Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Big college football changes

Comments

• Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2019

I never understood the violent opposition to bowl games. Your media device has an off switch or the ability to watch other programming

I hardly watch any of them but its nice to know they are there in case I do

it's because of how they're named now. it really just pisses off the collective traditional football fan to have to see bowls now go by names like

- Cheez-It Bowl
    - Fight Hunger Bowl
    - O'Brady's Beef Bowl
    - Belk Bowl
    - etc

• Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    HuskyJW said:

alumni94 said:
    Less is more??

GTFO

Mid-March do you sit around wishing you would have watched less college football?
    Yes, if it was the 6-6 shit team vs. the 6-6 shit team in the toilet bowl.
  • Options
    alumni94alumni94 Member Posts: 4,849
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Meek said:

I never understood the violent opposition to bowl games. Your media device has an off switch or the ability to watch other programming

it's because of how they're named now. it really just pisses off the collective traditional football fan to have to see bowls now go by names like

- Cheez-It Bowl
    - Fight Hunger Bowl
    - O'Brady's Beef Bowl
    - Belk Bowl
    - etc

Maybe they should give them a real name like, "Everybody get's a trophy bowl"
  • Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Meek said:

- Cheez-It Bowl
    - Fight Hunger Bowl
    - O'Brady's Beef Bowl
    - Belk Bowl
    - etc

What if its more political? Like The Fallen Fetus Bowl in Montgomery, Alabama
  • Options
    GreenRiverGatorzGreenRiverGatorz Member Posts: 10,147
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Meek said:

- Cheez-It Bowl
    - Fight Hunger Bowl
    - O'Brady's Beef Bowl
    - Belk Bowl
    - etc

I like it that way, it signals that those bowls are shit tier. The Rose Bowl, and hell, even the Holiday Bowl and Sun Bowl are not devalued with more shit tier bowls being added.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2019
    alumni94 said:

HuskyJW said:

alumni94 said:
    Less is more??

GTFO

Mid-March do you sit around wishing you would have watched less college football?
    Yes, if it was the 6-6 shit team vs. the 6-6 shit team in the @GrundleStiltzkin toilet bowl.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,931
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

When I grew up the PAC 8 got one bowl bid to the Rose and we were THANKFUL for it even though USC or UCLA always went with a brief Stanford dynasty of two years. Even back then leagues other than the Big Ten or Pac 8 had nothing that great to protect so they let everyone go. That got the southern bowls like the Gator Bowl going.

NBC started the New Years day tradition of the Sugar, Rose, and prime time Orange Bowl in the 60's. But other bowls did exist. The WAC started the Fiesta Bowl around 1970 to give ASU a bowl game which turned out to be the BYU bolw game

One thing we do great in this country is take a good thing and expand it to death.

In 1975 when the Pac and Big Ten eliminated the champion only clause it was a big deal. Oddly enough the Rose was still the first bowl the Huskies made. The Sun Bowl in 79 was big against Texas. The minor bowls weren't quite as minor then and I always looked forward to any bowl the DAWGS made. Hell we played Bama in 86

The playoffs were always going to damage ALL bowls among causal fans and now even more rabid fans. The Rose isn't quite the same when you miss the playoffs. It just isn't

Life goes on

I miss the Orange County Bowl!!