Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Making sense of the UA game (and every other Pac-12 game)

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,716 Swaye's Wigwam
It's all mental.

There's something wrong with the mentality and focus of this team, which is why we've been wildly inconsistent. And it's not just the players, but the coaches who have a mental block that is affecting the players.

Bringing Puka in with his energy and excitement was a spark the offense needed after getting 4 first downs and 6 points in the entire first half (2nd half had 14 first downs and 38 points).

That excitement and energy is probably why the team does well at Husky Stadium and why we have been shit on the road. Think about it, the team feeds off the crowd which is why we've been dominant at home since 2015.

The team needs its leaders to step up and bring that energy and excitement every game for us to play at a high level consistently. And that means the coaches, too.

Comments

• gabemarkskneegabemarksknee Member Posts: 336

It's all mental.

There's something wrong with the mentality and focus of this team, which is why we've been wildly inconsistent. And it's not just the players, but the coaches who have a mental block that is affecting the players.

Bringing Puka in with his energy and excitement was a spark the offense needed after getting 4 first downs and 6 points in the entire first half (2nd half had 14 first downs and 38 points).

That excitement and energy is probably why the team does well at Husky Stadium and why we have been shit on the road. Think about it, the team feeds off the crowd which is why we've been dominant at home since 2015.

The team needs its leaders to step up and bring that energy and excitement every game for us to play at a high level consistently. And that means the coaches, too.

Better get used to it.

Stanford, Cal, UCLA environments all blow.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,046 Standard Supporter
    They played well vs byu on the road in a good environment. At home we're shit against cal although there was no energy.

This teams biggest problem is that they are just not that good.

O-line is pretty good
    Qb is pretty good
    Tailbacks are good enough
    Wr are horribly bad
    Tight ends are good.

That being said one unit is so bad it affects the ability of the other units.
    Press the WRs and blitz Eason off his spot and we can't complete a pass.

Defense.

D-line And outside backers are okay
    Inside linebackers might be the worst I've ever seen at uw and I have been watching games since 1990.
    Secondary can't tackle outside of Bryant and molden. In coverage they okay for the most part and sometimes good.

Basically just scheme at the linebackers and you will move,the ball.

Those flaws are not mental. You're right though in that the team does lack a mentality of excitemen or energy. That being said I think we have the same record with more energy. Team is just very flawed.

Stanford dominated us and our WRs and linebackers just sucked vs cal.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,716 Swaye's Wigwam

They played well vs byu on the road in a good environment. At home we're shit against cal although there was no energy.

O-line is pretty good
    Qb is pretty good
    Wr are horribly bad
    Tight ends are good.

Defense.

Inside linebackers might be the worst I've ever seen at uw and I have been watching games since 1990.
    Secondary can't tackle outside of Bryant and molden. In coverage they okay for the most part and sometimes good.

Those flaws are not mental. You're right though in that the team does lack a mentality of excitemen or energy. That being said I think we have the same record with more energy. Team is just very flawed.

I'm looking back to 2017 and 2018, too. Our losses to ASU, Stanford, and Cal were also mental blocks where we were double-digit favorites and just couldn't put anything together on offense.

This year, the issue has been magnified as the defense has had some notable mental lapses. Whether it's the defense or offense or special teams, it's the same type of issue that we've come to expect from Pete's teams.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

O-line is pretty good
    Qb is A big dick elite arm gun slinger!
    Wr are horribly bad
    Tight ends are good.

Defense.