Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Book Review - Beautiful Life and Tragic Death of Parker Moore

haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,449
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
Swaye's Wigwam
edited August 2019 in Hardcore Husky Board
I went ahead and purchased Derek's new book on Amazon. I'm from SW Washington so I don't have much interest in Woodinville, Bothell, etc. I enjoy the college game over high school although I know that it brings smaller communities together, as it has for Camas. Camas is similar to Woodinville or so I think it is.

Also I hate everything about the state of Oregon except that it is the place where I earn a living.

I really enjoy Derek's books because his writing isn't convoluted yet it is very intelligent and entertaining.

Working with some people that played at Linfield during the time that this happened, I didn't really know what to expect with this book. I'm used to Bow Down To Willingham, Husky Hitman, etc.

I have to say that if you're a husky fan, someone who appreciates the Seattle area, Washington high school football, stories of faith, or any combination of those, you will finish this book in a couple of sittings as I did this week. There are also great stories in here about the football brotherhood that never leaves you after your playing days are over, whether that was high school or college.

Maybe it's because I wasn't familiar with the specifics of this story to begin with, but I was really intrigued by the murder/crime novella aspect of it. The entire story surrounding the event of this young man's death is foggy, and I tend to love that about movies, books, etc.

I also loved that the book is very relevant to the Seattle grind of trying to be perfect and the personal pitfalls that sometimes come with that; that family ultimately matters more than results/achievement.

Without giving anything away I highly recommend you all to read this book because it is by far my favorite book from Derek, and I didn't think Bow Down to Willingham would be topped.

Comments

• Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,060
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Good review. I loved it as well.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Nice review but I have to disagree regarding Derek's best book. Rooting from Afar is by far his best book.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Nice review but I have to disagree regarding Derek's best book. Rooting from Afar is by far his best book.

The interviews for Rooting from Afar were a pain in the ass. What a bunch of insufferable pricks. Especially that one guy.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    How many rubles did Stalin pay you to write that review?
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    My buddies son in law was the QB of that Linfield team and I watched him play a couple times. Definitely a good kid and a leader. He would have moved on to really good things. Senseless shit.
  • Options
    Founders Club

He PM'd me out of the blue with his thoughts on the book. I asked him if he'd be willing to share those thoughts with the board.

• Options
    DoogWhispererDoogWhisperer Member Posts: 1,017
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Sounds like the type of book someone from Camas would enjoy.
  • Options
    YouKnowItYouKnowIt Member Posts: 539
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    haie said:

I went ahead and purchased Derek's new book on Amazon. I'm from SW Washington so I don't have much interest in Woodinville, Bothell, etc. I enjoy the college game over high school although I know that it brings smaller communities together, as it has for Camas. Camas is similar to Woodinville or so I think it is.

Also I hate everything about the state of Oregon except that it is the place where I earn a living.

I really enjoy Derek's books because his writing isn't convoluted yet it is very intelligent and entertaining.

Working with some people that played at Linfield during the time that this happened, I didn't really know what to expect with this book. I'm used to Bow Down To Willingham, Husky Hitman, etc.

I have to say that if you're a husky fan, someone who appreciates the Seattle area, Washington high school football, stories of faith, or any combination of those, you will finish this book in a couple of sittings as I did this week. There are also great stories in here about the football brotherhood that never leaves you after your playing days are over, whether that was high school or college.

Maybe it's because I wasn't familiar with the specifics of this story to begin with, but I was really intrigued by the murder/crime novella aspect of it. The entire story surrounding the event of this young man's death is foggy, and I tend to love that about movies, books, etc.

I also loved that the book is very relevant to the Seattle grind of trying to be perfect and the personal pitfalls that sometimes come with that; that family ultimately matters more than results/achievement.

Without giving anything away I highly recommend you all to read this book because it is by far my favorite book from Derek, and I didn't think Bow Down to Willingham would be topped.

you could have just said summed up the book by saying "Technically Gifted"
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333

He PM'd me out of the blue with his thoughts on the book. I asked him if he'd be willing to share those thoughts with the board.

And I’m sure you know enough Bosnian immigrants to be able to make a significant conclusion on their writing abilities.😂😂

Furthermore I am also sure your education makes you knowledgeable enough to draw correlations.😂😂

As a former teacher, I find a lot of writing errors, However I choose to ignore them and respond to the main point of a post. Silly me!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

I'm confused - for real talk now that I've turned the chapter to a more refined and mature creep - but what was foggy about the circumstances? Derek I assume that everyone knows what happened to Parker, unless more developed later and I somehow missed it, which I doubt. Of course I lived in the Bothell community and 1/3 of my entire social circle is between the Woodin'hood and Bothell. But it was a fairly large story when it broke.

In any event, I haven't bought or read the book, sorry Stalin; but I know the story well and one of my kids is his age and, though not close friends, they certainly knew each other and their crowds overlaped.

Bottom line, really good kid, tragic af and the most troubling aspect of it all is that it is yet another expression of how random life can be, sometimes for the bad.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,333

haie said:

I'm confused - for real talk now that I've turned the chapter to a more refined and mature creep - but what was foggy about the circumstances? Derek I assume that everyone knows what happened to Parker, unless more developed later and I somehow missed it, which I doubt. Of course I lived in the Bothell community and 1/3 of my entire social circle is between the Woodin'hood and Bothell. But it was a fairly large story when it broke.

In any event, I haven't bought or read the book, sorry Stalin; but I know the story well and one of my kids is his age and, though not close friends, they certainly knew each other and their crowds overlaped.

Bottom line, really good kid, tragic af and the most troubling aspect of it all is that it is yet another expression of how random life can be, sometimes for the bad.
    Shut up and buy the book.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

haie said:

Shut up and buy the book.
    Hard to make a living when you are pretend lawyer
  • Options
    Doog_de_JourDoog_de_Jour Member Posts: 7,958
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    I just finished reading “The Beautiful Life and the Tragic Death of Parker Moore” this weekend. I’ll admit I held off buying it initially because of the heavy subject matter, but ultimately did so because I wanted to support Derek.

First off, it wasn’t an easy read...not because it was poorly written (in fact, I’d say it’s Derek’s best) but I just got very emotional reading it. I lost two people I knew before I graduated high school, so it brought back many of those memories. Derek also does such a lovely job of painting a vivid portrait of Parker and what a great kid he was that the gut punch of his murder hits you that much harder.

So you might be saying, “why would I want to read something so depressing?” Well, I personally thought the story of the Moores (Parker’s parents and sister) was actually the most compelling piece of the book. It was interesting seeing how their dynamic evolved throughout the story, and how Parker’s passing lead to some healing of tattered relationships.

Again, I realize this isn’t the usual Hardcore Husky fare, but I really do recommend it.
  • Options
    PatHadenFSPatHadenFS Member Posts: 542
    5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Up Votes
    Yeah, but fuck Camas.