Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

A cigar queer-eye?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
If I buy some fine cigars from a reputable store in Seattle, how long do I have to smoke them? I don’t have a humidor. Humidity is 41% the next few days.

@Swaye ? @UW_Doog_Bot ? @DHD ?

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Just leave them in the sun to cure for about three weeks.
  • Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Just leave them in the sun to cure for about three weeks.

Yeah, cuz that's what the Cubans do ...
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    @YellowSnow here is the perfect solution. Can get the bag in a day or two if Prime. I have used one. Got 15 cigars in it no problem, and it will keep them for several months. It's basically a poor man humidor because you can get boveda pack refills and just throw a fresh one in every few months. Viola.

https://www.amazon.com/Boveda-Humidor-Medium-Travel-Perfect/dp/B019Y7AQIU/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=boveda+medium+bag&qid=1564142575&s=gateway&sr=8-2&th=1
  • Options
    Founders Club

I'm gonna buy 'em today and they will be smoked within 30 hrs. Might just risk not humidity solution.

@UW_Doog_Bot I'm a little concerned about altitude. Gonna be up near 1000 ft. You reckon these will stay lit?

People in Denver do enjoy cigars.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Also 30 hour yeah fuck it. Just buy them in tubes. Problem solved.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,865
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

My recent studies tell me about 3 days if stored in a closet. But, heres a trick! Get a large ziplock bag (like quart size) and then a smaller sandwich size ziplock. Put a damp (not wet) sponge (use DI water if you have some) in the small ziplock and leave it open. Then put the sponge in ziplock inside the large ziplock with the stogies. Will keep forever, except now you have the opposite problem. After two weeks they will be overhumidified and start molding.

The BEST way to solve this is to see if they sell tiny Boveda packs (65-72% RH) at the cigar place and place one of those in the Ziploc bag alone with the cigars, and they will keep for weeks. Or buy the mini packs off Amazon (they are dirt cheap).

Or, be a baller like me and buy a thousand dollar humidor and stock it full like a fucking boss.

You really fucked up my whole money plan with this cigar thing @UW_Doog_Bot

Swaye, seriously, don’t try crack.
  • Options
    DHDDHD Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,407
    Founders Club
    Swaye, two solid thumbs up for your commitment to cancer ... err ... enjoying a fine cigar. Well done.

Hope your new bride doesn't ruin you as you're a beacon for all of us.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Also 30 hour yeah fuck it. Just buy them in tubes. Problem solved.

If I'm taking 2-3 with me somewhere, I'll put them in tubes rather than my more bulky travel humidors that hold around 6 and 15. Order a few sticks in tubes and save the tubes, most are lined with red cedar. I've been fine smoking after a week in a tube if conditions aren't extreme.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2019
    Swaye said:

DHD said:

Swaye, two solid thumbs up for your commitment to cancer ... err ... enjoying a fine cigar. Well done.

#metoo

Sadly, the above photos only tell part of the story. So that humidor is my medium term storage humidor. I also have an acrylic desktop (fancy tupperdore basically) that I keep all my "about to smoke" stogies - has a full box of Papas Fritas and about 40 assorted singles and samplers in it now. I also converted an old Jeep refrigerator I had into a long term storage area and that has 6 boxes (including two boxes of Cubans) in it right now ageing for a year.

All three humidors are humidty controlled with Boveda packs, and I have networked Boveda Butler RH sensors in all three all bluetooth synced to an app on my phone. This whole thing started like two months ago when Doog_Bot sent me a small starter Humidor, which I now use as a drying box for sticks I plan to smoke in the next couple days. I step down the RH from 69 to 62 throughout the process. This is the issue being FS. I cannot do anythign by half measure. If I start something, I will go full bore until I am in jail, broke, or dead. FML.

I bet you make a great employee, killing bugs and all.

Which brings me back to my second point, a reiteration if you will.

DON’T TRY CRACK.

You my brother have that full bore addiction gene. I as well... I blame the white man.

EDIT: How’s being married and shit? You a dad yet or what? Shocked we haven’t heard any complaining yet.
  • Options
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

DHD said:

#metoo

Sadly, the above photos only tell part of the story. So that humidor is my medium term storage humidor. I also have an acrylic desktop (fancy tupperdore basically) that I keep all my "about to smoke" stogies - has a full box of Papas Fritas and about 40 assorted singles and samplers in it now. I also converted an old Jeep refrigerator I had into a long term storage area and that has 6 boxes (including two boxes of Cubans) in it right now ageing for a year.

All three humidors are humidty controlled with Boveda packs, and I have networked Boveda Butler RH sensors in all three all bluetooth synced to an app on my phone. This whole thing started like two months ago when Doog_Bot sent me a small starter Humidor, which I now use as a drying box for sticks I plan to smoke in the next couple days. I step down the RH from 69 to 62 throughout the process. This is the issue being FS. I cannot do anythign by half measure. If I start something, I will go full bore until I am in jail, broke, or dead. FML.

DON’T TRY CRACK.

You my brother have that full bore addiction gene. I as well... I blame the white man.

EDIT: How’s being married and shit? You a dad yet or what? Shocked we haven’t heard any complaining yet.
    I try to keep my marital issues out of the middle of the store. For now.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

DHD said:

#metoo

DON’T TRY CRACK.

You’re a better man than I... plus I have no friends to complain to and you degenerates are the closest to frens I gots.

FML

Give it time though... I’ll be here waiting.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

DHD said:

#metoo

DON’T TRY CRACK.

You’re a better man than I... plus I have no friends to complain to and you degenerates are the closest to frens I gots.

FML

Wow this is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen on here...
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2019

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

DHD said:

#metoo

DON’T TRY CRACK.

FML

Wow this is the saddest thing I’ve ever seen on here...
    Meh 🤷🏽‍♂️ I did have a really good cigar tonight so I’ve got that going for me.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Epic bump. Black Friday sales still going at Holt's Cigars online. See excerpt of my receipt below for the insanely good prices going on right now:

E.P. Carrillo La Historia El Senador
    Box of 10 2 59.95 $119.90
    H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon Robusto Larga
    Box of 20 1 79.95 $79.95
    Montecristo Platinum #3
    Box of 27 1 118.95 $118.95

Black Friday is fantastic for mouth cancer. Who knew? Order up quick if you have any hair on your balls losers.