Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

(Real) Greatest 8th album in rock music history pole?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,954
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
Increasingly this becomes a Beatles vs Stones show as we get into the later innings. But wait - why the fuck did it take Pink Floyd so bloody long to get their good songs in there? And AOC gets her big shot.

(Real) Greatest 8th album in rock music history pole? 26 votes

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People
3%
huskyhooligan 1 vote
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
7%
whlinderHHusky 2 votes
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
11%
Gladstonebiak1BearsWiin 3 votes
Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door
0%
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
50%
RaceBannonSwayeSoutherndawgBennyBeaverMad_SonYouKnowItalumni94LebamDawgNEsnake12El_KRDRUSMChawkJoeEDangerously 13 votes
Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
15%
dfleaYellowSnow89uteGilbystaint 4 votes
Neil Young - Zuma
3%
chuck 1 vote
Queen - The Game
0%
Kinks - Lola vs Powerman and the Moneygoround
0%
Write-in Option
7%
theknowledgeGwad 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Pepper, for better or worse, is probably the most influential rock record of all time. It's cliche to say so but it's the truth. I think there are better Beatles records though. I respeck Dark Side a lot, especially on good stereo equipment. But I'm just not a space rock guy in my soul.

Now, Let it Bleed is a record I've probably listened to more than the rest of these combined. You've got the big Hot Rocks tracks like Gimme Shelter, but the deep tracks are where it's at on Let it Bleed. Monkey Man is a coked out as the Stones got- e.g., see helicopter scene in Goodfellas.
  • Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,548
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Had to go with Floyd over Sgt Pepper and Full Moon Fever is pretty damn good too
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,416
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Can't wait until we get to 11 and the Wall

I love Comfortably Numb - both the song and the feeeling
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Can't wait until we get to 11 and the Wall

I love Comfortably Numb - both the song and the feeeling

Floyd and Fleetwood Mac figure prominently in extra innings. But the Beatles and Stones have plenty of fight left in them.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Kinks were were always stuck in 4th place of the original British Invasion groups, but don't sleep on their late 60s and early 70s albums. Lola was a lot more than just the title track and hit single.

• Options
    GwadGwad Member Posts: 2,855
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Write-in Option
    Too many goodies.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gwad said:

Too many goodies.

Truth. The field is surprisingly strong this far in. Seems like with most of the post post 60s and 70's artists, they start to run out of good material by the 4th or 5th album in.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
    Shame.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

Shame.

If you expect #1 on Rolling Stone Mag's list of the top 500 albums of all time to poll well on a college football message bored you, Sir, are mistaken.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,624
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Young - Zuma
    Tough one yella. I threw my vote away on a third party candidate. Zuma has a special place for me. I went through some tumultuous times in my 20s, with chicks and work/finances but mainly chicks. Zuma always spoke to me in my foggy, heavy drinking, frequently depressed state in a way no other album ever has.

But Dark Side should win this.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,416
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Tough one yella. I threw my vote away on a third party candidate. Zuma has a special place for me. I went through some tumultuous times in my 20s, with chicks and work/finances but mainly chicks. Zuma always spoke to me in my foggy, heavy drinking, frequently depressed state in a way no other album ever has.

I'd play stupid girl loud when fighting
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

You really should due more fly fishing with the kind of tastes you have. Not a gear chucker musically at all.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,624
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Neil Young - Zuma

chuck said:

You really should due more fly fishing with the kind of tastes you have. Not a gear chucker musically at all.
    Hard to unbecome a gear chucker. When I do fly fish it's with a big, weighted, rubber legged stonefly, a dropper to a single egg, split shot pinched on the leader, and a big ass corkie as an indicator. Basically jig and bobber fishing. I'll even put shrimp oil on them where allowed.

I look down my nose at myself while doing it.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Hard to unbecome a gear chucker. When I do fly fish it's with a big, weighted, rubber legged stonefly, a dropper to a single egg, split shot pinched on the leader, and a big ass corkie as an indicator. Basically jig and bobber fishing. I'll even put shrimp oil on them where allowed.

Truth.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

chuck said:

I all chuck gear all the time with a fly rod. Axe @dflea . I was fishing a plastic bead egg with split shot and big ass bobber strike indicator. I could have borrowed his plastic worm and got to the glory hole first, it would have been me that caught the fish.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Sucks for Sgt Pepper because it was an incredible album.

Kinks also had some bad luck with this draw.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mad_Son said:

I’d vote Pepper over Dark Side.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Mad_Son said:

I’d vote Pepper over Dark Side.
    Dark Side is one of my top 10 albums all time, but to each his own.
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,573
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Write-in Option
    I love REM but I feel they lost something special when they switched from IRS to WB. Fables of the Reconstruction, Life's Rich Pageant, Reckoning and Murmur are all lights out albums released by IRS. Even their B-side album Dead Letter Office is good. From the moment they released Green in '88 or '89 they went from being a southern rock, college band to a slicked up, ultra produced version of what they were. Moments of brilliance but no consistency and none of that essential southernness that initially made them special. JMO.