Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Your favorite Whisk(e)y based cocktail?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

Your favorite Whisk(e)y based cocktail? 34 votes

Old Fashioned
14%
Mad_Sonalumni94TequillaBleachedAnusDawgLesGrossman 5 votes
Hot Toddy
0%
Whiskey Sour
17%
jecorneldfleaBearsWiinRDRJoeEDangerouslyUW_Doog_Bot 6 votes
Manhattan
32%
BennyBeaverDennis_DeYoungGladstonePurpleThrobberDooglesIPukeOregonGrellowPitchfork51Doog_de_JourNEsnake12YellowSnowEdwin_Bambino 11 votes
Irish Coffee
5%
SwayeLebamDawg 2 votes
New Orleans Sazerac
8%
section8Blackiespuden 3 votes
Mint Julep
0%
Jack n' Coke
8%
Fire_Marshall_Billbiak1USMChawk 3 votes
Japanese High Ball
0%
Kentucky Mule
11%
whlindergreenbloodGrundleStiltzkinDeepDawg 4 votes

Comments

• LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irish Coffee
    since I only know one - I think I will vote that way
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan
    LebamDawg said:

since I only know one - I think I will vote that way

I love Irish Coffee so much. Mine are never as good as the original though...

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,103
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiskey Sour
    The thing about a Manhattan is, I'd rather just drink straight scotch.
  • Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Manhattan
    I fucking love Manhattans. Probably my favorite two whiskey cocktails are Manhattans and Paper Planes.

MH I use Rye and then I love Dolin sweet vermouth. The vermouth matters a lot. Carpano is awesome too. As is Punt e Mes.

At my bar we are going to go with a 90 proof Rye, mostly likely and Dolin SV in a 2:1, then a barspoon of curaçao, a good amount of ango bitters and a lemon twist. Lemon twists in manhattans are critical. Probably a cherry as well. The fancy ones obviously.

Paper Planes are amazing too. I make mine like

1 whiskey (usually EW White)
    1 Aperol
    .75 lemon juice (fresh you ballbag)
    .5 Amaro CioCiaro - there are a lot of Amaros 'or amari' that are 'ok', but the best for this is CioCiaro. It was originally with Amaro Nonino, which is nice too.

Then I usually hit that shit with a few dashes of cardomom oriented bitters; or just whatever bitters I can find.

This is a menu drink for us and it's the shit.

Both a MH and a PP go up.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiskey Sour

I love straight scotch and bourbon as any man or @Doog_de_Jour here. And I've never had one of your nasty raw egg whiskey sours. But a good Manhattan with the top shelf fresh vermouth can't be beat. Ask @Dennis_DeYoung - the vermouth that 99.9% of people drink is shit and has already rotted. This shit BTW is the best stuff I've had.

Then you've never really had a whiskey sour my fren.

I'm on the fresh vermouth train but still...Manhattan is probably one of my least favorite cocktails. Not that I don't like them but...there's just always something else I'd rather be drinking instead.

I'm also of the opinion that most whiskey is sweet enough as is so that shades my preferences.

Similarly, the only reason I'll ever drink whiskey and coke is because I feel like a coke.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

I fucking love Manhattans. Probably my favorite two whiskey cocktails are Manhattans and Paper Planes.

MH I use Rye and then I love Dolin sweet vermouth. The vermouth matters a lot. Carpano is awesome too. As is Punt e Mes.

At my bar we are going to go with a 90 proof Rye, mostly likely and Dolin SV in a 2:1, then a barspoon of curaçao, a good amount of ango bitters and a lemon twist. Lemon twists in manhattans are critical. Probably a cherry as well. The fancy ones obviously.

1 Aperol
    .5 Amaro CioCiaro - there are a lot of Amaros 'or amari' that are 'ok', but the best for this is CioCiaro. It was originally with Amaro Nonino, which is nice too.

Then I usually hit that shit with a few dashes of cardomom oriented bitters; or just whatever bitters I can find.

I love you (not homo) man.
    Manhattan
    The other whiskey cocktail that is a fucking killer (also on our menu) is the Penicillin.

That thing is fucking great. They are impossible to make, but fuck they are incredible.

It's boring scotch like Famous Grouse, then ginger syrup (you have to juice ginger, then you to 1:1 with sugar, this is why it's hard), then honey and lemon juice. On top you float islay scotch.

When we started making them for people at my friend's bar, they sold out of ginger syrup literally every night.

Other really good whiskey drinks: Scofflaw, Old Fashioned (of course), Blood & Sands are awesome, I like Brown Derbys and View Carres.
    Manhattan
    Whiskey sours are fucking incredible. Egg white, 2oz whiskey, 1 lime juice, agave. They are unreal with some bitters.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiskey Sour

The other whiskey cocktail that is a fucking killer (also on our menu) is the Penicillin.

That thing is fucking great. They are impossible to make, but fuck they are incredible.

It's boring scotch like Famous Grouse, then ginger syrup (you have to juice ginger, then you to 1:1 with sugar, this is why it's hard), then honey and lemon juice. On top you float islay scotch.

When we started making them for people at my friend's bar, they sold out of ginger syrup literally every night.

Other really good whiskey drinks: Scofflaw, Old Fashioned (of course), Blood & Sands are awesome, I like Brown Derbys and View Carres.

On the one hand I'm horrified. On the other I'm titillated and intrigued bc that is probably an awesome drink.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Whiskey Sour

Whiskey sours are fucking incredible. Egg white, 2oz whiskey, 1 lime juice, agave. They are unreal with some bitters.

I'll do this with some good orange bitters. Perfection on a hot Southern California day next to the pool.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

1 Aperol

Wait - is the bar open yet?
    Manhattan

1 Aperol

Not yet. But we know the menu and Greg has done parties as 'us'.

Getting closer all the time.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

1 Aperol

Not yet. But we know the menu and Greg has done parties as 'us'.

Getting closer all the time.
    I've heard of this Greg. He was on the TSIO making you drinks.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,659
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Manhattan

I love straight scotch and bourbon as any man or @Doog_de_Jour here. And I've never had one of your nasty raw egg whiskey sours. But a good Manhattan with the top shelf fresh vermouth can't be beat. Ask @Dennis_DeYoung - the vermouth that 99.9% of people drink is shit and has already rotted. This shit BTW is the best stuff I've had.

Sucking down a Manhattan in an old school hotel bar right now.

Had a Negroni earlier and it sucked hind tit. Gin blows.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Manhattan

Sucking down a Manhattan in an old school hotel bar right now.

Had a Negroni earlier and it sucked hind tit. Gin blows.
    At least, you have 50% good taste. That's better than some.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,516
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Whiskey Sour
    Good thread. I learned something new today.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,800
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Old Fashioned

I demand you make me one of these next time we are in Pasadena or a CFP destination