Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

It’s finally clear to me

Watch the Texas AM players walk off after Clemson loss. Watch Alabama players walk off after the Clemson loss. Watch Oklahoma after their loss to Texas.

Now watch the Washington players yesterday. Most if not all were smiling and the laughing after a loss to Cal and have a history of comeing out flat “ Rosebowl”
Pete is corporate and banal. His kids are flat because he is. He has and his staff has a thorough process for game planning and practicing. I would argue he as organized as any head coach in a power five conference. However , he is missing a critical component of leadership. Leadership is not about control. It’s letting go and delegation within a framework. The framework has consequences.Big consequences you lose your job. Kids are ok with losing as long as we ( the players) do what he says and follow the process. The player feels emotionally this way “ So hey I show up and do what he says everyone and everything will be ok. So the players emotionally detach from the outcome.” In someways we call it “mailing it in.”It’s one of the dangers of being so caught up in process over results. The difference between say Saban and I believe Pete is this, Pete lacks the personal intensity that transcends process and creates accountability with players for results. The gap between Cal and Washington wasn’t talent. And I would argue the difference between Washington and the buckeyes wasn’t talent except for the quarterback position. Look at who Washington is getting on the offensive /defensive lines now. They have turned down offers from Alabama and Ohio State. So it isn’t talent. It’s Leadership and pushing players to their max in every way. Pete is at his core a decent, process driven coach but will always lack what Saban, Herman, Dabo have . The ability to push their kids to their emotional and physical limits.

Comments