Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rewatching the Ohio State vs Oregon Natty from the 2014 season

GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
Founders Club
Because I am a huge loser and watch old CFB games on airplanes. We all remember Ohio State assblasting Oregon, but I forgot that Oregon was +4 in turnover margin and still got raped. That is astounding.

Urban Meyer at USC is a chilling prospect.

Comments

• Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It is. Remember though that Urban is usually only elite for about four years. After that, cracks begin to show and the cysts on his brain kick in and he really begins to miss his wife again and his teams stop playing for natties and settle into the New Years six bowel doldrums. USC doesn't have the depth of talent that Ohio State and Florida did when he took over. Urbans first class would be good, top 10-15 but not elite. His second would probably be number one in the country. That class would be sophomores in the 2022 season. We will have Huard, McMillan, Davis, maybe Puka, Redman, a large and nasty O-line on offense and a defense led by JTT, Sirmon, Hammer and a bevy of Lake recruited DB's (I know I'm missing some key kids everywhere) to combat that USC class and Urban still giving 110%. We would have them in quality depth and they might have us in top end talent. Maybe. It would be epic to watch and just might save west coast football. The winner of the P12 title game (annual UW v USC game) would be a tough out in the semi-final every year and the loser would probably rape some poor team in the Rose or Fiesta bowels.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,095
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Gladstone said:

Because I am a huge loser and watch old CFB games on airplanes. We all remember Ohio State assblasting Oregon, but I forgot that Oregon was +4 in turnover margin and still got raped. That is astounding.

Urban Meyer at USC is a chilling prospect.

Hardcore Husky called it first
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,279
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2019
    Had Oregon converted that 4th down early and taken a 14-0 lead, It could have been interesting. But yeah, it was an Ezekiel Elliott mashing for sure.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Had Oregon converted that 4th down early and taken a 14-0 lead, It could have been interesting. But yeah, it was an Ezekiel Elliott mashing for sure.

The game was over when it was 7-0 and Ohio State had a 3rd and long (11 or 12?) from inside their own 5. Pellum rushed 3, Cardale had 10 seconds to throw, picked up the first down (rather easily?) and it was quickly 7-7. That was the game.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,516
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    ntxduck said:

The game was over when it was 7-0 and Ohio State had a 3rd and long (11 or 12?) from inside their own 5. Pellum rushed 3, Cardale had 10 seconds to throw, picked up the first down (rather easily?) and it was quickly 7-7. That was the game.
    1:17 softest shit I've ever seen. Should have left the stadium then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H23kOw-oW0o
  • Options
    RatherBeBrewingRatherBeBrewing Member Posts: 1,557
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Would having Pharaoh Brown/Devon Allen/Darren Carrington/Ifo Ekpre-Olomu have helped? It doesn't matter, because truly elite teams go three deep at every position. A fucking third string QB won a national championship.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Would having Pharaoh Brown/Devon Allen/Darren Carrington/Ifo Ekpre-Olomu have helped? It doesn't matter, because truly elite teams go three deep at every position. A fucking third string QB won a national championship.

That drop was the last time I went all DDY over a TV set in anger. But at the same time, that's still four-star receiver Dwayne Stanford making the drop.

At the end of the day, Michael Thomas, Zeke Elliott and Joey Bosa were on the field for Ohio State and they're all generational NFL guys in addition to the guys who are merely starters and reserves in the league. DeFo made a Pro-Bowl off that Oregon squad. Mariota is a better NFL quarterback than people give him credit for, but he isn't Chris Miller yet much less elite. Armstead has been a serviceable starter. So has Troy Hill. Maybe Freeman gets there. Maybe Ifo would've if it weren't for his knee or Carrington would've if he weren't bat shit crazy. But that's still a giant talent deficit.

As for Urban coming to USC, second acts never go as well as you expect them to. Maybe Urban is the exception to the rule. But ask Chip Kelly in Westwood how much fun it is.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

This would be Urban’s third act, it would make him the first coach in history to win a title at three schools. And it would probably cement him in the top five all time.

It would if he does. But it's also tougher than yore making it out to come back from "Refirement." You don't go out the way Urbs did at Ohio State and bounce back in one piece.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Except he did the same thing when he left Florida. Arguably worse.
  • Options
    He wasn't essentially fired from Florida. He also was pushing 50 when he went to Ohio State as opposed to pushing 60. Could he bounce back? Sure. But getting the smell of Zach Smith off of him is going to be tough.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Yeah he’s older now true enough. The record for most arrests during a 4 year span is still his from Florida, and there were all sorts of nefarious rumors about him not unlike the Zach Smith thing.

My hope is USC, after going through its litany of recent scandals, doesn’t have the stones to hire someone with Urban’s baggage.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,430
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

He wasn't essentially fired from Florida. He also was pushing 50 when he went to Ohio State as opposed to pushing 60. Could he bounce back? Sure. But getting the smell of Zach Smith off of him is going to be tough.

No one cares about Zach Smith

Hope this helps

Urban would be there this year if he wanted to
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

No one cares about Zach Smith

Hope this helps

Urban would be there this year if he wanted to
    You sure? LA times ain't no Columbus or Gainesville fish wrapper.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

I meant Ohio State

Nobody reads newspapers anymore anyway

If we still had Sark I'd take him in a second

I'd take him over Peterman. Urbs is elite and isn't afraid to win big games.
    Pete isn’t in the Urbs/Dabo/Saban tier. But if he wins a NT at Washington then he is.
    It would take a few. Urbs is all kinds of better than Pete. He beats er'buddy. Dude has done it at every stop, in different ways.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

truly halfbrains this bored is if they think usc would be competent enough to hire urbs. usc would first have to hire a competent athletic director, of which, i have no doubt keyshawn johnson or lendale white will be named the next trooj AD, whom will fire helton, and end up hiring jeff fisher or jack del rio.

"in the end, we wanted to stay within the USC family and loved coach's consistency in the NFL."

christ.

Hey. Who the fuck are you to question the ways of Troy? These people fucking own West coast football and it's not close. Ok? Check the record books.

If they want to stay in the SC family, then that's what they do and they know better than you how to win. They're fucking winners down there.

SC people are just better at life. Don't hate. Contemplate.