Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest 6th album in rock music history?

Comments

• Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,221
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    BearsWiin said:

There are two iconic songs on Back in Black and a lot of forgettable ones

Rubber Soul has been the most influential of the nominees, but PG is quintessential LZ

Two? No. That's a load of shit.

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill
    Rock & Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Nobody has forgotten any of those songs. Some play in stadiums every weekend. In fact, play any song on that album at a party and most of the crowd will know the song even if they haven't heard it in 30 years, unless you're in Faggotville or something.

22 million copies of BiB sold in the US, vs. 6 million copies of Rubber Soul sold. Not that number sold equals quality, but it's one way to measure music that can be quantified.

Rubber Soul isn't in the same league, and it isn't close.. Go ahead and line them up song on song. Only really old fuckers and fly anglers are going to pick Rubber Soul.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2019
    Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
    dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Rubber Soul has been the most influential of the nominees, but PG is quintessential LZ

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

Nobody has forgotten any of those songs. Some play in stadiums every weekend. In fact, play any song on that album at a party and most of the crowd will know the song even if they haven't heard it in 30 years, unless you're in Faggotville or something.

22 million copies of BiB sold in the US, vs. 6 million copies of Rubber Soul sold. Not that number sold equals quality, but it's one way to measure music that can be quantified.

Rubber Soul isn't in the same league, and it isn't close.. Go ahead and line them up song on song. Only really old fuckers and fly anglers are going to pick Rubber Soul.
    Somebody doesn't understnad the meaning of the word "influential"

Back in Black and You Shook Me are the only two iconic songs on the album. The others are, like, oh yeah, that's AC/DC, yeah whatever pass the bong

I consider myself an AC/DC fan but whenever I hear Shoot to Thrill on the radio I turn it off because it's screechy pop garbage
  • Options
    AC/DC - Back in Black

dflea said:

Swaye said:

This one won't be close. Master of Puppets, Back in Black and Appetite for Destruction are pretty much the big three metal albums ever.

No it won't because of our boring, cliche, frat boy kultur as many have pointed out. IFL BIB and have played the shit out of it and my band in college used to cover several of its songs. BUT Rubber Souls and Hwy 61 both beat it in terms of influence on rock history. Dylan going electric in 1965 and the Beatles moving beyond basic boy loves gurl songs to more complex songwriting marks the birth of "classic" rock. @Dennis_DeYoung in spite of AC DC being is favorite band will agree with me that Rubber Soul is more important.

Nope. The album that confirmed AC/DC would carry on is way more important than the Beatles figuring out how to quit making teenage girl music.

I fish bait though, so take that into consideration.
    This

I know that Bon Scott was God and all that and agree but Back in Black was awesome

As long as the brothers were alive things would be fine
    This isn't entirely accurate. I don't things were as long the the brothers Young were alive. BIB is among the greatest hard rock records of all time. And For Those About to Rock was good, but not great. After that the 80's were shit of AC/DC. Razor's Edge was OK but I can't even listen to Thunderstruck anymore due to overplay.
    For Those About to Rock and Flick of the Switch are both good rock albums. Go listen to FOTS - tell me it isn't a solid rock album. The rest, yeah - I hear you.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    Founders Club
    edited June 2019
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    Honorable Mention, and its their 3rd best album

• Options
    LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,551
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    went with the best that Paul Simon did - but the others are really good also.

Friend of mine went and saw the African band that made the record with him. I asked him how it was - "picture the entire Graceland album without Paul Simon", I chuckled
  • Options
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    BearsWiin said:

Somebody doesn't understnad the meaning of the word "influential"

Back in Black and You Shook Me are the only two iconic songs on the album. The others are, like, oh yeah, that's AC/DC, yeah whatever pass the bong

I consider myself an AC/DC fan but whenever I hear Shoot to Thrill on the radio I turn it off because it's screechy pop garbage

Someone doesn't understand the meaning of the word "opinion".
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dylan - Highway 61 Revisted
    dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

I dont fly fish a-hole.
  • Options
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    chuck said:

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

I dont fly fish a-hole.
    lol

You picked Dylan.

Plus, fly guys are the cool kids. I didn't think it was an accusation that would offend anyone when I poasted it.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,630
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dylan - Highway 61 Revisted
    dflea said:

chuck said:

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

I dont fly fish a-hole.
    lol

You picked Dylan.

Plus, fly guys are the cool kids. I didn't think it was an accusation that would offend anyone when I poasted it.
    Not offended I just like talking that way. I've done a little fly fishing and even built a nice 6 weight once. I'm a use whatever gets me the most fish with the least wasted time, effort and money type of fisherman though and fly fishing rarely meets that criteria

Dylan isn't for everyone, though it's been rare for me to find folks who dont appreciate him given a chance.

I like a little ACDC. I just dont take them real seriously.
  • Options
    AC/DC - Back in Black

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

@dflea so Rubber Soul has about 6 or 7 all time classics and another 4 really good songs. Back in Black has 4 classics and 2 or 3 just good songs.

But the difference is how much Rubber Soul moved the art form forward. In My Life and Norwegian Wood were more ground breaking than anything on Back in Black. And people also forget that they had the double A side of We Can Work it Out / Day Tripper that came out at the same time and those songs weren’t even on Rubber Soul.

Lastly, because I’m a fly guy you should just accept that, culturally speaking, I am superior and have better taste.
    lol

I was going to argue this point with you until I remembered that you're right.

I just feel obliged to go to the mat for AC/DC regardless of the conversation or contest.

• Options

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

@dflea so Rubber Soul has about 6 or 7 all time classics and another 4 really good songs. Back in Black has 4 classics and 2 or 3 just good songs.

But the difference is how much Rubber Soul moved the art form forward. In My Life and Norwegian Wood were more ground breaking than anything on Back in Black. And people also forget that they had the double A side of We Can Work it Out / Day Tripper that came out at the same time and those songs weren’t even on Rubber Soul.

Lastly, because I’m a fly guy you should just accept that, culturally speaking, I am superior and have better taste.
    https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-the-beatles-revolver-gave-brian-wilson-a-nervous-breakdown-4b3939c4e0e5

When Brian Wilson first heard the Beatles’ 1965 album Rubber Soul, he was so astonished by the album that the next morning, he went straight to his piano and started writing “God Only Knows” with his songwriting partner Tony Asher.

Wilson knew that Rubber Soul — an album that contained the most mature songwriting from John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison yet, and exhibited the beginnings of a studio effects revolution — was a glimpse into the future of rock music, and that the Beatles were at the forefront. As cofounder of the Beach Boys, he knew that music was changing and for his group to stay on top in the industry, he would have to make something just as good, or better.

The result was Pet Sounds, released May 16, 1966. It was the Beach Boys’ greatest artistic achievement; one that would never be reached by the group again.

Rubber Soul kicked the Beach Boys in the butt and spurred them to make Pet Sounds; that musical arms race revolutionized pop music. Back in Black was oh hey, they got a new lead singer and are still making albums, cool
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,538
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Zep could probably win every one of these poles if more of you guys understood culture.
  • Options
    PurpleJ said:

Zep could probably win every one of these poles if more of you guys understood culture.

or music
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beatles - Rubber Soul
    PurpleJ said:

They’ve won 2 out of 5 so far. That’s not bad.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,965
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Beatles - Rubber Soul
    chuck said:

dflea said:

chuck said:

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

I dont fly fish a-hole.
    lol

You picked Dylan.

Not offended I just like talking that way. I've done a little fly fishing and even built a nice 6 weight once. I'm a use whatever gets me the most fish with the least wasted time, effort and money type of fisherman though and fly fishing rarely meets that criteria

Dylan isn't for everyone, though it's been rare for me to find folks who dont appreciate him given a chance.

I like a little ACDC. I just dont take them real seriously.
    After watched @dflea get the big fat hen on the 6” worm I decided I need to start chucking gear at these migratory fish. Fly fishing will always be the way to go on land locked river trout. But you gear guys have a major advantage in the coastal waters.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,095
    Beatles - Rubber Soul

dflea said:

BearsWiin said:

Title track
    Hells Bells
    You Shook Me......
    Shoot to Thrill

For me it was basically In My Life and Norwegian Wood vs Shook Me and Hell's Bells. Number of good songs on both albums but toe to toe Rubber Soul wins on top.
  • Options
    AC/DC - Back in Black
    BearsWiin said:

https://medium.com/cuepoint/how-the-beatles-revolver-gave-brian-wilson-a-nervous-breakdown-4b3939c4e0e5

When Brian Wilson first heard the Beatles’ 1965 album Rubber Soul, he was so astonished by the album that the next morning, he went straight to his piano and started writing “God Only Knows” with his songwriting partner Tony Asher.

Wilson knew that Rubber Soul — an album that contained the most mature songwriting from John Lennon, Paul McCartney and George Harrison yet, and exhibited the beginnings of a studio effects revolution — was a glimpse into the future of rock music, and that the Beatles were at the forefront. As cofounder of the Beach Boys, he knew that music was changing and for his group to stay on top in the industry, he would have to make something just as good, or better.

The result was Pet Sounds, released May 16, 1966. It was the Beach Boys’ greatest artistic achievement; one that would never be reached by the group again.

Rubber Soul kicked the Beach Boys in the butt and spurred them to make Pet Sounds; that musical arms race revolutionized pop music. Back in Black was oh hey, they got a new lead singer and are still making albums, cool

So, in the opinion of the Beach Boys, Rubber Soul is the more significant album?

Good to know.

Are we done now, or is the 'chocolate is better than vanilla' conversation next?
  • Options
    AC/DC - Back in Black

After watched @dflea get the big fat hen on the 6” worm I decided I need to start chucking gear at these migratory fish. Fly fishing will always be the way to go on land locked river trout. But you gear guys have a major advantage in the coastal waters.

It's the cold and colored water that puts a fly guy at a real disadvantage for winter steelhead. The water that day was damn cold and pretty colored up, so that worm was just a way to get noticed.

In the summer time, the gear guy has way less of an advantage over fly gear. Rivers are open again now. Grab your flies and let's go kill a summer run.