Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Wide Receivers

theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,568
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
I don't know if this has been discussed already but here is something I was thinking about while taking a shit this morning.

Maybe the trio of Bynum, Osborne and Spiker were a little overrated initially. Hear me out.

Those guys were all fairly high rated receivers coming out of high school and were identified by Hamdan and signed by Lubick. Is it possible that Hamdan's evaluations were poor? I think most of us here believe that Adams is a pretty good WR coach. His former players go out of their way to praise his temperament and skill development in their growth in the position. As a recruiter he seems to be swinging and hitting on high hanging fruit. So far so good. Our senior WR's are still starting and still getting the bulk of the reps on game days. Still. Playing. Could those three WR's be Henry Roberts? Four star guys that can't beat out the upperclassmen in front of them and are now being passed by a true freshman behind them. Puka is an Adams recruit. A guy he identified and focused on. A guy he believed in. Now he is seeing the field and will hopefully begin making more plays like the one we saw Saturday. Guys do play as freshman and redshirt freshman in this offense. It has happened. Jake Browning, Dante Pettis, Chico McClutchins, Aaron Fuller, Hunter Bryant, Nick Harris, Jaxson Kirkland, Cade Otton. I mean if those three were balling out in practice they would be given the opportunity to ball out in games. Right? Other guys did it in this system and now so is Puka. The coaches rave about Puka. They say they want him on the field more as he gets more comfortable in the offense. Dude has only been on campus for a few months. He wasn't a spring enrollee. The other three are not talked about unless Pete or Junior are talking about the "young guys". That's not encouraging. I expect to see our stable of JAGS playing most off the year barring injury because it seems that they may be the best we have at the moment.

Yeah, yeah, just wait till Adams gets his guys in here. 2023 will be speshul

FYFMFE

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Idk wtf is going on, but rolling with midgets at WR is not winning formula. Loved watching throwing screens with midgets blocking.

• Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    There are bigger issues than mis evaluating. The starters aren’t good. And they sure as hell cant block. They need to get Bynum and Osborne and puka reps to at least even block on a wide receiver screen. Nothing is more worthless than watching fuller or opera try and block on a we screen. That play would actually be effective with a big arm qb if they didn’t get their shit pushed in every time.

Personally I think it is more of an issue with the complication of the offense. The fact that we can’t even get them in there to block is stupid
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,568
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Everyone identified Puka, Jalen, and Rome lol

I get that. I'm not retarded and gay. Hamdan's trio was identified early and wrapped up early as well. All I'm saying is maybe he missed on them. Dante, Chico and Fuller all got play as young receivers in this offense. Why none of these guys. Osborne I have hope for maybe Bynum. They are young but as of yet have not dethroned the midget brigade. What does that tell you? Our coaches have gotten more dumb in the last four years and will not let young WRs play because the other three suffered so much from the exposure or that they are playing the "best" guys we have?
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited September 2019

I stand with @jamesosborne1959 , his kid is far from over rated. He would be killing it at Oregon or Wazzu. We just have a shit offense. Put him on the field with Skinny and tell me he sucks at the end of the season.

He doesn’t suck but he’s not a difference maker. Our offense has a lot more problems than simply putting Osborne in.
    Disagree 100% he’s more of a difference maker than who we have on the field now. I could since the frustration from his dad. I venture to suggest he’s more of a difference maker than Todd Elstrom was athletically given his track accolades. Spiker, was hurt, he will be fine. The offense has struggled since 2016 based more on the ability of the receivers to get open than any other component.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Transfer Portal beckons. If Puka has passed up players with 2 years in the system the writing is on the wall. I expect at least two WR to make like Moses and part the Purple Sea in hopes of playing time.

This makes no sense. By the time they'd be eligible to play, they'd be two-year starters at UW. All three of the current starters graduate after the season. They're next up.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited September 2019
    Won’t be surprised if one leaves. However, they will have an opportunity for a much larger role next year.

I’m kind of glad there is nobody that will be established so that McMillan and Rome can get on the field easier. It’s going to be a wide open competition.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

Opera’s endzone fumble touch back 🤦‍♂️ He should be demoted immediately. How the Fck did he not score

Bacchy higher on my shitlist than fuller
  • Options
    DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 703
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Transfer Portal beckons. If Puka has passed up players with 2 years in the system the writing is on the wall. I expect at least two WR to make like Moses and part the Purple Sea in hopes of playing time.

This makes no sense. By the time they'd be eligible to play, they'd be two-year starters at UW. All three of the current starters graduate after the season. They're next up.
    Yeah I see your point. I'm wondering if Ty Jones redshirts this season if anyone would contemplate leaving it may be Jordan Chin just because he's surrounded by younger talent and could be the odd man out in playing time as an upperclassman next season.

• Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Houhusky said:

People have been calling Breydon Lenius Ty Jones the off season star and calling for him to be the breakout player for years now. Every year since Ross and Pettis the solution has been some taller guy that has never played... I dont think anyone knows wtf is going on in the blackhole that is the WR room other than it keeps spitting out JAG midgets. All I know is if you are dropping as many passes as someone like Chico has you probably shouldnt be playing.

I really don't care if the receiver is 5 foot 5 or 6 foot 5. Get open, catch the ball. Jesus Christ, Julian Edelman is probably going into the Hall of Fame at 5 foot 10, 200.
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    edited September 2019
    whuggy said:

Houhusky said:

People have been calling Breydon Lenius Ty Jones the off season star and calling for him to be the breakout player for years now. Every year since Ross and Pettis the solution has been some taller guy that has never played... I dont think anyone knows wtf is going on in the blackhole that is the WR room other than it keeps spitting out JAG midgets. All I know is if you are dropping as many passes as someone like Chico has you probably shouldnt be playing.

I really don't care if the receiver is 5 foot 5 or 6 foot 5. Get open, catch the ball. Jesus Christ, Julian Edelman is probably going into the Hall of Fame at 5 foot 10, 200.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited September 2019

whuggy said:

Houhusky said:

Great fucking receiver. Reminds me of Paul Skansi a bit. So funny how we overanalyze every thing on here. It's just not that difficult. Get open, catch the fucking ball.
  • Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533
    edited September 2019
    To the OP, maybe Hamdan/Lubick did whiff on those guys? I doubt it, but I’ll flatter you for...a second.

My issue is that if the Smurfs were performing at an all-conference level against good defenses (not Eastern) and had a track record of doing so, then yeah, back-burner the highly-rated dudes, a la BBK playing over Camilo.

But they’re playing at a below average level. So why not mix it up and give others PT to prove themselves?

It makes no sense. Anyone who is anything raved about Ozzy’s spring and fall camps. Same with Bynum. Sadly, Spiker, who clearly looks the part, is developing slower.