Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Story time with Uncle Race

RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,631
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
The very first SEC Storied was about Herschel Walker. One of the many benefits of the ESPN SEC love fest is having 30 for 30 types docs on legendary SEC performers. How did this love fest that has so many non SEC fans upset start?

Herschel Walker. 1980 true freshman at Georgia

For years ABC has exclusive rights to college football and we got a game of the week and maybe a double header or a regional game. Being on TV meant something. ABC was not owned by Disney or ESPN at the time since ESPN wasn't born until 1979.

ABC loved the Pac 8 and the Big 10, mainly USC, UCLA, Michigan, and Ohio State. Other than Bama the SEC was not the Goliath you know today.

The other leagues broke the monopoly around 1980 when ESPN was born and made their own contracts with other networks. The Supreme Court upheld this in 1984.

Walker was perhaps the greatest running back ever and led Georgia to three straight National Championship bowl games of which they won one. They became must see TV and ESPN needed programming in a huge way. All of a sudden the South was rising. Walker and Georgia played eventual Heisman winner George Rogers and South Carolina in 1980 in what became a huge national game. Shown on ABC

After the 1984 Supreme Court decision in NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma allowed individual schools to negotiate television rights, ESPN began broadcasting live regular-season games during the 1984 season, beginning with a game between BYU and Pittsburgh on September 1, 1984. The first live broadcast of a regular-season night game followed that night, between the Florida Gators, who were ranked number 17, and the Miami Hurricanes, who were ranked number 10.

Now everyone could be on TV but the SEC not only has the ESPN package they have the CBS package.

Georgia basically did nothing between Walker leaving and Kirby Smart but were thought of as a power team.

Once the market started deciding the viewers have decided they like the SEC. ESPN showed a lot of games after 1984 and still cover numerous leagues to this day. The Pac 12 is lucky they even show us at all.

Its the fans that caused the love fest

Comments

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,624
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    With a few photoshops added in belongs on the front page imo.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    do you remember when little Herschel was pissed off because his older sister would outrun him all the time so he started doing wind sprints every single day on his way to school and back?
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Meek said:

do you remember when little Herschel was pissed off because his older sister would outrun him all the time so he started doing wind sprints every single day on his way to school and back?

As I re watched it this weekend I found myself skeptical of how much of a fat loser he really was before doing thousands of push ups a day and racing trains

Its the stuff of legend!

His high school film would close down our recruiting board
    my dad...when he still (barely) had aspirations for my sporting career made me read this issue

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Every kid growing up wanted #34, and not because of Sweetness.

That dude was a man amongst boys in college. Herschel, Bo and Dupree. Those guys were the best I've seen at the college level. Might throw Dickerson in there too.

That play where Walker runs through and over Bill Bates is amazing, especially considering that Bates was a tough mother fucker.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 102,631
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    All I know is that the Irish tied the Spartans

And Lambo beat Saban
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
  • Options
    HuskyJWHuskyJW Guest, Member Posts: 14,198
    They remind me of Deantae Coopet
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,757
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

That dude was a man amongst boys in college. Herschel, Bo and Dupree. Those guys were the best I've seen at the college level. Might throw Dickerson in there too.

That play where Walker runs through and over Bill Bates is amazing, especially considering that Bates was a tough mother fucker.

Barry Sanders is the best ball carrier who ever lived. College or NFL. He wasn’t the physical freak that Herschel, Dupree, Campbell, Jim Brown and Bo were, but the bess nonetheless imo.
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,757
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

And Lambo beat Saban

And Washington beat Willamette 120-0

That was a GOOD Willamette team that year too.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,482
    Standard Supporter
    salemcoog said:

And Lambo beat Saban

And Washington beat Willamette 120-0

That was a GOOD Willamette team that year too.
    #MyBeercats

Pull guard duty at Pearl, than pop off!!!
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    salemcoog said:

Barry Sanders is the best ball carrier who ever lived. College or NFL. He wasn’t the physical freak that Herschel, Dupree, Campbell, Jim Brown and Bo were, but the bess nonetheless imo.
    I won't argue that. He was amazing. But as you said, those guys had everything except maybe didn't have his ability to make people miss. Different backs. The guys I listed were, as you say, once in 20 years physical freaks.
  • Options
    Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,718
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker