A Personal Statement

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I hate it when I never denounce what trump is doing
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,990
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Standard Supporter
    Again, what about chicom IP theft? When you keep ignoring a subject it probably means something. Plus if the chicoms want to phu*ck over their citizens, I don't really care. When they want to phu*ck over our citizens I do. Sole sourcing a massive amount of critical supplies to the chicoms also seems at best stupid.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Again, what about chicom IP theft? When you keep ignoring a subject it probably means something. Plus if the chicoms want to phu*ck over their citizens, I don't really care. When they want to phu*ck over our citizens I do. Sole sourcing a massive amount of critical supplies to the chicoms also seems at best stupid.

Trump ignore it when it comes to tariffs.

Trump is fucking us over. As Friedman points out.

IP isn’t free market anyway. It’s a government construct that stifles competition.
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Friedman has an under

IP isn’t free market anyway. It’s a government construct that stifles competition.
    If cracking down on IP theft was the goal than there are alternatives that would have caused less collateral damage than blanket tariffs. IP theft is the only argument that the tariff supporters have left because the trade imbalance and manufacturing sector have not improved.
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    RedRocket said:

If cracking down on IP theft was the goal than there are alternatives that would have caused less collateral damage than blanket tariffs. IP theft is the only argument that the tariff supporters have left because the trade imbalance and manufacturing sector have not improved.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    edited November 2019
    Recommend following a guy named Christopher Balding for another viewpoint on the US-China ongoing whateveritis...he's based over there and has an interesting viewpoint you won't read many other places:

https://www.baldingsworld.com/
    https://twitter.com/BaldingsWorld
    https://www.baldingsworld.com/2019/07/02/is-china-exporting-authoritarianism-and-is-it-a-threat/