Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Fun Stat

MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Since 1983. 9 win seasons.

UW: 10

UO: 16

Comments

• Options

The true measure of successful for any college football team is the number of 9-win seasons since 1983.

So you don’t judge programs by wins?

Interesting take.

• Options

Here we go. Thought you had lost the touch, Mike.

But the replies are now pouring in.

Thanks for coming by, Race.

I should clarify, those are 9+ win seasons. I used 9 as that’s about the breaking point of “good season” and I used 1983 because thats the year I saw The Police in the Tacoma Dome. My first concert. 35 years ago. Can’t believe it.

• Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,496
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

The true measure of successful for any college football team is the number of 9-win seasons since 1983.

Interesting take.

If you want to talk about historical greatness, instead of cherry-picking a year that fits your narrative, why don't you just look at all-time numbers?
  • Options

Interesting take.

If you want to talk about historical greatness, instead of cherry-picking a year that fits your narrative, why don't you just look at all-time numbers?
    You don’t think going back 35 year is a fair assessment of a program? If I go back much further we may have to start including Princeton.

I’ll round it up to 40 if you’d like.

In the last 40 years Oregon has had more 9+ win seasons than the Huskysies.

• Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Interesting take.

Yale Football > Alabama Football
  • Options
    GDS said:

Interesting take.

But we don’t even hear about Yale anymore. That was a really long time ago when they were good.

I bet a lot of those fans have died.

• Options
    GDSGDS Member Posts: 1,470
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

GDS said:

Interesting take.

But we don’t even hear about Yale anymore. That was a really long time ago when they were good.

I bet a lot of those fans have died.

I hear Race lost a yuge bet on that 1872 natty between Yale and Columbia.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,866
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

• Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Another fun stat: Oregon is a shitty party school designed to be Wazzu/Beavlet with money but has only come close to achieving their goal once when they lost to Cam Newton's NFL tryout debut.

I don't see what this has to do with a Tier 2 school with a couple of natties under their belt.
  • Options
    haie said:

Another fun stat: Oregon is a shitty party school designed to be Wazzu/Beavlet with money but has only come close to achieving their goal once when they lost to Cam Newton's NFL tryout debut.

I don't see what this has to do with a Tier 2 school with a couple of natties under their belt.

I was as surprised as you are when I did the tabulations.

I’m not going to go back and see who’s won the most games over that 35-40 years but it’s gonna be really close.

When was Don James there?

“Tier 2”

What the fuck is that? :smiley:
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Since seasons went to 12 games in 2006, 9 wins is obviously a lower bar for teams who have had more recent success. UW is +5 and Oregon is +3 then.

Also UW had 4 seasons of 9+ wins immediately preceding 1983.
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

Since seasons went to 12 games in 2006, 9 wins is obviously a lower bar for teams who have had more recent success. UW is +5 and Oregon is +3 then.

Right, I mentioned you can go back 40 years. Oregon still has more 9+ win seasons.

A lot of times (unfairly IMO) Oregon fans cut the dates to start right after James quit. I’m including those years here.

• Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    How many in last 3 years?
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HuskyJW said:

You sound like a Beaver fan in 2008.

You can start a last 3 years thread if you’d like I mean besides every other thread on every other board.

Edit: the “last 3 years” are included in the original post. Otherwise it would have been Oregon 15 UW 7.

Oh man.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

HuskyJW said:

You sound like a Beaver fan in 2008.

You can start a last 3 years thread if you’d like I mean besides every other thread on every other board.

Edit: the “last 3 years” are included in the original post. Otherwise it would have been Oregon 15 UW 7.

Oh man.

Since Mariota Oregon has been a UCLA-like team in the North. That's why us doogs give you so much shit.

I do think it'll be Oregon Utah in the championship but both programs are so mediocre right now that I can't pick a winner. There's a chance Hebert breaks the record for most picks in a P12C against that defense.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Mad_Son said:

Right, I mentioned you can go back 40 years. Oregon still has more 9+ win seasons.

A lot of times (unfairly IMO) Oregon fans cut the dates to start right after James quit. I’m including those years here.

I just want to use accurate measures. Assuming that the 8/9 win measure is meaningful that would mean P10/12 era UW and Oregon have had comparable success.

Thankfully our history is much richer and deeper.
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

I just want to use accurate measures. Assuming that the 8/9 win measure is meaningful that would mean P10/12 era UW and Oregon have had comparable success.

Richer and deeper are subjective. You think anyone in Iowa knows what your history is? Do you think if they actually looked it up their hair would blow back?

I’m using hard data here. I like to remind a lot of the younger doogs that your grandpas Washington is a boomer myth like almost everything else thats been shoved down their throats.

Pattie Labelle, The circus, bazooka Joe. Lots of average with a few highlights.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

Mad_Son said:

Richer and deeper are subjective. You think anyone in Iowa knows what your history is? Do you think if they actually looked it up their hair would blow back?

I’m using hard data here. I like to remind a lot of the younger doogs that your grandpas Washington is a boomer myth like almost everything else thats been shoved down their throats.

Pattie Labelle, The circus, bazooka Joe. Lots of average with a few highlights.

So then winning a national championship isn't that hard which would make Oregon a pretentious shit party school.

Because whether you want to admit it or not 1960, 1984, and 1991 happened.