Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

At The Risk Of Being Drawn And Quartered...

HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Standard Supporter
And at risk of being called a Doog...:

Why are some hating on Nuss so badly? From years of doing the Tecmo Weave and to my highly trained eye, he was the real force behind UW's offense...when I read that Nick Saban had hired him after the Alamo Bowl, my stomach sank and lo and behold, Sloppy Steve and Frosted Tips Kiesau ate meatloaf, took metamucil, and proceeded to shit the bed thrice times over in 2012. Yeah we lost Polk, Kearse, Aguilar, and Kelemete but something was off more than that. Meanwhile, Nuss goes to Alabama and starts lighting it up. Watching his offense against the supposedly nasty Notre Dame D was a thing of beauty and his 99 yard TD play call in the Iron Bowl was perfectly timed.

Yeah yeah, we've been burnt by an OC who became head coach way too early but let's not necessarily fight the last war (OC Sarkisian sucked ergo Nuss will suck) when from what I've heard, Nuss and Sloppy Steve are not all that alike.

One thing is clear, if Woodtarded fucks this up, he is as good as gone in a few years. If Petersen says no and he goes with Nuss and it doesn't work out (better chance than Sloppy Steve IMHO), Woodtarded will be blamed for not having a big enough sack to speak with existing head coaches to whom he has no connection (Tim DeRuyter, James Franklin, Mark Dantonio, Craigh Bohl, Pete Lembo, etc etc).

But in going back to Nuss, doesn't Saban hiring him away from Washington mean something? And then if Woodward hires him, wouldn't that mean Saban strongly recommended him? I don't know about you guys but if Nick Saban highly recommends one of his top assistants for Washington's head coaching job, it might as well be coming from Don James himself.

Comments

• Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2013
    Alabama was lighting it up before Nuss

HTH

oh..........and Chip Kelly supposedly groomed Helfrich for Oregon. In less than a year we find ourself in a December bowl game. Recommendations from head coaches means dick. Saban is doing what any other head coach would do for his offensive coordinator.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Who is that girl and didn't Alabama have a nice jump in offensive performance in 2012 and 2013?
  • Options
    HFNY said:

Who is that girl and didn't Alabama have a nice jump in offensive performance in 2012 and 2013?

Bama's offense has been good.

As for his time at UW our offense was average in 2009, shitty in 2010 and really good in 2011.

He leaves UW and our offense goes to shitty in 2012 and really good in 2013.

It wasn't like we had a great offense when he was here then immediately fell off a cliff when he left.

As for your point about a Saban assistant? How many Saban former assistants have done anything as a head coach vs how many have failed?

Sarkisian came from Carroll's staff who at that time was the best program in the nation.
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,280
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

Nuss hasn't accomplished anything tangible and barely has any experience. Its the type of hire that tells everyone you aren't a top 20 program. He could turn out good but UW shouldn't make this hire. Mind-fuckingly stupid.

Which is why I have a huge boner over it's possibility.
  • Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary
    dnc said:

Nussmeier is the greatest possible validation of the Steve Sarkisian era. It means that not only did Woodward not learn anything from his mistake, but he would make it all over again if he had the chance.

It's not about Nussmeier (who could turn out awesome, who knows?), it's about the clueless hiring processes we continue to use.

Hope is not a fucking strategy.

Here is my issue. You're upset about something you already knew was true. Did you think Woodward learned something? Everyone thought Sark was getting an extension and now everyone is mad because Woodward is Pool Boy?

You aren't the girl that gets beat up by her boyfriend. You're the girl that fucks a guy with girlfriend, starts dating him and gets mad when he cheats on you.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    I think you put it best in terms of anything tangible (no head coaching record).

I've never met Nuss but a Big Wallet Booster friend has (and who also met Sarkisian and thought he was a fucking joke) and he said he was the stud of the offensive staff rather than Sloppy Steve. He also said that Joel Thomas for sure left because he didn't like Sloppy Steve and same for Nuss on top of Sloppy Steve hogging all of the credit for Jake Locker being drafted #8 and the 2011 offense doing so well with a sub-par OL and a new QB.

I mentioned all of this on Doogman.com when trying to convince everyone that Sloppy Steve was a fucking joke but was shouted down for highlighting Nuss (and Thomas) wanting to get far away from the douche-bag (and I'm sure Nuss realized how bad of a defensive staff Sarkisian had hired, particularly Holt, Nantarded, and "Meats").

Frankly, my only concern is that Nuss doesn't have enough Dawg in him, enough "I'm a bad motherfucker and I'm going to hurt you for the next 60 minutes". From what I've gathered, he has a great football mind and his offenses executed well in spite of the program environment Sloppy created rather than because of it.

Nuss hasn't accomplished anything tangible and barely has any experience. Its the type of hire that tells everyone you aren't a top 20 program. He could turn out good but UW shouldn't make this hire. Mind-fuckingly stupid.

• Options
    loadsockloadsock Member Posts: 686
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1
    This thread is about Kate Beckinsale. No one else. Just focus on the picture.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    @HFNY, if you listened to our last podcast, Cornell noted that Nuss has attention to detail and is more respected than Sark. Still, the hire is a huge fucking reach. Nuss should be the 10th choice not anywhere near the top 5.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    She is so amazingly hot.

BRB, JO (sneak it in before my wife comes to bed)
  • Options

@HFNY, if you listened to our last podcast, Cornell noted that Nuss has attention to detail and is more respected than Sark. Still, the hire is a huge fucking reach. Nuss should be the 10th choice not anywhere near the top 5.

Hiring a guy like a Nuss after 0-12 would be tolerable but not when you have a new stadium, 8-4 team coming off four straight bowl games and return roughly 16-18 starters next year.

If you can't convince a head coach to come here with all that then you fucking suck at your job. There is no way around that.

I think Nuss will do better than Sark but Sark was better than Ty. That's not the standard the standard should be competing for Rose Bowls and with Nuss I don't see that happening.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Hiring a guy like a Nuss after 0-12 would be tolerable but not when you have a new stadium, 8-4 team coming off four straight bowl games and return roughly 16-18 starters next year.

If you can't convince a head coach to come here with all that then you fucking suck at your job. There is no way around that.

I think Nuss will do better than Sark but Sark was better than Ty. That's not the standard the standard should be competing for Rose Bowls and with Nuss I don't see that happening.
    Gilby-Ty-Sark-Nuss

Funny thing is that progression is getting better. Barely...but better. If that keeps up then by 2025 we might have a championship coach.
  • Options
    death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991
    5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2013
    This hire needs to send a message that hiring Sark DID NOT DO! Nuss may be ready to be a HC. SO LET HIM BE A HC IN THE MOUTAIN WEST OR CONFERENCE USA! We can hire him in 10 years!

SEC teams don't hire coordinators as HC's (anymore, see below) AND NEITHER SHOULD WE!

• Options

This hire needs to send a message that hiring Sark DID NOT DO! Nuss may be ready to be a HC. SO LET HIM BE A HC IN THE MOUTAIN WEST OR CONFERENCE USA! We can hire him in 10 years!

SEC teams don't hire coordinators as HC's AND NEITHER SHOULD WE!

Well Florida did that and it's working out "great" for them.........
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Jimbo Fisher was the OC at FSU before taking over for Bowden right? Sweeney was the OC at Clemson (ACC) before taking over for Terry Bowden right?

I'd feel more comfortable with Petersen or DeRuyter but Nuss did coordinate our offense for 3 years.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2013
    HFNY said:

Jimbo Fisher was the OC at FSU before taking over for Bowden right? Sweeney was the OC at Clemson (ACC) before taking over for Terry Bowden right?

I'd feel more comfortable with Petersen or DeRuyter but Nuss did coordinate our offense for 3 years.

Please stop using Dabo Swinney as an example. He's a fucking idiot and many think their OC Chad Morris (highest paid assistant coach) is the brains behind that team. He hasn't beaten South Carolina since his first year. Dabo was a WR coach, not even a coordinator.

• Options
    death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991
    5 Up Votes First Comment Testing 1 5 Awesomes
    edited December 2013

SEC teams don't hire coordinators as HC's AND NEITHER SHOULD WE!

Well Florida did that and it's working out "great" for them.........
    See, edited id., supra.
  • Options
    HFNY said:

We had much more success as an offense under Gilby than Nuss. Should we hire Gilby then?

In 2009 under Nuss the Huskies ranked 69th(26.1), had 375.5 yards(5.7)
    In 2010 under Nuss the Huskies ranked 96th(21.8 PPG), had 362.5 yards(5.5 YPA)
    In 2011 under Nuss the Huskies ranked 25th(33.4 PPG), had 409.8 yards(6.2 YPA)

So Nuss leaves

In 2012 under a new OC the Huskies ranked 90th(24.0 PPG), had 355.2 yards(5.1 YPA)
    In 2013 the Huskies ranked 18th(38.5 PPG), had 514.5 yards(6.5 YPA)

Now let's go to Alabama

in 2009 pre Nuss the Crimson Tide ranked 22nd(32.1 PPG), had 403 yards(6.0 YPA)
    in 2010 pre Nuss the Crimson Tide ranked 18th(35.7 PPG), had 444.1 yards(7.0 YPA)
    In 2011 pre Nuss the Crimson Tide ranked 20th(34.8 PPG), had 429.5 yards(6.5 YPA)

Now Nuss arrives

In 2012 Crimson Tide ranked 12th(38.7 PPG), had 445.5 yards(6.9 YPA)
    In 2013 Crimson Tide ranked 16th(38.8 PPG), had 448.9 yards(7.1 YPA)

You really can't tell the difference between the Nuss years and the non Nuss years at UW as like the Sark tenure they were all over the place.

At Alabama there appears to be slight improvement but that is mostly due to them having an NFL QB in McCaron which in 2009-2010 they didn't have and in 2011 McCaron was in his first year starting.

• Options
    TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary

HFNY said:

We had much more success as an offense under Gilby than Nuss. Should we hire Gilby then?

In 2009 under Nuss the Huskies ranked 69th(26.1), had 375.5 yards(5.7)
    In 2010 under Nuss the Huskies ranked 96th(21.8 PPG), had 362.5 yards(5.5 YPA)
    In 2011 under Nuss the Huskies ranked 25th(33.4 PPG), had 409.8 yards(6.2 YPA)

So Nuss leaves

In 2012 under a new OC the Huskies ranked 90th(24.0 PPG), had 355.2 yards(5.1 YPA)
    In 2013 the Huskies ranked 18th(38.5 PPG), had 514.5 yards(6.5 YPA)

Now let's go to Alabama

in 2009 pre Nuss the Crimson Tide ranked 22nd(32.1 PPG), had 403 yards(6.0 YPA)
    in 2010 pre Nuss the Crimson Tide ranked 18th(35.7 PPG), had 444.1 yards(7.0 YPA)
    In 2011 pre Nuss the Crimson Tide ranked 20th(34.8 PPG), had 429.5 yards(6.5 YPA)

Now Nuss arrives

In 2012 Crimson Tide ranked 12th(38.7 PPG), had 445.5 yards(6.9 YPA)
    In 2013 Crimson Tide ranked 16th(38.8 PPG), had 448.9 yards(7.1 YPA)

You really can't tell the difference between the Nuss years and the non Nuss years at UW as like the Sark tenure they were all over the place.

At Alabama there appears to be slight improvement but that is mostly due to them having an NFL QB in McCaron which in 2009-2010 they didn't have and in 2011 McCaron was in his first year starting.
    Because Greg McElory didn't play in the NFL or anything.