Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

With All That Being Said....

Comments

• Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,054
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Doogles said:

Too many here keep trying to label him a "classic Pete try hard", solely because he's short and white. He's quite the opposite though. He's a gun slinger with decent mobility, subpar accuracy, and absolutely horrible decision making.

BBK was the only successful white ACTUAL try hard we’ve really had. Everyone else has either been a fraud (Brownsocks) or a fuckbag without talent (Haener).

I want to die.
    Off top Nick Harris, Dissly, Myles Bryant, Ezekiel Turner, Littleton and Sample are successful try hards
    Dissly is not a try hard in any sense. He had big time physical characteristics. Sample either.

Too wrapped up in stars. Try hards are guys who have to try harder because they don’t have the physical characteristics.

Bryant and Harris, sure. Littleton is just a normal dude. Same with Turner.

Look at Sample’s combine numbers - no fucking way is he a try hard. Nothing to overcome.

Bryant and Harris are hard nuts to crack, but I would give it to them.

If you have a team full of Dexter Lawrences and Trevor Lawrences, you can have a guy like Renfrow who makes a lot of plays with quickness and smarts (he and Bryant are really similar). However, they can only be successful when they are a change of pace or strategy.

BBK still got washed against tOSU, but he’s truly big time in backside pursuit.

And I’m a guy who can appreciate when a man is great in backside pursuit.
    Just because you're a big dude doesn't mean you can't be a try-hard. I doubt anyone expected Gaines, Sample, and Dissly to be be NFL draft picks based on their high school physical characteristics. Just like BBK, they tried hard and got there. It's weird that you're whittling down the try-hard definition to small white guy so that it only includes BBK.
    What is the common thread about the guys you mentioned... I'm trying to sense it... trying... hmmm... what could it be?

Too many here keep trying to label him a "classic Pete try hard", solely because he's short and white. He's quite the opposite though. He's a gun slinger with decent mobility, subpar accuracy, and absolutely horrible decision making.

BBK was the only successful white ACTUAL try hard we’ve really had. Everyone else has either been a fraud (Brownsocks) or a fuckbag without talent (Haener).

I want to die.
    I was listing some other successful white ACTUAL try-hards that we've had. Understand now?
  • Options
    Founders Club

Doogles said:

I want to die.
    Off top Nick Harris, Dissly, Myles Bryant, Ezekiel Turner, Littleton and Sample are successful try hards
    Dissly is not a try hard in any sense. He had big time physical characteristics. Sample either.

Too wrapped up in stars. Try hards are guys who have to try harder because they don’t have the physical characteristics.

Look at Sample’s combine numbers - no fucking way is he a try hard. Nothing to overcome.

If you have a team full of Dexter Lawrences and Trevor Lawrences, you can have a guy like Renfrow who makes a lot of plays with quickness and smarts (he and Bryant are really similar). However, they can only be successful when they are a change of pace or strategy.

Just because you're a big dude doesn't mean you can't be a try-hard. I doubt anyone expected Gaines, Sample, and Dissly to be be NFL draft picks based on their high school physical characteristics. Just like BBK, they tried hard and got there. It's weird that you're whittling down the try-hard definition to small white guy so that it only includes BBK.
    What is the common thread about the guys you mentioned... I'm trying to sense it... trying... hmmm... what could it be?

I want to die.
    I was listing some other successful white ACTUAL try-hards that we've had. Understand now?
    Gaines wasn’t a try hard. He was making plays as a RS Freshman because he was talented as fuck. He was drafted in the 4th round of the NFL because he is talented as fuck. Just because he is white and an inch too short doesn’t mean he is a try hard. He’s oozing talent.

Sample and Dissly have ideal TE size, soft hands, and have perfect blocking technique so they own defenders. They were drafted in the 2nd and 4th round because they are talented as fuck. Just because they are white doesn’t mean they are try hards. They are oozing talent.

Try hards are trying hard because they lack talent or measurables. You didn’t list any ACTUAL try hards.
    I fail to understand how BBK is any different than those guys. They all weren't big time talents coming out of high school with big time offers. They all got developed. BBK also ended up with some excellent measurables. They're all either try-hards or they're all not.
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.
    Gaines wasn’t a try hard. He was making plays as a RS Freshman because he was talented as fuck. He was drafted in the 4th round of the NFL because he is talented as fuck. Just because he is white and an inch too short doesn’t mean he is a try hard. He’s oozing talent.

Sample and Dissly have ideal TE size, soft hands, and have perfect blocking technique so they own defenders. They were drafted in the 2nd and 4th round because they are talented as fuck. Just because they are white doesn’t mean they are try hards. They are oozing talent.

Try hards are trying hard because they lack talent or measurables. You didn’t list any ACTUAL try hards.
    I fail to understand how BBK is any different than those guys. They all weren't big time talents coming out of high school with big time offers. They all got developed. BBK also ended up with some excellent measurables. They're all either try-hards or they're all not.
    I didn’t say shit about BBK, take your grievances up with DDY.

I was merely addressing your hot takes on Gains, Dissly, and Sample.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

I think what BigErn is getting at is: Is Brandon Wellington a try hard?

Because, going off of 247's data coming in:
    Ben Burr-Kirven: 6'0", 221 lbs (actual freshman measurables: 6'0", 201 lbs.)
    Brandon Wellington: 6'0", 221 lbs. (actual freshman measureables: 5'11", 216 lbs.)

BBK is faster.

So are we talking about melanin or what?
  • Options
    DoogCouricsDoogCourics Member Posts: 5,739

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

Brandon Wellington: 6'0", 221 lbs. (actual freshman measureables: 5'11", 216 lbs.)

BBK is faster.

Again, I didn’t say BBK was a try hard. I was saying Gaines, Sample, and Dissly were not try hards.

Take BBK grievances up with someone else.
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

BBK is faster.

Again, I didn’t say BBK was a try hard. I was saying Gaines, Sample, and Dissly were not try hards.

Gotcha. I think the confusion comes from you defending those other three players but not BBK. Makes it seem like you're endorsing the "BBK is a try-hard" narrative. BBK, for a linebacker, has elite speed and always did. If "having elite physical attributes" includes speed, I'd think you'd include him in your anti-try-hard defense.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

BBK is faster.

Gotcha. I think the confusion comes from you defending those other three players but not BBK. Makes it seem like you're endorsing the "BBK is a try-hard" narrative. BBK, for a linebacker, has elite speed and always did. If "having elite physical attributes" includes speed, I'd think you'd include him in your anti-try-hard defense.
    Spot on. And quickness. To call BBK a try-hard and imply he somehow wasn't talented is one of the more asinine things I've ever seen, right next to Pete is a racist. What a coincidence that these fucktarded words come out of the same person's fingers.

All these guys are NFL players with some great measurables/attributes and are great ex-Huskies. They all were "meh" recruits who developed their NFL talent at UW. You know, it is possible to improve your measurables and talent level in college. It's happened. I've seen it on SportsCenter. Just because you develop from a "meh" recruit into an NFL talent doesn't make you a try-hard. Or if it does, fuck it. Good for them. Or is it just BBK that is a try hard? I think I'm seeing BBK didn't/doesn't have talent but Gaines, Sample, Dissly were ooooooozing with it. They could have gone everywhere in the country! Their mailboxes were overflowing! Fuck outta here.

You know what, good for BBK. Good for all the underrated Husky recruits who turned into NFL players. If they're the definition of try hard, maybe it's proof that trying hard is a good way to get good at football so you can get drafted, fuck the cheer squad, and make it rain.

It's such a fucking stupid debate. I don't even know what I'm debating. I regret getting involved. Check, please.
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

BBK is faster.

Wellington is more of a try-hard than Sample or Dissly. He, like BBK and Myles Bryant, definitely have to try harder due to lack of size, despite being athletic.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    How are sample and dissly all of sudden try hards? Wtf happened
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    edited May 2019

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

BBK fought containment and tackling deficiencies for his whole career because of his size and speed. He didn't start breaking down, containing and turning guys inside very well until his senior year. As a FR & SO, he overran plays constantly or had guys break his tackles too easily because his momentum sent him past a runner or receiver as soon as they hit the breaks or made a cut.

It was great to watch his improvement and tune his abilities to be as effective as he possibly could, as he began to prioritize "getting there" at the right angle, grabbing on and waiting for the help or riding on a runner's back for 5 or 6 yards as they fell forward, because if he didn't initiate the tackles half the time, there was nobody else nearby who could either, given our lack of depth in our injury-prone LB corps.

Gaines was bad-ass right from the start, and so was Dissly - both due to raw talent, size and speed/strength - 3 departments BBK was light in, but overcame to be an effective player in a badly needed area of the defense.

I look at it this way: Steve Largent was a try-hard, too. Sometimes they break through and become miraculous, but it's about 1 in 100 that do, versus the guys born with the gifts. And those "born with it" guys are who UW needs a lot more of.

And with all that being said, Jake Haener still sucks.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    FirePete said:

My boy BBK got called a try hard. That's not something that slides.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

FirePete said:

It's not as bad as it seems after the fact. The problem is up front, during recruiting. You gotta limit your try-hard types or they'll define your program, win the little games but lose the big ones, and ultimately relegate you to a top 20 program, not a top 5.

But what really matters is where you stand on Haener?
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,997
    Swaye's Wigwam

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

BBK fought containment and tackling deficiencies for his whole career because of his size and speed. He didn't start breaking down, containing and turning guys inside very well until his senior year. As a FR & SO, he overran plays constantly or had guys break his tackles too easily because his momentum sent him past a runner or receiver as soon as they hit the breaks or made a cut.

It was great to watch his improvement and tune his abilities to be as effective as he possibly could, as he began to prioritize "getting there" at the right angle, grabbing on and waiting for the help or riding on a runner's back for 5 or 6 yards as they fell forward, because if he didn't initiate the tackles half the time, there was nobody else nearby who could either, given our lack of depth in our injury-prone LB corps.

Gaines was bad-ass right from the start, and so was Dissly - both due to raw talent, size and speed/strength - 3 departments BBK was light in, but overcame to be an effective player in a badly needed area of the defense.

I look at it this way: Steve Largent was a try-hard, too. Sometimes they break through and become miraculous, but it's about 1 in 100 that do, versus the guys born with the gifts. And those "born with it" guys are who UW needs a lot more of.

Was Jerry Rice a try hard? He was pretty slow for a fast strategy receiver. Axing for a fren.
  • Options
    Alexis said:

Doogles said:

I want to die.

I want to die.

Was Jerry Rice a try hard? He was pretty slow for a fast strategy receiver. Axing for a fren.
    Great route runner and great hands & length (YKW) on a team full of MVP QB's who put the ball on a dime for him, over and over. His speed looked pretty goddamn good on his college tapes from Mississippi Valley State.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

FirePete said:

It's not as bad as it seems after the fact. The problem is up front, during recruiting. You gotta limit your try-hard types or they'll define your program, win the little games but lose the big ones, and ultimately relegate you to a top 20 program, not a top 5.

I don't know how good Haener is because I have seen him play a little against North Dakota and one series against Cal. That being said, I hope Haener only plays in mop-up duty because I'd rather have two years of Eason and four of Huard.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

FirePete said:

I don't know how good Haener is because I have seen him play a little against North Dakota and one series against Cal. That being said, I hope Haener only plays in mop-up duty because I'd rather have two years of Eason and four of Huard.
    C+ Arm. C- Head.

Our visual standards have fallen dramatically after 4 years of extreme mediocrity at QB.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited May 2019

FirePete said:

C+ Arm. C- Head.

Our visual standards have fallen dramatically after 4 years of extreme mediocrity at QB.
    One half of duty as a freshman is not enough for me to make a judgement call on Haener. I've maintained that. He looked great against North Dakota and then had a bad series against Cal. That's it.