Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Handful of Interesting Stats

DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited September 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
UW leads the nation in 1st Quarter scoring margin, 77-3.

46 points off turnovers so far for the Huskies. They have only given up 3 points off their own turnovers.

Coming into the game the UW defense only gave up 1 play over 20 yards. USC got 3, but were otherwise stifled all game.

The USC Air Raid that destroyed Utah last week with deep bombs completed just 3 passes over 10 yards: a 12, a 19, and a 44 yard busted coverage. The rest of the passing attack was held to just 94 yards on 16 completions,

The run defense gave up 3 runs over 10 yards: a 60, a 12, and a 35. The rest of the rushing attack was held to 110 yards on 30 carries.

USC had 3 long drives: 79 yards, 65 yards, 74 yards. A total of 218 yards.

The other 9 drives: 33, -4, -3, 30, 39, 6, 5, -3, 29.

2 touchdowns, 6 punts, 3 interceptions, 1 downs.

Against the supreme athletes that are the Men of Troy.

For a defense that we continue to bitch about because of poor tackling, poor run fits, and poor coverage..... that ain’t too fuckin bad. It has also given up 17.4 points per game, which is in line with the previous 4 years that led the league in scoring each year.

Comments

• Options
    BreadBread Member Posts: 3,982
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

UW leads the nation in 1st Quarter scoring margin, 77-3.

46 points off turnovers so far for the Huskies. They have only given up 3 points off their own turnovers.

Coming into the game the UW defense only gave up 1 play over 20 yards. USC got 3, but were otherwise stifled all game.

The USC Air Raid that destroyed Utah last week with deep bombs completed just 3 passes over 10 yards: a 12, a 19, and a 44 yard busted coverage. The rest of the passing attack was held to just 94 yards on 16 completions,

The run defense gave up 3 runs over 10 yards: a 60, a 12, and a 35. The rest of the rushing attack was held to 110 yards on 30 carries.

USC had 3 long drives: 79 yards, 65 yards, 74 yards. A total of 218 yards.

The other 9 drives: 33, -4, -3, 30, 39, 6, 5, -3, 29.

2 touchdowns, 6 punts, 3 interceptions, 1 downs.

Against the supreme athletes that are the Men of Troy.

For a defense that we continue to bitch about because of poor tackling, poor run fits, and poor coverage..... that ain’t too fuckin bad. It has also given up 17.4 points per game, which is in line with the previous 4 years that led the league in scoring each year.

Converting 9/12, 75%, succesful drives to the UW official grading scale would give our defense a 2.1 GPA for the game.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2019
    doog......poor tackling or technique cost us points today. if molden is more disciplined he does not give that 4th down conversion.

sirmon needs to block/engage the TE instead he even wiffs on tackling him the wellligton cant make play on that rushing touch down

cam williams needs to be more disciplined that TD was on him

our edges are terrible at setting, lb are bad at filling gaps.

this usc team not winning more than 8 games lets be real.

we are going to be elite next year :) on defense and back to shit offense
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    We could be sooooo much better.

Imagine this team with:

mason foster and Donald Butler

Plus a Dante Pettis type, John Ross type and two Reggie Williams as your receivers

A dangerous kick and punt returner in Pettis

Our secondary unit, matured with less mistakes and more physicality and sure tackling.

Plus our defensive line at the vita vea, tank Johnson plus talent level.

We wouldn't have to worry about Peterman fucking things up because he'd relax in the sidelines ... Jerk himself off and realize that talent is taking care of shit themselves.

And finally an alpha mentality ... Because all that fucking talent knows it.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,314
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    animate said:

Imagine this team with:

Plus a Dante Pettis type, John Ross type and two Reggie Williams as your receivers

This is what is SOFUCKINGIRRITATING.GIF

In 2016 the holes in the team were QB, interior O-Line and physical ILB once Azeem went down.
    We've fixed the QB and O-Line but gotten orders of magnitude worse at WR and ILB.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

animate said:

Imagine this team with:

Our secondary unit, matured with less mistakes and more physicality and sure tackling.

Plus our defensive line at the vita vea, tank Johnson plus talent level.

We wouldn't have to worry about Peterman fucking things up because he'd relax in the sidelines ... Jerk himself off and realize that talent is taking care of shit themselves.

And finally an alpha mentality ... Because all that fucking talent knows it.

So could be a lot better if they had the best players from the last 20 years? Chinsightful.
    Ossai, etc
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,008
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    animate said:

Just watch the tape. Having no linebacking at all is fucking this team big-time, not even talking about the receivers.

Our front line is doing a good job but everytime I see Wellington get engulfed by one offensive blocker and can't seem to fight off and shed the block and disengage I want to stab myself.

Everytime I see Manu read and react to a play seconds later than bbk and be literally 5-8 feet away from where he should be drives me nuts.

Because our linebackers create such a liability in the middle of the field it makes it even more difficult for our secondary because they can't be doing their job plus the linebackers job.

With *REDACTED*, is his reaction slow or he slow? Maybe it’s abundance?

I see him as too slow physically to get to where he needs to be to make the play.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited September 2019
    Didn’t Ngata get
    Swaye said:

animate said:

Just watch the tape. Having no linebacking at all is fucking this team big-time, not even talking about the receivers.

Our front line is doing a good job but everytime I see Wellington get engulfed by one offensive blocker and can't seem to fight off and shed the block and disengage I want to stab myself.

Everytime I see Manu read and react to a play seconds later than bbk and be literally 5-8 feet away from where he should be drives me nuts.

Because our linebackers create such a liability in the middle of the field it makes it even more difficult for our secondary because they can't be doing their job plus the linebackers job.

The piss poor LBers and barely serviceable WRers are the story of this season. We will either be able to work around those glaring holes in the roster, or not. DO it, and we are PAC12 Champs, don't do it and we are in the Depends Shit Yourself Bowel.

One great receiver (just one) and one San Quentin nail driver at LBer (just one) and this entire team is different.
    What the Fck happened to Ngata moving to the middle? Seems like he would have been the perfect SAM, with Bowman and Tryon at Buck and WIL
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Didn’t Ngata get

Swaye said:

animate said:

The piss poor LBers and barely serviceable WRers are the story of this season. We will either be able to work around those glaring holes in the roster, or not. DO it, and we are PAC12 Champs, don't do it and we are in the Depends Shit Yourself Bowel.

One great receiver (just one) and one San Quentin nail driver at LBer (just one) and this entire team is different.
    What the Fck happened to Ngata moving to the middle? Seems like he would have been the perfect SAM, with Bowman and Tryon at Buck and WIL
    No idea. Give me John Ross and BBK and this team wins the Rose Bowl. That's all we are missing. FML
  • Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,476

1.) USC didn't destroy Utah's defense. USC/Fink destroyed FS Whittingham, who refused to back out of press man coverage after the fifth time Fink lobbed an arm punt to a triple covered receiver. I kept waiting for an interception, but it took until late in the game. You want to talk about moral victories/defeats for outgaining an opponent, Utah outgained USC 457 to 381 and won the turnover battle 2:1. USC's offense looked horrible all game, Fink wishes he has Browning's arm, and yet they kept getting lucky on lobs over and over again.

2.) USC beat Utah in spite of the statistical deficiencies for the same reason USC was so boom-or-bust against UW: They have freak skill position athletes who are bound to make a big play from time to time on their own and freak D-line/linebackers (Gaoteote)/edge (Jackson) players who can occasionally blow up a play on their own and create a momentum swing. What they lack is both scheme and discipline necessary to be consistent and glaring holes elsewhere in their lineup (QB, DB, OL is not great) that causes them to trade big positive plays for big negative plays. They're such a weird team. If I had to sum it up, it's, "What if Randy Moss, Doug Baldwin, Vita Vea, and Bobby Wagner played at Oregon State?"

3.) Aiding in the boom-or-bust nature of USC's offense in this game were the obvious personnel issues on the UW side. Anybody dooging over the defensive performance right now needs to understand that Fink has a historically bad arm at this level, and he's not very athletic to boot. His numbers against Utah were a mirage, and anybody watching that game knows it. The Husky defense have not faced a quarterback with so limiting arm talent, and they will not face another. And this advantage was compounded by their staff's dogged refusal to just keep running right at the UW 3 and 4 man fronts that were getting gashed. The linebackers are a problem, and I'm surprised at the extent. If before the season somebody was to show me the film of this game and tell me that either 13 or 30 was walk-on Ulofoshio, my response would be, "Bummer; I thought he was going to be better than that."

These are the starting linebackers, though, and it's a huge liability. Lake/Kwiatkowski are scheming their asses off to hide the fact that this is a linebacker-free defense (lot of A-gap blitzes that accomplish nothing but occupy a blocker and simplify gap responsibilities), but occasionally those guys are going to be relied upon to diagnose quickly, fill the proper gap before blocking leverage can be established, possibly shed said block, and make the tackle. This is where 60, 12, and 35 happen. They will continue to happen, as there is no "this year" fix to this problem. Utah will break off at least as many big runs, ditto Oregon.

4.) A lot of the problem against the run yesterday was the amount of manpower dedicated to conservatively stopping the passing game, as USC's scheme dictated. When it's 5-on-5 up front, all 5 have to at least stalemate, and the linebackers WILL have to shed a block or collapse a running lane. Utah, on the other hand, cockily stayed in their base defense and attacked the LOS. They gave up negative rushing yards until late in the 4th quarter, but it cost them dearly down the field. I'll take UW's compromise there--difference between win and loss. On the flip side, if you're asking a linebacker to have that big of a responsibility in the run game, things like that 4th down conversion are just going to happen, as the linebackers are going to be slower to drop into their zones (or not asked to at all). Those down on Molden for allowing that catch are crazy. You're asking a corner playing face-up on Amon-Ra St. Brown (inside and outside responsibility) to stop a slant for less than five yards? There are zero slot corners in the country who can do that. Winning that battle had to involve either hoping for a bad throw, bringing a safety up and risking a gamble over the top, or dropping a linebacker and conceding a first down run (almost certainly). It was a very conservative defensive call on 4th down, and it didn't pay off in the end, as I believe 'SC scored on that drive anyway.

I noticed that was different since EWU and I was wondering what they were trying to accomplish by sending a LB in those blitzes but nothing pairing it with anything exotic upfront.

This makes sense because it's probably better for our LBs to play aggressor and run to a point rather than wait, try to diagnose, and be late running to the point of attack.
  • Options
    Postal91Postal91 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,731
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What is the current stat where we hold the record for straight games of XX amount of points scored or less by a defense? Aren't we the all-time holder now?