Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Avenatti

MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Swaye's Wigwam
He’s charged with trying to extort Nike to prevent him from going public with charges they paid oregon players and/or their families. Extortion is a crime, but it doesn’t mean the allegation against Nike isn’t true. Why no NCAA investigation? Or does the NCAA just not give a fuck anymore? Gone are the days when an player got a job he didn’t have to work to much at and the school getting the hammer for it seem to be long gone.

Comments

• ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,512
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    If you think Hopkins isn’t paying guys you’re fucking stupid. College basketball is the Wild West, and yes, no one cares. Kansas, Kentucky and duke are the 3 most blatant violators. If the NCAA started caring they’d torpedo their own product.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    I dont like italian dudes those greasy bastards
  • BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    The hammer will fall any day now
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,719
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

He’s charged with trying to extort Nike to prevent him from going public with charges they paid oregon players and/or their families. Extortion is a crime, but it doesn’t mean the allegation against Nike isn’t true. Why no NCAA investigation? Or does the NCAA just not give a fuck anymore? Gone are the days when an player got a job he didn’t have to work to much at and the school getting the hammer for it seem to be long gone.

I don't think the NCAA has given a fuck in the past 10 years or so.

Everyone (except maybe Vanderbilt) in the $EC and half of college basketball does it. Everyone knows it.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Everyone (except maybe Vanderbilt) in the $EC and half of college basketball does it. Everyone knows it.

And that's the problem. By turning a blind eye for so long, it's become institutionalized. There's almost nothing the NCAA can do about it now short of blowing the whole product up and starting over. I mean, what happens when the NCAA suddenly takes their governing body duties seriously and starts handing down bowl bans and scholarship reductions to every program that's paying players? Who tunes in when Cal and WSU beat Nevada and New Mexico State in the semis to face off in the CFB Championship Game because every other D1 program is ineligible?

They're not fucking up by turning a blind eye to what Oregon's doing now, they already fucked up way back when their punishment for previous rules violations was a toothy blowjob. Just like they fucked up long ago by ignoring the fact that the Alabama football program is very publicly an exotic car leasing agency.

The damage was done long ago, and now the band aid would hurt way too much to peel off. This is just what it is now: NCAA revenue sports are the semi-pros, with only the most retarded fans believing the "amateur scholar-athletes" lip service. Petersen was voted by his peers (the group who would MOST know) as the most honest broker in college football. I'm not naive enough to believe, though, that this means no UW player is getting paid. I think it just means that the UW staff isn't paying players directly or making those kind of promises. Coach Pete can't play head coach and booster police.

It's just a matter of degrees. Some programs have boosters that'll treat players right, other programs have coaches who will actually sit down across from a player and his family and flash $10K cash ("Coach, you're not even close," was the response, according to some article I can't find anymore). If you believe that the going rate for a 5-star QB in SEC country is less than six figures cash, I hope you wear a foam helmet at all times, as I'm sure that number has only climbed since Cam Newton's dad was requiring that a whole decade ago.

If I were to propose a solution to the NCAA, in an effort to level the playing field somewhat and reduce the "forgone conclusion" that college football has become at the pointy end (read: broaden fan support), it would be this: Make a very public statement that the NCAA revenue sports model is broken, take responsibility (to the point of listing specific examples of overlooked corruption from as many disparate programs as possible), and wipe the slate clean. The system is too broken to punish the past, but new sheriff in town moving forward:

1.) Hire 130 compliance officers (or however many FBS schools there are), and assign one per school, reporting directly to the NCAA. Member institutions foot the bill for this.
    2.) Start actually policing and punishing misbehavior.
    3.) Place a limit on non-coaching (e.g. recruiting and "QC") staff. This shit is getting out of control.
    4.) Stricter and actually enforced limits on class size.
    5.) All scholarships are guaranteed four years across the board, not just in certain conferences.

[/TequillaLongRant]

Oregon is dirty but Peterman wins the right way!

ntxduck said:

If you think Hopkins isn’t paying guys you’re fucking stupid. College basketball is the Wild West, and yes, no one cares. Kansas, Kentucky and duke are the 3 most blatant violators. If the NCAA started caring they’d torpedo their own product.

Did I say anything about Hopkins? Go fuck yourself.

If you think nike isn’t paying Oregon football players you’re fucking stupid. No way a top recruit goes to play for a mediocre unproven coach with getting paid. Idiot.
    Clearly aren’t paying enough. I’m pro-giving money to poor kids sacrificing their brains and long term health for our entertainment. If you’re not, fuck you
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2019
    ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

If you think nike isn’t paying Oregon football players you’re fucking stupid. No way a top recruit goes to play for a mediocre unproven coach with getting paid. Idiot.
    Clearly aren’t paying enough. I’m pro-giving money to poor kids sacrificing their brains and long term health for our entertainment. If you’re not, fuck you
    Since Hopkins won the pac 12, do you have a point? Idiot.

Fuck off dip shit. It’s not about the debate if athletes should be paid or not. Fucking dumb ass logical fallacy bringing up mother fucker.

Why so defensive of the cheating ducks? Fuck head.
  • EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 3,989
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    ntxduck said:

Did Damone say anything about Hopkins? Go fuck yourself.

ntxduck said:

ntxduck said:

Fuck that noise and fuck the kids.

If they werent getting a football scholarship they'd be in jail.

Yeah, I bet paying players $5000 each per year (or whatever a school like WSU could sustainably afford) would stop a kid from taking $100K for a year of hoops! Let's pay the players and solve everything!

There is no way to pay the players their market value without widening the haves/have-nots gulf even further than it already is. You'd have to create a pay scale that EVERY school can afford, which just wouldn't be all that much. It wouldn't stop players from wanting/taking more than that "base salary." Ntxduck, you're conflating two separate problems that should both be addressed.

No, I’m saying I’m cool with any school paying players under the table. I understand the impossibilities of a legal pay to play (esp cuz of title 9). If UW wants to start blatantly handing out 50k coffee cups to kids I’d be cool with that too. Always have been.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,280
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

Yeah, I bet paying players $5000 each per year (or whatever a school like WSU could sustainably afford) would stop a kid from taking $100K for a year of hoops! Let's pay the players and solve everything!

There is no way to pay the players their market value without widening the haves/have-nots gulf even further than it already is. You'd have to create a pay scale that EVERY school can afford, which just wouldn't be all that much. It wouldn't stop players from wanting/taking more than that "base salary." Ntxduck, you're conflating two separate problems that should both be addressed.

No, I’m saying I’m cool with any school paying players under the table. I understand the impossibilities of a legal pay to play (esp cuz of title 9). If UW wants to start blatantly handing out 50k coffee cups to kids I’d be cool with that too. Always have been.
    Fair enough. It's a defensible position.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker

ntxduck said:

Bitter isn’t a good look on you.

I wouldn’t be shocked if 50% or more programs are doing it. And the ones that don’t do it, aren’t winning. Even a coach like Petersen who I think is completely against it, is susceptible to having a few boosters do this stuff without his knowledge. College atheletics is a dirty system, and with all the money flowing, the NCAA does not want to fuck with the gravy train.
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

Title IX ensures this will never happen.

You would have SJW’s all over the fucking place shift their view from free college and absolving student loans to demanding the Women’s golf team get paid as much as Bama’s DE’s (Shoutout DDY!!).
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam

ntxduck said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if 50% or more programs are doing it. And the ones that don’t do it, aren’t winning. Even a coach like Petersen who I think is completely against it, is susceptible to having a few boosters do this stuff without his knowledge. College atheletics is a dirty system, and with all the money flowing, the NCAA does not want to fuck with the gravy train.
    Fuck off.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,272
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2019

ntxduck said:

Fuck off.
    New boared motto
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited May 2019
    Quooks still getting triggered with moneybag references? JFC...

Lack of self awareness WTFs all around.

Own your baggage already. Life is much better.

Self Awareness Cliff Notes:

-Petersen's OKG mantra limits recruiting potential and UW success.
    -Oregon pays players with the Swoosh to come to Eugene.

Capiche?