Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Has Petersen actually ever fired a coach? Or does he just encourage them to find another job?

BaphometBaphomet Member Posts: 1,511
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

There was a story about the influence that Don James had in Saban on /r/CFB today and it led me to this story on si.com

https://www.si.com/vault/1991/12/30/125733/mr-flexibility-because-coach-don-james-was-willing-to-make-changes-washington-is-on-the-brink-of-a-national-title

That spring James fired an assistant for the first time in his then 18 years as a head coach. The victim was Dan Dorazio, who had been on the staff for five years and is now the offensive coordinator at Holy Cross. Says Dorazio, "He told me he was disappointed in the offensive line play and that it was my responsibility."

So is Dorazio bitter? Hardly.

"Coach James is an outstanding football coach and a great human being. He's consistent, fair, honest. He's as good as there is." Dorazio's dismissal was a staff wake-up call. Nobody slept through it.

That same year James brought in Gilbertson, who had been the coach at Idaho, to install the one-back offense. Gilbertson understood the nuances of the system. James did not. Says Gilbertson, "Coach James likes to change, grow, experiment, ask questions. He always wants to do what is best for his football team."

I can't really see Coach Pete doing this?

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2019
    If you’re Alabama you can get away with a lot of upheaval with assistants. I don’t think it would work as well at UW. Continuity to some extent is important. I think Gregory should hit the exits. Same with Bush, although our offensive improvement probably gets him another year. The rest can stay.
  • Options
    JesseisabeastJesseisabeast Member Posts: 60
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If you don’t have some guys moving in and out after years it means they’re comfortable or not good enough to climb....at Oregon that long time consistency was a huge bonus, and then at the end they were a bunch of fat lazy dinosaurs
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

The Dorazio firing was huge. No internet but it got a lot of talk. It saved the program along with bringing Gilby in. It's the key to the natty

There's a reason Gilby was a hot commodity when Cal hired him

Not when UW did

One of the coolest things I've had the chance to do was sit for two hours with Don and Carol James at the Don James Center when the rest of the stadium was empty. Anything I was curious about I could ask and he was going to give me a straight answer. I asked about Dorazio and he talked about the need of sending a message to the entire staff about high standards. But he didn't throw Dorazio under the bus. He emphasized good things he had done, including giving him credit for the blocking scheme that helped beat Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.
    pete is too big of pussy to send a message
  • Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gonna go ahead and guess bush is not the problem with the offence. Everyone hated Smith and now that hes out of here he has a turned beave into a offensively competent team.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Canadawg said:

Gonna go ahead and guess bush is not the problem with the offence. Everyone hated Smith and now that hes out of here he has a turned beave into a offensively competent team.

Something about Bush’s demeanor tells me he sucks. He was a happy go lucky guy when he coached the WR’s. Now he’s Peterman lite and always serious.

I think everyone here is pretty much in agreement that Peterman is the problem with the offense.
    Exactly this.

Bush looks tired and so goddamn stressed and annoyed. Before it looked like he was having fun (insert jumping GIF), and that no doubt rubs off on 20-year-old dudes...both ways.

Pete’s taken the joy out of it for Bush. Now it’s just a fucking grind of a job.
  • Options
    Avatarsare4fagsAvatarsare4fags Member Posts: 125
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    CP cares about his coaches outside of football. Which is part of the problem. Think Saban hangs out with Sark?

So we get a lifetime contract for Courteous Coach Chris Peterson and his underperforming buddies. Or CCCP for short