Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Caple's 2019 Predictions

Full analysis in the WAM you cheap fucks.

With only a few days remaining until actual UW football, I figured it only fitting to mark the occasion with one final season prediction post. I picked the winner of each of the Huskies games, projected the final Pac-12 standings and tried to guess each of UW’s statistical leaders and all-conference selections. If most of them are correct, I will revisit this post at season’s end, primarily to gloat. If most end up incorrect … well, there’s always 2020.

We begin with the schedule.

Aug. 31 vs. Eastern Washington - UW 35, EWU 17
UW’s offensive line will lead a consistent rushing attack, Jacob Eason will take what’s given to him while mixing in a “wow” throw or two and the Huskies will separate in the second half. And I think that re-tooled defense is still good.

Sept. 7 vs. California - UW 20, Cal 13
This game will allow us to evaluate the degree to which the Huskies’ receivers have improved since last season, as the Golden Bears have one of the nation’s top secondaries. Playing at home, I’ll guess the Huskies remember last season’s disappointment in Berkeley and this time emerge from a low-scoring game victorious.

Sept. 14 vs. Hawaii - UW 42, Hawaii 21
UW obviously has the talent edge, McDonald did throw four interceptions against the Wildcats and Hawaii’s defense did allow 539 yards of total offense.

Sept. 21 at BYU - UW 38, BYU 17
BYU team that will have played its first three games against Utah, Tennessee and USC. Following a three-game set like that, the Huskies likely won’t be catching the Cougars at full strength, and still should be the better team, anyway.

Sept. 28 vs. USC - USC 31, UW 24
Maybe this qualifies me for future #FreezingColdTakes treatment, but I keep thinking the Trojans could be pretty good with a bunch of elite receivers running Graham Harrell’s version of the “Air Raid.”

Oct. 5 at Stanford - Stanford 27, UW 21
For now, this looks like the toughest road game on the schedule, and Palo Alto hasn’t been kind to the Huskies, either. UW hasn’t won there since 2007.

Oct. 12 at Arizona - UW 38, Arizona 24
It doesn’t matter what the teams’ records are heading into this game: If Khalil Tate is healthy, this will be a scary one for UW and its fans. In the desert, it always is.

Oct. 19 vs. Oregon - UW 28, Oregon 24
Playing at Husky Stadium this time — and with seven full games behind Eason — I’ll guess UW avenges its heartbreaking overtime loss in Eugene last season.

Nov. 2 vs. Utah - UW 17, Utah 13
The Huskies’ first bye week comes at a good time — right after what will be an emotional victory or defeat, and before a showdown with one of the conference’s most physical teams.

Nov. 8 at Oregon State - UW 45, OSU 21
This still is the easiest Pac-12 game on UW’s schedule.

Nov. 23 at Colorado - UW 37, Colorado 27
This feels like that customary road game the Huskies should win but will really, really struggle instead (Cal 2018 and Arizona State 2017, say hello).

Nov. 29 vs. Washington State - UW 41, WSU 24
Until Mike Leach proves he can beat Petersen, it’s tough to predict it will happen. Especially at Husky Stadium.

Final record: 10-2 overall, 7-2 in Pac-12

Bowl game: Rose or Alamo, pending Pac-12 championship game

Superlatives

Leading passer: Jacob Eason

Leading rusher: Salvon Ahmed

Leading receiver (yards): Aaron Fuller

Leading receiver (TD catches): Hunter Bryant

Leading tackler: Myles Bryant

Sacks leader: Joe Tryon

Interceptions leader: Kyler Gordon

UW offensive POY: Salvon Ahmed

UW defensive POY: Myles Bryant

UW offensive freshman POY: WR Puka Nacua

UW defensive freshman POY: S Cameron Williams

Breakout candidate, offense: TE Cade Otton

Breakout candidate, defense: CB Kyler Gordon

First-team All-Pac-12: LT Trey Adams, C Nick Harris, TE Hunter Bryant, DB Myles Bryant, DB Elijah Molden

Second-team All-Pac-12: RG Jaxson Kirkland, DL Levi Onwuzurike, DB Keith Taylor

Predicted Pac-12 standings

North

1. Washington: If the schedules were even, I might give Oregon’s experience and quarterback talent the nod here. But the Huskies should take advantage of what appears to be a more favorable slate (which includes a home game against the Ducks).

2. Oregon: The Ducks are a popular pick to win the division — they edged UW by one vote in the preseason media poll — and that’s easy to understand: Senior Justin Herbert is back at quarterback and Oregon might have one of the nation’s top offensive lines. The Ducks also recruited better than anyone in the Pac-12 in the past two cycles.

5. Stanford: USC and WSU are the Cardinal’s two toughest road games; Stanford misses Utah and gets UW and Oregon at home. That seems manageable enough.

4. Washington State: Like many others, I assumed Eastern Washington transfer Gage Gubrud would win the starting quarterback job, but coach Mike Leach instead is going with fifth-year senior Anthony Gordon.

5. California: Their defensive possessions should be really fun to watch, at least.

6. Oregon State: The Beavers’ renaissance does not appear nigh.

South

1. Utah: If the Utes were able to win the division last season with their backup quarterback and backup tailback playing for the final month, they should be able to defend their title with Huntley and Moss back in action.

2. USC: They get Utah, Oregon and Stanford at home, though the Coliseum isn’t the friendliest place for the home team when things aren’t going well.

3. Arizona State: Coach Herm Edwards and his staff probably overachieved in Year 1, and the Sun Devils could be sneaky good this season.

4. Arizona: OK, so maybe it’s not totally fair to project the South after watching the Wildcats play a game, but you’ll have to take my word that this is where I slotted them even before the loss to Hawaii.

5. Colorado: I’ll break from the pack a bit here and boldly predict that the Buffaloes will finish fifth instead of sixth in Mel Tucker’s first season as coach.

6. UCLA: Nonconference games at Cincinnati, vs. San Diego State and vs. Oklahoma, and league trips to WSU, Stanford, Utah and USC. That’s rough.

Toughest decisions, ranked: 1. UW over Oregon to win the North; 2. Stanford over WSU for third in the North; 3. USC over ASU for second in the South.

Comments

• DawgDaze71DawgDaze71 Member Posts: 708
    Aug. 31 vs. Eastern Washington - UW 44, EWU 21

First half is a rather slow affair with the UW having just 14pts at half to EWU 7. 2nd half the size of UW wears down EWU who scores a late TD to keep the game respectable.

Sept. 7 vs. California - UW 34, Cal 10

UW avenges poor showing on the road last year. This is a make or break game for deciding what WR are going to get targets going forward. Eason's lively arm energizes the passing game and the return of Adams
    to the OL delivers the pop we need in the run game. TE make an impact in this game. Look for Hunter Bryant, Otton and Culp to make hay.

Sept. 14 vs. Hawaii - UW 49, Hawaii 24
    UW secondary learning the feel of playing zone. Defense keeps this game in order though Hawaii will show some spark on offense. UW too well coached to surrender the win.

Sept. 21 at BYU - UW 41, BYU 21

BYU QB Wilson is flustered as UW defense tees off on their battered OL. Kyler Gordon has two Picks and UW receivers carve up the Cougar secondary. Game is never in question.

Sept. 28 vs. USC - USC 31, UW 28

USC is 3-1 surprisingly after wins against Fresno, BYU and most recently Utah. Their sole loss being to Stanford on the road. Realizing their road to the Pac-12 south becomes that much
    easier after dispatching Utah the Trojans sneak up on the Dawgs giving them a frustrating home loss. Turnovers are key.

Oct. 5 at Stanford - Stanford 24, UW 28

Dawgs must win to keep momentum in Pac-12 North Division. They haven't won at Stanford in a decade but bounce back from a loss to USC in a hard fought battle on the farm. UW secondary
    come up big preserving the win.

Oct. 12 at Arizona - UW 31, Arizona 17

Tate simply cannot break from from the UW Defense enough to grind out points. UW abuses Arizona's poor secondary and grabs the rare win in Arizona.

Oct. 19 vs. Oregon - UW 38, Oregon 28

Victor here has the drivers seat to the Pac-12 N championship. Hebert plays well but Oregon's offense simply isn't enough to overcome a UW Defense that is becoming more and more stingy. UW pulls away late and secures the victory.

Nov. 2 vs. Utah - UW 24, Utah 14
    Utah's Defense keeps it close enough but Moss is kept in check and Utah runs out of weapons to grind out the road victory.

Nov. 8 at Oregon State - UW 41, OSU 24

First half Is surprisingly close but UW owns the 2nd half and cruises to an easy victory.

Nov. 23 at Colorado - UW 34, Colorado 21

CU simply not ready for this level of play. UW is motivated to make the championship game and are highly focused.

Nov. 29 vs. Washington State - UW 43, WSU 21

WSU scores more points in the Apple Cup than recent years but UW is playing for a potential Playoff birth and Pac-12 Championship

Final record: 11-1 overall, 8-1 in Pac-12

Summary:

Eason and UW WR depth bring more potency to the offense.
    Adams impact to the OL is significant
    Our run game won't match a Gaskin led game but Ahmed and crew force defenses to be honest
    Husky Defense is stout and the improved size and depth help us win road games that we've formerly lost.