Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What Are Washington's Best Wins In Petersen Era?

DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
edited August 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
Caple posted an article about the 10 best wins in the Petersen era as a trip down memory lane before the season.

5. Stanford, 2016 (DoogCourics WAS THERE AND REALIZED WE WERE BACK!!!!)

UW was 4-0 after a weak nonconference slate and a harrowing victory at Arizona, so the Huskies’ showdown with perennial North power Stanford — on a Friday night at Husky Stadium — loomed as the ultimate prove-it game. And, boy, did they prove it. Behind a defense that had eight sacks and forced two turnovers, the Huskies rolled 44-6, in the process establishing themselves as the team to beat in the Pac-12.

It was something of a showcase game, too, for Browning, who was 15-of-21 for 210 yards with three touchdowns and no interceptions. Gaskin rushed for 100 yards and two touchdowns on 18 carries, and Lavon Coleman added 74 yards and a score on 11 rushes. Pettis and John Ross each caught touchdowns. The Huskies led 23-0 at halftime and 30-0 before Stanford finally scored late in the third quarter.

Many in the sellout crowd of 72,027 stormed the field afterward, celebrating a victory that bumped UW to No. 5 in that week’s AP top 25.

3. Oregon, 2016

Has there ever been a more cathartic victory for Washington and its fans? Eight days after routing Stanford, the Huskies traveled to Eugene with hopes of ending an unprecedented 12-year losing streak against their most bitter rival. They were favored to do so: Oregon had struggled to a 2-3 start, including a 51-33 loss at Washington State the week before, and the programs finally appeared headed in different directions.

Still, nobody saw this coming. The Huskies put together one of their greatest offensive performances ever, Browning accounted for eight touchdowns and Washington left with a 70-21 victory that served as an exclamation point — OK, maybe two exclamation points — to their breakout win against Stanford. They finished with 682 yards of total offense and averaged 9.3 yards per play, and at one point, UW scored touchdowns on six consecutive possessions. The game also produced “The Point,” perhaps the most memorable play (and photo) of Browning’s career.

The nature of the loss hung over Ducks coach Mark Helfrich for the rest of the season, and Oregon fired him after a 4-8 finish, just two seasons after he had them in the national championship game.

1. Colorado, 2016 (Pac-12 Championship Game)

The highlight of Petersen’s tenure so far was the Huskies’ CFP appearance in 2016, and this is the victory that got them there. Despite a lack of any real passing game — Browning was only 9-of-24 for 118 yards that night at Levi’s Stadium — the Huskies still won in dominating fashion, riding 100-plus-yard performances by Gaskin and Coleman to a 41-10 victory and their first league title in 16 years.

This was a defensive masterpiece, too. Taylor Rapp, then a true freshman, won game MVP honors with two interceptions of Buffaloes quarterback Sefo Liufau, one of which he returned for a touchdown. Zeke Turner also added an interception, and Colorado managed only 3.0 yards per play and nine first downs. Meanwhile, Gaskin and Coleman combined to rush for 260 yards on 47 carries, and Ross turned in a highlight-reel touchdown catch, leaping to snag with one hand a pass that Browning appeared to be trying to throw away.

Though some lobbied for Penn State to leapfrog the Huskies in the final CFP rankings, the selection committee ultimately gave the No. 4 seed to Washington, setting up a Peach Bowl matchup against No. 1 Alabama. The Tide rolled, winning 24-7 with a suffocating defensive performance. But the Huskies still tied a school record for wins in a season (12) and set the tone for the consecutive 10-win campaigns that followed.

What were your favorites?

Comments

• backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,785
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    edited August 2019
    I hated all of them
  • DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited August 2019
    August 31, 2013. UW 38-BSU 6 rather easily.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,044
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    70-21. Everything else sucked.
  • huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,041
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Per DDY, all losses.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,350
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2019
    2015 SC for the watching surfer bro fear for his life at home against Gaines and Feeney.

2016 Apple Cup because the coogs really thought it was their moment with it being at home. Bonus points because after the game on the local pac 12 TV show in Portland, Gesser was telling Cam Cleeland that UW would get beat down by Colorado. lulz.

2017 Doog/Quook Bowl and Apple Cup because both opposing fanbases, at least from my perspective, acted like knew they were going to get beat the fuck down and had to sit and watch it all in the cold ass pouring down rain. Talking Ducks the next week was a special episode. Fuck Pete for dropping the Stanford game that year. Bonus points for decimating Cal in hilarious fashion wearing purple clown costumes.

2018 the Stanford-Apple Cup-P12C stretch where they said fuck it and rode an elite secondary to another championship. Maybe Beavlet was in there somewhere as a nice scrimmage and I TTFTS.
  • DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

2015 SC for the watching surfer bro fear for his life at home against Gaines and Feeney.

2016 Apple Cup because the coogs really thought it was their moment with it being at home. Bonus points because after the game on the local pac 12 TV show in Portland, Gesser was telling Cam Cleeland that UW would get beat down by Colorado. lulz.

2017 Doog/Quook Bowl and Apple Cup because both opposing fanbases, at least from my perspective, acted like knew they were going to get beat the fuck down and had to sit and watch it all in the cold ass pouring down rain. Talking Ducks the next week was a special episode. Fuck Pete for dropping the Stanford game that year. Bonus points for decimating Cal in hilarious fashion wearing purple clown costumes.

2018 the Stanford-Apple Cup-P12C stretch where they said fuck it and rode an elite secondary to another championship. Maybe Beavlet was in there somewhere as a nice scrimmage and I TTFTS.

Just for you @haie:

4. Washington State, 2016
    This was an Apple Cup with stakes higher than most: Washington and Washington State entered the game 1-2 in the division standings, meaning the winner would represent the North in the Pac-12 title game. And with Falk healthy this time around, most presumed the game would be closer than the previous season’s matchup.

It was, but not by much. The Huskies scored four touchdowns in the first quarter, led 35-10 at halftime and cruised to a 45-17 victory, clinching their first North title and keeping alive their College Football Playoff hopes. Pettis caught two touchdown passes, Ross caught one, Coleman and Gaskin combined to rush for 132 yards and three touchdowns, and the Huskies’ defense forced four turnovers and limited WSU to 4.5 yards per play.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,706
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited August 2019
    I'm going with the moral victories in the Peach, Fiesta and Rose Bowls.

I'm going with the moral victories in the Peach, Fiesta and Rose Bowls.

I disagree: it was a fine effect.

#bamanlerntousethefuckoffbutton
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    You guys beat Cal one year didn't you
  • Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,955
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

No. Never have beaten them. Ever.
  • H_DH_D Member Posts: 6,098
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Watching UW beat an "angry" Gabe Marks was pretty satisfying.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,240
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Pretty sure the Redskins have gone 0-16 every year during the Petersen era so there are no wins to be the best

Didn't we? have like 19 straight over them at one poont? I think I was in law school when they came up here and beat us? There were a bunch of Berkeley Bobs in my LS class and they were fucking insufferable. It was the true beginning of my dislike of them.

My entire life before that point, it was "We're Cal. We're an academic institution. We don't care about big tim sports. We're above that low brow banality."

Snapped the streak and they were like Auburn fans after a win in the Iron Bowl. All of a sudden, we? like sports.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Imagine being 2-2 vs Cal

Speaking of who was their coach before Wilcox? Dykes? Or was he before?

We haven't played them since 16 I think so I haven't paid any attention