Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Next year's WR rotation

2»

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Craig Chambers was a slug in practice and balled out in games. Practice wins don't count. PLAY. THE. TALENT.

[AllenIverson.gif]

Very true about Chambers. He was wasted here. I almost shit when he xferred to, where? Montana or some shit?
    Montana. Chambers was a good guy.
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,918
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

This whole narrative is going to die when McMillan and probably Rome leap frog Spiker and Osborne from day one.

Ty Jones, Puka, and McMillan will be the top 3. Bynum 4th if he doesn’t transfer.

Agree and I think theres a very good chance Spiker sells the couch between this season and next. From all accounts, things have not clicked for him. I still have hope for Osborne.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,554
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

This whole narrative is going to die when McMillan and probably Rome leap frog Spiker and Osborne from day one.

Ty Jones, Puka, and McMillan will be the top 3. Bynum 4th if he doesn’t transfer.

Bynum won't transfer - he caught his first pass last week. He is one of our stars
  • Options
    NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,791
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Literally nothing other than their "stars" should cause anyone to believe that Osborne and Spiker are deserving of more reps. Shit, from the practice reports we read it sounds like Spiker has Jaydon Mickens hands. People want to think there's some easy fix and that Pete's a moron for not seeing it, but the easier answer is that the guys behind our senior trio of shit suck even worse. Obviously it's still his fault for allowing the roster to be chalk full of useless receivers, but it is what it is.

But despite all I said above, guys like Opera and Chico are clearly not the answer. Even if Osborne, Spiker, etc suck, it's still time to throw them out there. Why the hell not.

And I have no idea why Puka isn't getting the ball. He's clearly established himself as someone who's earned more targets. Of all the WR storylines, that's the one thing that truly is an easy fix.
    I think the big problem here is people assuming that the talent pool in one recruiting class is equivalent to that in a different class.

TSIO guys anointed Osborne and Spiker as the best 2 WRs on the west coast for their class (which was wildly doogish considering Amon Ra St. Brown was in that class). But once you compare their film to Puka or McMillan, you can see that they’re clearly a tier of talent below that. 2018 WR class just might’ve been kinda lackluster. And their stars were inflated because of it
  • Options
    RealRhinoRealRhino Member Posts: 615
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Literally nothing other than their "stars" should cause anyone to believe that Osborne and Spiker are deserving of more reps. Shit, from the practice reports we read it sounds like Spiker has Jaydon Mickens hands. People want to think there's some easy fix and that Pete's a moron for not seeing it, but the easier answer is that the guys behind our senior trio of shit suck even worse. Obviously it's still his fault for allowing the roster to be chalk full of useless receivers, but it is what it is.

But despite all I said above, guys like Opera and Chico are clearly not the answer. Even if Osborne, Spiker, etc suck, it's still time to throw them out there. Why the hell not.

And I have no idea why Puka isn't getting the ball. He's clearly established himself as someone who's earned more targets. Of all the WR storylines, that's the one thing that truly is an easy fix.
    Not true. People that attended practices reported that Osborne, at the very least, looked very good. Hugh Millen should know receivers, and he said that as well. And what has Puka done to show that? Catch one pass?

Frankly, I don't care about their stars, but rather their traits. If guys showing the speed and size that these guys have displayed can't succeed in your offense, then your offense is fucked up. Coaches have to put players in a chance to succeed. If they can't do everything, great, don't do everything. Because your mediocre complexity is not doing shit.

• Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Pete would have left Paul Skansi on the bench until the last couple games of his senior year. He may recruit reasonably well, but can't assess talent very well when it's right in front of him. Way too much focus on scheming vs maximizing individual talent. All you need to look at during his tenure is the stunning waste of talent he's amassed at the TE position, with several future NFL stars on his teams that catch 1 or 2 passes a game.

That one example, by itself, reveals serious deficits in the offensive coaching. UW is fucked until Pete tears up his playbook. Fucked.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    NEsnake12 said:

I think the big problem here is people assuming that the talent pool in one recruiting class is equivalent to that in a different class.

TSIO guys anointed Osborne and Spiker as the best 2 WRs on the west coast for their class (which was wildly doogish considering Amon Ra St. Brown was in that class). But once you compare their film to Puka or McMillan, you can see that they’re clearly a tier of talent below that. 2018 WR class just might’ve been kinda lackluster. And their stars were inflated because of it
    Spiker was an obvious candidate to be overrated. Nobody was very impressed with him at Husky Camp, he ran a 4.88 at another camp, and he was really skinny. He played with a great high school QB in an air raid type offense. He’s probably last on the depth chart out of all the scholarship WR’s. He’s transferring after the year.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited October 2019

That’s pretty much how I feel. They should get in simply for the drops. You can’t drop that many balls and still play. Let the guys who drop balls stand on the sideline for a bit. It might even motivate them.
    This. Fuller and AB deserve to start, 100%. First time or two they fuck up, their backup comes in and stays in until they fuck up. LRR. Practice performance determines who gets first crack. Game performance determines who gets the majority of snaps.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    whuggy said:

That’s pretty much how I feel. They should get in simply for the drops. You can’t drop that many balls and still play. Let the guys who drop balls stand on the sideline for a bit. It might even motivate them.
    This. Fuller and AB deserve to start, 100%. First time or two they fuck up, their backup comes in and stays in until they fuck up. LRR. Practice performance determines who gets first crack. Game performance determines who gets the majority of snaps.
    You win with your seniors..............that can’t get open or can’t catch
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fuller’s drops are inexcusable, but he’s still easily our best WR. He gets open and is an actual threat down the field. Baccellia doesn’t get open deep against decent teams, drops some himself, and isn’t a threat once the ball is in his hands. He’s a poor man’s Mickens. I’ve never liked him at all.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Pete would have left Paul Skansi on the bench until the last couple games of his senior year. He may recruit reasonably well, but can't assess talent very well when it's right in front of him. Way too much focus on scheming vs maximizing individual talent. All you need to look at during his tenure is the stunning waste of talent he's amassed at the TE position, with several future NFL stars on his teams that catch 1 or 2 passes a game.

That one example, by itself, reveals serious deficits in the offensive coaching. UW is fucked until Pete tears up his playbook. Fucked.

Pete would have loved Paul Skansi, tf are you watching?
    He'd be a designated blocker on one or two plays a game. Zero targets.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

Fuller’s drops are inexcusable, but he’s still easily our best WR. He gets open and is an actual threat down the field. Baccellia doesn’t get open deep against decent teams, drops some himself, and isn’t a threat once the ball is in his hands. He’s a poor man’s Mickens. I’ve never liked him at all.

Great he gets open, how about catching when the ball when it matters
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

He'd be a four year starter.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    dnc said:

dnc said:

He'd be a four year starter.
    Skansi was 5'11" - We both know that's way too tall for to be a UW receiver under Pete.